What's new

Difference between the types of Fat handle techs?

I just picked up a fat handle tech with the triangular slots and I love how it shaves. I was looking to maybe upgrade and get one in nicer condition but I was wondering if the fat handle techs with oval slots shave any different than the one I have. Does anyone have any experience or resources on this?

Thank you!

I just picked up a fat handle tech with the triangular slots and I love how it shaves. I was looking to maybe upgrade and get one in nicer condition but I was wondering if the fat handle techs with oval slots shave any different than the one I have. Does anyone have any experience or resources on this?

Thank you!
You have a Pre war Tech. They were made from about 1939 to just after WW2.
proxy.php

It is impossible to "upgrade" from a Pre war. You can't upgrade perfection. They are fantastic shavers.

Blade gaps and efficiency are all over the place with the Tech, in it's production from 1939 to the present (The Stirling) different countries of manufacture, different decades, all produced Techs with often startling performance differences.

I would say any 40's Tech is good, an English Flat Bottom Tech is probably as good as a US Pre war,
proxy.php

The problem is they are expensive in the US.

I would say your present Pre war is as good as the Tech ever got.

Nice razor to have!

I would say just get the nicest Pre war you can afford! Best upgrade you could realistically get.

Last edited:
proxy.php

It is impossible to "upgrade" from a Pre war. You can't upgrade perfection.

Blade gaps and efficiency are all over the place with the Tech, in it's production from 39 to the present (The Stirling) different countries odf manufacture, different decades, all produced Techs with often startling performance differences.

I would say any 40's Tech is good, an English Flat Bottom Tech is probably as good as a US Pre war,
proxy.php

Nice razor to have!
Thank you for all the info! I should have been clearer when I said I wanted an upgrade. My present tech has no plating left and looks pretty rough, so I was thinking of getting a pre war tech in better condition than mine to “upgrade.” Is the tech I attached another variant of the pre war tech? I found it when looking for techs to buy but I want to make sure that it performs the same as the one I currently have

Attachments

• 8B219AC9-99B1-4E1D-9574-915461AB3A6B.jpeg
    8B219AC9-99B1-4E1D-9574-915461AB3A6B.jpeg
    373.1 KB · Views: 30
Thank you for all the info! I should have been clearer when I said I wanted an upgrade. My present tech has no plating left and looks pretty rough, so I was thinking of getting a pre war tech in better condition than mine to “upgrade.” Is the tech I attached another variant of the pre war tech? I found it when looking for techs to buy but I want to make sure that it performs the same as the one I currently have
No worries, I was just being hyperbolic! But the Pre war is arguably the best Tech with the Canadian Pre war and the English FBT.

That pic looks to be one of these
proxy.php

This is a 1946-50 Gold Tech.
You can see the slots have become oval in that short time frame.

It will still give an excellent efficient yet mild shave, the gap will still be amongst the widest of the Techs. I have a Canadian military Tech thats from maybe late 40's and its an oval like the above. Shaves fantastic.

But there is a certain cachet about a Pre war. Like with many things, the closer you can get to the source, the better it will be.

Last edited:
No worries, I was just being hyperbolic! But the Pre war is arguably the best Tech with the Canadian Pre war and the English FBT.

That pic looks to be one of these
proxy.php

You can see the slots have become oval in that short time frame. This is a 1946 example.

It will still give an excellent efficient yet mild shave, the gap will still be amongst the widest of the Techs. I have a Canadian military Tech thats from maybe late 40's and its an oval like the above. Shaves fantastic.

But there is a certain cachet about a Pre war. Like with many things, the closer you can get to the source, the better it will be.
Ah I see, great to hear! I haven’t used my tech long but I am already so impressed with the shave it delivers, especially considering it’s age. I’ve tried all kinds of modern DEs and haven’t had anything like it. What would you say a fair price is for one of these techs in good condition?

