What's new

Didn't want to like Arko...

I was given a stick of Arko today and did a little test face lathering, rubbed the stick over my stubble and there didn't seem to be much there, but as soon I took the brush to my face it virtually exploded with lather! Pretty amazing.

The scent is indeed "interesting", in a Eau De Meth-Lab kinda way :laugh:

It is strange that traditional wet shaving is long forgotten in Turkey, home country of Arko.
Cartridges are so popular that most people use blades to sctratch off bird poo from their windows. Not for shaving. Silly, isn't it? :)

I didn't have much trouble finding wet-shaving supplies when I was in Turkey this April. Many stores carried arko soap, derby and arko creams, derby blades, and cheap horsehair brushes. I also saw street vendors selling the same stuff, plus cheap knockoffs of the Merkur 1904 razor, plus rapira and supermax blades. My only shave-related difficulty was running out of witch hazel.

So, the Arko has been sitting 1/2 uncovered on a shelf in my shave den. Every time I walk in, I can actually smell it. Very interesting. It's a smell that kind of grows on you...isn't it?

Look! I am still waiting for my first shave with Arko. I hope to see it within the next week. If you don't stop talking about it I am going to buy a case before my first order shows up. Your not helping!!

Since Rudy includes a stick of Arko with his brushes and he has shipped my 2011 B&B LE Custom Brush, I'll be trying out Arko for the first time later next week! :thumbup:

I have been using Arko for 3 months almost exclusively, I have literally tried them all and landed on Arko. Now I am going to order Duru Classic to complete the full Turkish experience.

Last edited:
Just read through this thread and have nothing to add. Those who have not tried Arko or have not given it an appropriate airing out (after unwrapping the top) if they do not like the scent are really missing out. I buy mine by the dozen through Amazon.

Count me as another Arko fanboy. When I first used this stick, although it rubbed onto my stubble easily and provided loads of lather after working it into my beard using a boar brush, after the shave I noticed a slight burning sensation, so I thought I'd try grating the stick into a bowl to see if that changed it up but to no avail, more of a slight burn after use. Then I read of a fellow here at B&B that allowed his stick to out gas as he had the same experince as I yet after out gassing, no more burn, so I followed suit. Some may think why bother with it, especially considering there are so many other soaps out there to use. Well, it grew on me. I like Arko sticks so having to let it out gas is no biggie...I just unwrap the stick and let it sit a day or two and no problems. It provides a lot of lather and any razor blade I use when shaving, this soap provides all of the cushion I need. Something else...I now leave a stick in the shower to soap up with, and it works well as a body soap. How many other shave soaps can you say this about? I bought mine at Amazon...somthing like 15 sticks for $17 delivered. I've pif'd some too. The recipients report the same as I, lovely soap, loads of lather. I've read where some shave snobs turn their nose up at this product. Not I, I find this soap to be a good performer

Best,

Jake
Reddick Fla.

I have always wanted to like Arko, but just can't get over the smell. I let a stick air out for a couple of months and it was still too strong once lathered. But to each his own, glad some people can enjoy it.

J.

I really like ARKO, the smell is pleasent, and the price is fantasic.

For those that feel this way should try starting a mail order business, or any business for that matter.:001_cool:

I don't think the person posting the fact that shipping is more than the product was taking a stab at online retailers and what they are charging for shipping... I think most are barely covering the actual cost of shipping and the few minutes of time it takes to package and label.

It's simply a fact that shipping a product, especially a small, light-weight inexpensive item costs a lot of money in relation to the actual cost of the merchandise.

I guess I'll have to try Arko after reading these positive reviews. I checked out Amazon, 12 sticks for $16.99! WOW!

I have been using Arko for 3 months almost exclusively, I have literally tried them all and landed on Arko. Now I am going to order Duru Classic to complete the full Turkish experience.

Try Hacı Şakir bath soaps, made by a Turkish competitor. They come in lavender, rose, lilac and natural scent (natural = citronella, just like the Arko stick). In my humble opinion, they are a little better than the Duru's... and with tallow. One could almost shave with them.

Last edited:
Try Hacı Şakir bath soaps, made by a Turkish competitor. They come in lavender, rose, lilac and natural scent (natural = citronella, just like the Arko stick). In my humble opinion, they are a little better than the Duru's... and with tallow. One could almost shave with them.

A typical case of YMMV. I have and use both but prefer the Duru over the Haci Sakir, both for the 'lather' and the skin care. Both are tallow-first soaps btw. and both are good so I think you can't go wrong with either one.

I have a theory that actually using the stick helps to lessen the scent of it. My sticks seem to yellow slightly and I think perhaps that oils from my face are mixing with the stick and deadening the smell. I have a piece of Arko that was left out and unused and it's scent has remained considerably stronger than the one in use. I'm thinking about mashing a stick down into a bowl actually, because I like the scent and would prefer it stays strong. Then again I also like the convenience of the stick form. Maybe I'll do both.

Just read through this thread and have nothing to add. Those who have not tried Arko or have not given it an appropriate airing out (after unwrapping the top) if they do not like the scent are really missing out. I buy mine by the dozen through Amazon.

+1 ..when my first stick is used up, i'll buy 12 more. thats how much i love it.... :p

I have a theory that actually using the stick helps to lessen the scent of it. My sticks seem to yellow slightly and I think perhaps that oils from my face are mixing with the stick and deadening the smell. I have a piece of Arko that was left out and unused and it's scent has remained considerably stronger than the one in use. I'm thinking about mashing a stick down into a bowl actually, because I like the scent and would prefer it stays strong. Then again I also like the convenience of the stick form. Maybe I'll do both.
There are several of us here who mash the Arko sticks in a bowl. From what I understand , thats what many of the Turkish Barbers do with the Arko sticks as well.

I didn't have much trouble finding wet-shaving supplies when I was in Turkey this April. Many stores carried arko soap, derby and arko creams, derby blades, and cheap horsehair brushes. I also saw street vendors selling the same stuff, plus cheap knockoffs of the Merkur 1904 razor, plus rapira and supermax blades. My only shave-related difficulty was running out of witch hazel.

Yes we're not short of shaving supplies but I bet 99% of the people I know are using cartridges. I think the reason why we still have wet shaving stuff is that i-) the export market is still alive so they do not stop production and can also supply the domestic market, ii-) barbers!

Top Bottom