What's new

Digital Storm Computer. Anyone own?

I've owned home pc's since '92, and have built my own systems (both Intel and Amd) for over 15 years. My last build (Sabertooth 990 MB with FX8350 CPU) is 10 years old. It's fine at the moment, but time to start looking for a replacement. I've kept it running well by upgrading ram and GPU as needed. My last tweak was 4 years ago, installing Win10 on a Samsung SSD, but it's pretty much nearing the end of its upgrade life. I'm getting old and don't want to do a new build from scratch. My eyes aren't great and I haven't kept up with the latest in tech. I'm considering a pre-built, but not Dell, discount or proprietary systems. I've looked at DS for a couple years and started pricing builds in the $2K range, as I don't need fancy lights or water cooled. I can't deal with watching another youtube video, so I thought I'd start by asking if anyone here has a DS.

Since you have built your own computer, you know what parts go into one. Very few computer manufacturers produce their own parts. I do not have any direct experience with Digital Storm, but I presume they are purchasing off the shelf parts and assembling the computer, just as you have done in the past.

The last computer I purchase was from MSI (Microstar International). They are a Taiwanese computer manufacturer. While it will say made in China, it is definitely not mainland China.

In addition to assembly, MSI makes their own motherboards video cards, keyboards, etc. I purchased a high end gaming computer and was very impressed with the specifications and care in assembly. Not only was it well fitted, but it was easy to upgrade; something that those who have built their own computers in the past are likely to do.

I did have an issue with the MSI branded water cooler, as have many other. Since mine was nearly 2 years old before it failed, I simply purchased a new cooler. The CPU cooler has gotten some hard use since I purchase the computer.

I have no experience with Digital Storm, but based on what you have said I would consider getting one of those recent generation small form factor computers, something like a Intel NUC 13 or whatever AMD offers. Or an M2 Mac Mini if you don't mind Mac OS and don't desire to play PC based games.

The last computer I purchase was from MSI (Microstar International).

Thanks for the reminder. MSI, like all component manufacturers, goes in and out of favor. Now on my list to check out.

For $2000, you can get a MacBook Pro that’ll blow your socks off in every possible way.

My son-in-law says the same thing, but I'm an old dog who won't be taught new tricks. Proof of that is my continuing use of Office '97, and refusal to use my wife's Office 365. Between work and home, I have used almost every version of Windows since 3.1, so everything I use, including some 90s games, is Windows based. I'm also less of an Apple fan than Microsoft. My wife got me an Apple iPhone 13 something. I keep it turned off in a drawer, taken out once a week to be charged. If I leave the house, I toss it in the console of my 19 yo car, in case it breaks down. I don't call or text anyone, so no one does me.

I have no experience with Digital Storm, but based on what you have said I would consider getting one of those recent generation small form factor computers, something like a Intel NUC 13 or whatever AMD offers. Or an M2 Mac Mini if you don't mind Mac OS and don't desire to play PC based games.

Small form computers look interesting, but not for me. Whatever I get, I'd be adding hardware and need room for expansion. When I built my first PC, I bought the biggest case available at the time. That beast is still in use, and has served me well me thru builds and upgrades.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
My last PC was a custom built, but I got them to put it together and make it plug and play.
The place I used will be of no use to you, being on the other side of the world but maybe there's a similar place near you.
They offered ready to ship PC, parts or a PC build from scratch.
Mine has plenty of room to expand, if I want to.

My last PC was a custom built, but I got them to put it together and make it plug and play.
The place I used will be of no use to you, being on the other side of the world but maybe there's a similar place near you.
They offered ready to ship PC, parts or a PC build from scratch.
Mine has plenty of room to expand, if I want to.

I could use pcpartpicker.com to matchup the parts, and my IT son-in-law says he'll build it. It may come to that, but I've gotten lazy, and first looking into good pre-builts (not Dell, HP, anything sold by Best Buy, etc). My PC is fine, so not in a rush. Digital Storm gets good reviews and I liked the selection of parts. The only thing I didn't like was their cases with glass panels on 3 sides, preventing outside access to internal BD/dvd drives. I contacted them today and was told that they don't offer another option in cases, so they're off my list. I'm spoiled by my 17 year old beast of a case that I've used for all my builds and rebuilds, a Cooler Master Stacker 830.

I have purchased ibuypower and more recently cyberpowerpc PCs, best price point for the GPUs that I wanted.

Caught my wife in a good mood today, after I repaired Office 365 on her laptop which wouldn't allow her access to her files. An easy fix, but as a reward for my occasionally being useful, esp when it comes to computers, she gave me the ok to order a new PC. When I told her my front-runner Falcon PCs start at $4k, she said a 2k Digital Storm sounded good. Not much change in 30 years. I think our 1992 Gateway probably cost 2K, as did my 2 later builds. We joke about what each other spends, but trust each other enough not to put us in a hole. Need to finalize what I want, but I'll post after ordering, and review.

Ordered a Digital Storm Velox this morning. Went with the "Better" (I-7) listing under Intel. The only change I made was to upgrade the graphic card from GTX1650 to RTX3060. I put a GTX1650 in my 10yo home-build almost 4 years ago. I wanted something better in a new build. It was a $183 upgrade, but it pushed me over $2K, which gave me a $100 discount on the Velox. I'll post pic, specs and first impressions when it arrives. It'll be my first pre-built desktop since 2004.

An update after use:

Ordered on June 24, but due to "supply issues", I didn't receive my DS Velox until 8/1. While the build was pending, the price of my 3060 GPU option dropped $120. I called DS and asked if they'd consider refunding the difference, as the unit wasn't built yet. I told them that I'd even consider an upgrade to a 4060 GPU in lieu of refund. Within an hour I got a call back saying that they were upgrading the GPU to a 4060 AND refunding the difference of the 4060.

Since receiving the PC, I've had a problem with my MX518 mouse and Redragon K556 RGB keyboard freezing up after 10-60 minutes of use. Pressing the reset button to force a reboot, would fix the problem for the rest of the day. Being retired and looking at news and weather with my coffee for an hour or two, it wasn't a huge issue. I initially blamed Win11 which I hate, and OneDrive which is forced upon you when installing W11. After disabling fast start and sleep mode on all devices, running ram check and sfc, I finally contacted DS about the freezing issue. I got a call back within a couple hours of filling out the request. After giving the tech remote access, he ran some test and eventually upgraded the MB drivers. A week on and no issues since.

Final Thought:
Total cost after tax: $2056. Building my own from scratch several times wasn't much cheaper.

No regrets buying a Digital Storm. I've owned Gateway, Quantex and several Dell pc's, before building my own for the past 16 years. High praise to DS build and support. The unit is sitting 6" from my leg and is quiet as a mouse even during gaming. However with steel frame and tempered glass, the unit does weigh 50 pounds.

I ordered no optional lighting, but it's got more lighting than I expected. Thankfully, it does come with a remote to turn off the flashing ribbon lights.

Highly recommended if you're looking for a high end computer with good support.

Digital Storm Velox.jpg

Top Bottom