Tech come in all sort of cool configurations, and metals. They were on the cutting edge. Tech translates to pretty good razor before the dawn of New Age Pricy offerings.
There’s so many different kinds I get confused when looking at them haha. I’ve been using DEs for ages but new to the vintage razors and can’t believe what I’ve been missing out on

Ah I see, great to hear! I haven’t used my tech long but I am already so impressed with the shave it delivers, especially considering it’s age. I’ve tried all kinds of modern DEs and haven’t had anything like it. What would you say a fair price is for one of these techs in good condition?
Oh I forgot to say, welcome to B&B! Looks like you joined very recently. Hope you stick around.

B&B rules are quite strict above pricing items, and I live in the UK, so US Pre wars are rare here, but Flat Bottom Techs are not!

A nice cased FBT should run anywhere between £30-70 ($37-86) here. I would assume a nice hopefully cased US Pre war would be in the same ball park where you are.

Welcome to the wonderful world of vintage razors @MrHyde !

Last edited:
Oh I forgot to say, welcome to B&B! Looks like you joined very recently. Hope you stick around.

B&B rules are quite strict above pricing items, and I live in the UK, so US Pre wars are rare here, but Flat Bottom Techs are not!

A nice cased FBT should run anywhere between £30-70 ($37-86) here. I would assume a nice hopefully cased US Pre war would be in the same ball park where you are.

Welcome to the wonderful world of vintage razors @MrHyde !
Thank you for the warm welcome and all your help! Hopefully I’ll be able to find a nice one soon 🤞.

All the best!

Thank you!

There is a slight difference. What's interesting is that people don't agree on which is "better".

My favorite Techs are a Canadian Pre-war Tech and a No Date Code U.S. Post-War Tech (approx 1946-1951). IMHO, the post-war is slightly smoother and the pre-war is slightly more efficient.

If you look at the base plate on the post-war, you will see that it supports the blade a bit closer to the edge than the pre-war model.

Both razors were in nice shape and quite inexpensive. I think they were both under $10-15 with shipping included. Best razor bargain around. You could easily get one of each (that's our standard answer around here).

There is a slight difference. What's interesting is that people don't agree on which is "better".

My favorite Techs are a Canadian Pre-war Tech and a No Date Code U.S. Post-War Tech (approx 1946-1951). IMHO, the post-war is slightly smoother and the pre-war is slightly more efficient.

If you look at the base plate on the post-war, you will see that it supports the blade a bit closer to the edge than the pre-war model.

Both razors were in nice shape and quite inexpensive. I think they were both under $10-15 with shipping included. Best razor bargain around. You could easily get one of each (that's our standard answer around here).
Good to know, thanks for your input! I have a feeling I’m gonna go down the rabbit hole of these techs 😂. Good thing they’re a good bit cheaper than the modern razors on the market

lasta

Blade Biter
Good to know, thanks for your input! I have a feeling I’m gonna go down the rabbit hole of these techs 😂. Good thing they’re a good bit cheaper than the modern razors on the market
Techs are only cheap on a per unit basis, soon you'll want them all.

I find the differences between Techs more fascinating than the differences between razors of other brands.

As Simon said, Techs are perfect, the closer you get to the source, the better. I judge my new razor acquisitions by how alike they are to a Tech.

I have pre and post war Techs. In my experience the oval slot post wars shave better but YMMV. I also prefer the ball handle to the fat handle. The grippiness of the handle is better and I like the versatility of the narrow, spinnable handle.
I see, thanks for chiming in. Would you say that the pre war is more aggressive/efficient than the post war tech ?

proxy.php

It is impossible to "upgrade" from a Pre war. You can't upgrade perfection. They are fantastic shavers.

Blade gaps and efficiency are all over the place with the Tech, in it's production from 1939 to the present (The Stirling) different countries of manufacture, different decades, all produced Techs with often startling performance differences.

proxy.php

Nice razor to have!

I would say just get the nicest Pre war you can afford! Best upgrade you could realistically get.
I have several examples of Gillette techs, PreWar, Postwar Ball End, American and British, even a Rotbart Bakelite that is identical, as far as I can see, to the Gillette, white bakelite razor. If memory serves me, the Rotbart had a nice blade gap that made it a little more aggressive than the PreWar, in my experience only. It wasn't as smooth a shaver as all the rest. I do like the various British Ball end razors, 56 and a 58 model, with the oval slots. Maybe not BBS but close.

