What's new

Digby(?) 1451 Pipe in need of a stem. Thoughts?

I ended up with a few pipes from a friend who passed away several years ago. Among them was the pipe pictured below.

It's marked "London" followed by what I think is "England". And what is undeniably "1451". My assumption is that it's a Digby.

The primary question for me is where can I get a stem for it? I've looked around and I am not having a lot of luck finding something that is oval in the area where the stem and pipe meet.

Also, the stem appears to be meant to be fairly short making it more challenging to locate.

Any ideas on locating replacement stems? I'd like to fit it myself though I know there are people who I can pay to do that.

Thank you for any thoughts.

1000006499.jpg

Since you want to do it yourself, you do have a couple options:

You can get preformed blanks, which you can fine shape; or, with a bit more tooling, you can cut it from rod stock.

Either way, Vermont Freehand is the one stop shop for everything you need (and a lot of stuff you don't but you'll want when you start browsing).

Since you want to do it yourself, you do have a couple options:

You can get preformed blanks, which you can fine shape; or, with a bit more tooling, you can cut it from rod stock.

Either way, Vermont Freehand is the one stop shop for everything you need (and a lot of stuff you don't but you'll want when you start browsing).
I've been looking at that website and it's a bit overwhelming.

I'm going to take some measurements and look at some more examples of that pipe with different stems then figure out which to buy.

I've been looking at that website and it's a bit overwhelming.

I'm going to take some measurements and look at some more examples of that pipe with different stems then figure out which to buy.
Probably the simplest solution would be to determine the diameter of the mortise, then choose a pre-made stem blank with a tenon the same width. Pretty much everything else you can accomplish with sandpaper and patience.

Hirsute

Used to have fun with Commander Yellow Pantyhose
You can also send it off to someone to make a new stem for it if you don’t want to DIY. Options likely range from $30ish if the stem is made from a blank, up to $100ish if it’s made from rod stock. Several options if you want to go this route.

Probably the simplest solution would be to determine the diameter of the mortise, then choose a pre-made stem blank with a tenon the same width. Pretty much everything else you can accomplish with sandpaper and patience.
Thank you for the guidance. I've got calipers, sandpaper, heck I have a barn full of miscellaneous tools that I can apply to the project.

It's the ignorance of how to do this particular thing that is causing me to drag my feet.

I'll get to measuring and research this weekend.

You can also send it off to someone to make a new stem for it if you don’t want to DIY. Options likely range from $30ish if the stem is made from a blank, up to $100ish if it’s made from rod stock. Several options if you want to go this route.
Thank you, I appreciate the information.

I really want to take this on myself, though. I don't think the pipe is worth the cost of paying someone else to fix and I think I have the stuff to do it if I can get the right stem.

Thank you for the guidance. I've got calipers, sandpaper, heck I have a barn full of miscellaneous tools that I can apply to the project.

It's the ignorance of how to do this particular thing that is causing me to drag my feet.

I'll get to measuring and research this weekend.
Also, pipedia.org (can't add the link from my phone, apparently) is a dedicated wiki for all things pipe-related. A great place to start your research, it will provide you with a treasure trove of information.

I have measured the pipe stem and ordered two stem blanks from Vermont Freehand to try to fit to the pipe. I ordered two so I have a spare if I screw up too badly and have to start again.

I've watched a couple videos and read a couple guides. If I take my time I should be able to get it done.

Please look away if you are a person of delicate sensibilities. I am about to relay a tale of tool abuse and misuse.

I received the stems from Vermont Freehand yesterday. Due to error or kindness I received three stems instead of two. I take this as a sign from the pipe gods that I will only need one.

The stem blank tenons are generous for my current project so a reduction in diameter is required. I looked at the tool Vermont Freehand sells and I think it's a little pricey for me if I am only doing one or two stems. If I decide to do more, I will certainly buy it then.

So how am I to reduce the diameter of the tenon? I perused my collection of tools and decided upon the inappropriate use of dies followed by application of hand files.

ResizedImage_2023-07-08_08-47-54_2098.jpeg

I threaded the tenon with a 7/16 - 14 die and then filed the threads away holding the tenon against the file with my thumb while turning the stem with my other hand. After I had removed the threads I threaded it again with a 3/8 - 24 die and filed those threads away.

I thought at that point that I should see if I could fit the tenon to a pipe with a larger tenon as a practice for the Digby.

My GBD Century was close, so it's the test bed. Several minutes of turning against the file later:

ResizedImage_2023-07-08_08-48-47_1039.jpeg

That's as far as I am going to go this morning.

In my next session I will thread the tenon again and file until I get it to the size of the Digby. I will need to be careful, as the tenon becomes smaller it will become more fragile.

I'm rather pleased with my progress. I suspect, however, that this is going to be the easy part. Shaping the stem to match the Digby looks like it is going to be a bit more challenging. I doubt it is going to look professionally fit, but I should have a functional stem.

I ran the garbage and recycling to the transfer station and when I got back...

