What's new

Difference between GEM style blades and Feather/Kai blades

Hello Everyone!

I've been loving the GEM 1912 razor, and I think it's the best little razor I've used so far. For some reason, the stiffness of the GEM blades are much better for my skin than the thin DE blades and I get fewer weepers as well. I was wondering, for those who have tried the GEM blades and the wide feather artist/kai blades, which ones do you get a better shave from? I was looking into buying a razor like the Colonial General or an Asylum, but was wondering if those thin feather artist blades would shave the same as a DE blade, since they look pretty thin. I also noticed they cost much more than a GEM style blade, and might not be worth it. I'll be glad to get some of your opinions!

Also, I may just stick with the GEM style blades and buy myself a Blackland Sabre razor, which looks fantastic.

They shave nothing like DE. Very much worth it imo. General/Proline combo would be a good start.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They're very similar in thickness. The artist club blades are NOT thin, that is for sure. No flex to them in the slightest.

I really like my injector razors, but the AC razors are fairly nice shavers. The blade length (think the cutting edge) is longer than any other razor blade, so more whiskers are cut per stroke. For me this was not a useful feature, but most people seem to appreciate that part of them. I got decent shaves from my GEM Junior when I used it (similar head to your 1912), slightly better from my RazoRock Black Hawk V2 and Colonial General, but my best shaves are from my injector razors. Obviously, YMMV but for me the injectors are great razors that can be picked up inexpensively (like the GEMs) and have some of the best blades out there right now. They're the same thickness as the AC blades, so not think and they also don't flex. The AC blades might be better on the whole, but the Chinese made Schick blades and Japanese TWIN II blades are equally as good, even better for some people. It all depends on skin and beard type, etc. I get about ten shaves out of my AC blades give or take. They then don't seem to cut as well and I have to start adding pressure to get them through my beard which gives me a bunch of weepers. I have no idea how many shaves I'll get out of my injector blades. The only one I've binned so far was the lesser quality blade made today, the Personna, after 7 shaves and it had more life in it but was getting a little rust on it (my fault). I'm expecting easily 30-40 shaves from the TWINs and probably 15-30 from the Chinese Schicks. The injector blades are a little pricier up front than the GEMs but the longevity I think will make up for that price difference. The injector blades are not that much more than the AC blades, really.

The RR Hawk is a good little razor for pretty cheap in case you want to try out the AC format for less. The others you listed are supposed to be quite good as well, obviously a bit pricier. I don't think you can go wrong with any of the ones you listed (maybe the asylum as that sucker is supposed to be super aggressive, nearly claymore aggressive) so pick which one speaks to you and see what you think.

The Artist Club type blades are thicker than GEM blades and more important they are sharper than GEM blades.
Pick up a General or a RazoRock Hawk and you won't be sorry.

I use both AC and GEM and give the edge to the AC, though this morning and many mornings I am perfectly content with the excellent shaves I get with the GEM SS PTFE in a Gem Micromatic Open Comb or GEM 1912, etc. For March I’ll be using the Black Hawk V2 exclusively. If you do get the Black Hawk, the wider Feather Super Professional blade will yield the most efficient shave, the narrower Schick Proline will yield a milder shave. Those two are the only AC blades I have tried to date.

The Artis Club ... and more important they are sharper than GEM blades. .

Yes, much sharper although both Feather and Kai have mild versions. Personally the gem blades are not sharp enough. If you tended toward sharp DE blades you really should try the AC line.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I didn't know what an irritation free shave was until AC blades. What I thought was irritation free (Feather AS-D2, Feather blade on 1st or 2nd shave, 3 passes) was actually minor irritation. The Black Hawk with Proline gives me as close a shave but in only 2 passes with slightly more comfort. Only slightly because the Feather was so comfortable as well.

For me the Black Hawk really came alive on the heavier Feather AS-D2 handle. A similar effect could possibly have been achieved with a sharper blade and the original lighter handle but I haven't tried yet. Will be buying a General as well and have heard great things from almost everyone who's bought a Sabre. You can get a Hawk for under 40, a General for under 100, and a Sabre for 185+. That's pretty much the deciding factor for me.