I see, thanks for chiming in. Would you say that the pre war is more aggressive/efficient than the post war tech ?
Sorry Brother @Quaznoid

You need to define post war Tech firstly. Basically all Techs from 1939 to about 1950 will be the most efficient Techs made. BTW 'aggression' and 'efficiency' are two different things. Aggression is in my opinion not a virtue in a razor. An aggressive Tech was never made thankfully.

Techs became less efficient in the mid-late 50's and had very narrow gaps by the early 60's. English Techs of the period tended to be somewhat more efficient, as were some German models. I have a late 50's English Alu Tech with the spiral handle which is very efficient.

This older posting may give you some idea. Courtesy of the inimitable Brother @Rosseforp

"As @Alum Ladd says below, the English Flat Bottom Tech is completely different from all other techs. Get one.
Go for an English Flat Bottom. A different animal. Mild but extremely efficient.

Recently got a 1948 example and am totally blown away by it's performance, completely different to other Techs I've tried.

I have heard that Techs were made in .020, .025 and 0.30" blade gaps. Seems to depend on period. The 38-50(?) were 0.30", the 50's models went to .025" and there is complete confusion from then, with individual countries production diverging, the mildest gap seeming to dominate. Interesting info if true.
Here is a list of my Tech's with gaps, weights, and what I paid for them.

47 English Flat Bottom Tech
Cap-12.2g Baseplate-13.2g C&P-25.6 Handle-24.9g Total-50.5g
Gap= .028" $ Gift from Cal $

67 English Tech
Cap-10.2g Baseplate-10.2g C&P-20.4 Handle-11.5g Total-32g
Gap= .026" $ PIF from Mawashi $

67 Tech M4 Mar 3, 2019
Cap-10.2g Baseplate-10.4g C&P-20.6 Handle-12.2g Total-33g
Gap= .025" $5.00

PreWar Tech Apr 13, 2019
Cap-14.5g Baseplate-10.0g C&P-24.5 Handle-23g Total-47.5g
Gap= .019" $10.49

53 Tech Y2 Mar 5, 2019
Cap-11.4g Steel Baseplate-8.4g C&P-19.8 Handle-36.3g Total-56.2g
Gap= .021" $19.50

No Date (46-50) Tech
Cap-11.2g Baseplate-10.8g C&P-22.0 Handle-34.6g Total-56.5g
Gap= .024" $ PIF from Mawashi $

English Tech (Early)
Cap-14.5g Baseplate-10.8g C&P-25.3 Handle-37.0g Total-62.3g
Gap= .028" $ PIF from Mawashi $

~doug~

I think you saw the Tobins Throwbacks Video on YT. I tend to agree with his theory as well. The earlier Techs had a higher blade gap, then they seemed to settle to a .018"-.020" gap for the late 50's on, certainly for the US versions. I have an English Late 50's-very early 60's Aluminium handled Tech which is particularly efficient, and my EFB Techs are very efficient. I suspect the blade gaps of the English Techs are on the higher end.

Tech blade gaps appear to be all over the place depending on year of manufacture and country of origin it seems."

The Tech is a fascinating family of razors. You will enjoy the Super Speeds and other vintages you will be encountering just as much I suspect.

I don't know what DE shaving experience you have @MrHyde but I can say that technique trumps all other factors in wet shaving. Even the mildest Tech will give excellent results if you are on form with technique, and choose a suitable blade to pair with it. Unsure what blade you use, but a Nacet or GSB or a similar sharper but smooth blade pairs nicely with the Techs.

Last edited:
I have pre and post war Techs. In my experience the oval slot post wars shave better but YMMV. I also prefer the ball handle to the fat handle. The grippiness of the handle is better and I like the versatility of the narrow, spinnable handle.
Now I am forced to give each Tech a run for the money to finally decide this type of question for myself. I shall return after a week or so, of running with the Techs! May the best Tech win.