Well, you know how it is.

I ran a 5/16 - 24 die down the tenon. Carefully. And I filed. And I ran the die a little further. And I filed. Then I completely threaded the tenon.

ResizedImage_2023-07-08_10-59-10_2352.jpeg

That's the poorly fitting plastic replacement below the threaded new one.

And I filed. I got it smooth and, checking for fit frequently, I crept up on a good fit. I ruffed the shiny spots on the tenon as I worked it into the pipe.
ResizedImage_2023-07-08_10-59-32_1022.jpeg
ResizedImage_2023-07-08_10-59-56_6049.jpeg

As you can see, I have a fair amount of material to remove from the stem to meet the lines of the pipe. But the tenon is fit with tools I had to hand.

ResizedImage_2023-07-08_11-00-23_2666.jpeg

Stage one is complete and now I need to figure out my plan to shape the stem. And mow my lawn. Mowing is definitely next.

Please look away if you are a person of delicate sensibilities. I am about to relay a tale of tool abuse and misuse.

I received the stems from Vermont Freehand yesterday. Due to error or kindness I received three stems instead of two. I take this as a sign from the pipe gods that I will only need one.

The stem blank tenons are generous for my current project so a reduction in diameter is required. I looked at the tool Vermont Freehand sells and I think it's a little pricey for me if I am only doing one or two stems. If I decide to do more, I will certainly buy it then.

So how am I to reduce the diameter of the tenon? I perused my collection of tools and decided upon the inappropriate use of dies followed by application of hand files.

View attachment 1682965

I threaded the tenon with a 7/16 - 14 die and then filed the threads away holding the tenon against the file with my thumb while turning the stem with my other hand. After I had removed the threads I threaded it again with a 3/8 - 24 die and filed those threads away.

I thought at that point that I should see if I could fit the tenon to a pipe with a larger tenon as a practice for the Digby.

My GBD Century was close, so it's the test bed. Several minutes of turning against the file later:

View attachment 1682970

That's as far as I am going to go this morning.

In my next session I will thread the tenon again and file until I get it to the size of the Digby. I will need to be careful, as the tenon becomes smaller it will become more fragile.

I'm rather pleased with my progress. I suspect, however, that this is going to be the easy part. Shaping the stem to match the Digby looks like it is going to be a bit more challenging. I doubt it is going to look professionally fit, but I should have a functional stem.
Nice work! Actually, getting a snug (but not too snug!) fit between mortise and tenon will likely be the hardest part. Shaping the stem will be a matter of masking tape, files, sandpaper, and patience.

Looking forward to the finished product!

Nice work! Actually, getting a snug (but not too snug!) fit between mortise and tenon will likely be the hardest part. Shaping the stem will be a matter of masking tape, files, sandpaper, and patience.

Looking forward to the finished product!
Thank you. The stem seems to be about as snug as my other pipes. I kept roughing the shiny spots until the tenon felt snug but smoothly moved once I overcame the initial very mild bind. That felt very like my GBD stem.

I'm considering using my Dremel for the rough shaping of the stem. But I fear I may need to buy a battery for it since it's been sitting for years. I much prefer corded tools for that reason.

I shall contemplate it for a while.

I ran the garbage and recycling to the transfer station and when I got back...

Well, you know how it is.

I ran a 5/16 - 24 die down the tenon. Carefully. And I filed. And I ran the die a little further. And I filed. Then I completely threaded the tenon.

View attachment 1683012

That's the poorly fitting plastic replacement below the threaded new one.

And I filed. I got it smooth and, checking for fit frequently, I crept up on a good fit. I ruffed the shiny spots on the tenon as I worked it into the pipe.
View attachment 1683015View attachment 1683016

As you can see, I have a fair amount of material to remove from the stem to meet the lines of the pipe. But the tenon is fit with tools I had to hand.

View attachment 1683020

Stage one is complete and now I need to figure out my plan to shape the stem. And mow my lawn. Mowing is definitely next.
Good work! One thing about it, at this point it will smoke, pretty much regardless of your stem shaping. Maybe that's the program; file a bit, smoke a bowl, file a bit, smoke a bowl, etc. You'll know it when it feels right.

Good work! One thing about it, at this point it will smoke, pretty much regardless of your stem shaping. Maybe that's the program; file a bit, smoke a bowl, file a bit, smoke a bowl, etc. You'll know it when it feels right.
It had occurred to me that tomorrow's POTD might well be this one.

When I got back from work this morning I settled in with a couple pipes. I smoked my Starfire and filed my Digby.

And filed. And filed.

ResizedImage_2023-07-09_11-20_41_5.jpeg

And filed and sanded.

ResizedImage_2023-07-09_11-20_41_4.jpeg

And filed, sanded and then polished with 0000 steel wool.

ResizedImage_2023-07-09_11-20_41_3.jpeg

It's close.

ResizedImage_2023-07-09_11-20_40_1.jpeg

I will think about how much more shaping I want to do.

Top Bottom