I use both and if you get even a few weepers with the 1912 I would not start AC with an Rx. I think the Rx is the most aggressive of all SE razors. I would start with a General as it is a very smooth SE and if you really like SE then move up to an RX. It would be easy to sell the General on BST

I use both and if you get even a few weepers with the 1912 I would not start AC with an Rx. I think the Rx is the most aggressive of all SE razors. I would start with a General as it is a very smooth SE and if you really like SE then move up to an RX. It would be easy to sell the General on BST

Sometimes I get a few weepers in my mustache area with a brand new GEM blade, since they're very sharp on the first shave. After that, I usually don't get any weepers. It's been my goal to find a razor that doesn't give me any weepers in that sensitive area, but still shave closely. The GEM is the best I've had so far. So you think I should check out the General? The only thing is that the AC blades are much more expensive than the GEMs or DE blades.

"The only thing is that the AC blades are much more expensive than the GEMs or DE blades."

Not really if you factor in how long they last. I've been getting at least 15 two pass shaves on a blade. I generally shave weekdays with the AC format. Use the GEM's on the weekends and seldom use DE's at all.

I own two AC razors which I rotate between; a Brass General and a SS v.1 Hawk. They both do a great job getting me ready for work in the morning.

I usually get about 12 - 15 shaves with a Pro line AC. I love my Rx but it is a very aggressive razor IMHO the general to me is on the milder side of SE but gives a great shave

"The only thing is that the AC blades are much more expensive than the GEMs or DE blades."

Not really if you factor in how long they last. I've been getting at least 15 two pass shaves on a blade. I generally shave weekdays with the AC format. Use the GEM's on the weekends and seldom use DE's at all.

I own two AC razors which I rotate between; a Brass General and a SS v.1 Hawk. They both do a great job getting me ready for work in the morning.
Wow! 15 passes definitely makes the extra cost worth it. Can you compare the AC blades to the GEM blades? My GEM 1912 almost feels like a straight razor and has tons of feedback. I actually tried the Supply provision razor, but don't seem to like it as much. The GEM is just much more efficient.

I usually get about 12 - 15 shaves with a Pro line AC. I love my Rx but it is a very aggressive razor IMHO the general to me is on the milder side of SE but gives a great shave
Yes, I've been told the Rx is very aggressive. Would you say it's similar to the Muhle R41?

The GEM and AC format is a completely different shaving experience, the only thing they really have in common is they are both SE's and both require a straight edge style of of technique. I can't comment too much on the "injector" razors since I don't really like them, so someone else would be better for that.

You know you can get an Aluminum version of the Hawk for around $25, why don't you get one and give it a try. You can always resell it if it's not for you.

Last edited:
The GEM and AC format is a completely different shaving experience, the only thing they really have in common is they are both SE's and both require a straight edge style of of technique. I can't comment too much on the "injector" razors since I don't really like them, so someone else would be better for that.

You know you can get an Aluminum version of the Hawk for around $25, why don't you get one and give it a try. You can always resell it if it's not for you.
That's a good idea, maybe I'll get the Hawk and some AC pro blades to see for myself. Thanks for the suggestion! :001_005:

The Aluminum Hawk was my first go at the AC format and I knew after the initial shave that this is the the future of wet shaving.

I'm such an anomaly when it comes to shaves per blade. For DE I get 3 shaves maximum, less with some blades like Feather. With Prolines I'm only getting like 5-6 shaves which is the lowest I've ever heard of. For me, when DE blades lose sharpness they get rough and scratchy. AC blades just stop cutting as well but remain incredibly smooth which is another thing I love about them.

I'm such an anomaly when it comes to shaves per blade. For DE I get 3 shaves maximum, less with some blades like Feather. With Prolines I'm only getting like 5-6 shaves which is the lowest I've ever heard of. For me, when DE blades lose sharpness they get rough and scratchy. AC blades just stop cutting as well but remain incredibly smooth which is another thing I love about them.
Interesting, Prolines are supposed to be pretty aggressive AC blades from what I heard.

Top Bottom