Sorry Brother @Quaznoid

You need to define post war Tech firstly. Basically all Techs from 1939 to about 1950 will be the most efficient Techs made. BTW 'aggression' and 'efficiency' are two different things. Aggression is in my opinion not a virtue in a razor. An aggressive Tech was never made thankfully.

Techs became less efficient in the mid-late 50's and had very narrow gaps by the early 60's. English Techs of the period tended to be somewhat more efficient, as were some German models. I have a late 50's English Alu Tech with the spiral handle which is very efficient.

This older posting may give you some idea. Courtesy of the inimitable Brother @Rosseforp

"As @Alum Ladd says below, the English Flat Bottom Tech is completely different from all other techs. Get one.

Here is a list of my Tech's with gaps, weights, and what I paid for them.

47 English Flat Bottom Tech
Cap-12.2g Baseplate-13.2g C&P-25.6 Handle-24.9g Total-50.5g
Gap= .028" $ Gift from Cal $

67 English Tech
Cap-10.2g Baseplate-10.2g C&P-20.4 Handle-11.5g Total-32g
Gap= .026" $ PIF from Mawashi $

67 Tech M4 Mar 3, 2019
Cap-10.2g Baseplate-10.4g C&P-20.6 Handle-12.2g Total-33g
Gap= .025" $5.00

PreWar Tech Apr 13, 2019
Cap-14.5g Baseplate-10.0g C&P-24.5 Handle-23g Total-47.5g
Gap= .019" $10.49

53 Tech Y2 Mar 5, 2019
Cap-11.4g Steel Baseplate-8.4g C&P-19.8 Handle-36.3g Total-56.2g
Gap= .021" $19.50

No Date (46-50) Tech
Cap-11.2g Baseplate-10.8g C&P-22.0 Handle-34.6g Total-56.5g
Gap= .024" $ PIF from Mawashi $

English Tech (Early)
Cap-14.5g Baseplate-10.8g C&P-25.3 Handle-37.0g Total-62.3g
Gap= .028" $ PIF from Mawashi $

~doug~

I think you saw the Tobins Throwbacks Video on YT. I tend to agree with his theory as well. The earlier Techs had a higher blade gap, then they seemed to settle to a .018"-.020" gap for the late 50's on, certainly for the US versions. I have an English Late 50's-very early 60's Aluminium handled Tech which is particularly efficient, and my EFB Techs are very efficient. I suspect the blade gaps of the English Techs are on the higher end.

Tech blade gaps appear to be all over the place depending on year of manufacture and country of origin it seems."

The Tech is a fascinating family of razors. You will enjoy the Super Speeds and other vintages you will be encountering just as much I suspect.

I don't know what DE shaving experience you have @MrHyde but I can say that technique trumps all other factors in wet shaving. Even the mildest Tech will give excellent results if you are on form with technique, and choose a suitable blade to pair with it. Unsure what blade you use, but a Nacet or GSB or a similar sharper but smooth blade pairs nicely with the Techs.
Definitely agree that technique trumps the tool. I’ve been DE shaving for a bit over 5 yrs now but I feel like my technique always keeps evolving and improving, it’s part of why I like DE shaving. Im happy to hear that I pretty much can’t go wrong with the techs though!

Now I am forced to give each Tech a run for the money to finally decide this type of question for myself. I shall return after a week or so, of running with the Techs! May the best Tech win.
Early return, just shaved with the plastic Rotbart razor, that seems identical to Mr. Razor Tech razors as a 1940's white plastic tech. My impression of the shave is that if a Rex Ambassador was made out of plastic, a setting 3 or 4 would be close to the shave quality. Gillette bought Rotbart and it seems they changed the name on the plastic handle from Rotbart to Gillette. It is a two piece razor and the twist knob drops down just like my Rex. BBS shave was easy to come by with this razor although because of the light weight, a little pressure was needed in some areas, even using a Kai blade. An ideal travel razor (sans blades).

Top Bottom