What's new

Did Conditioner Ruin My Boar Brush?

Hair is hair. It’s not rocket science. If it’s okay for your hair, it’s okay for a boar or badger. I use shampoo and conditioner on my my hair it still soaks up water every time. I don’t know if vinegar is good or not, but I wouldn’t put it on my own hair.
Solid point. Will try hair relaxer and styling mousse next.

I think the boar is hoarding your soap. That’s an indication that you may not be soaking it long enough and/or squeezing out too much water before you start lathering. If the brush has room for more water it will fill that void with your soap instead.

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
I used to have lots of difficult with boars. The one day, I tried something different and it worked (see here). Nowadays, I load with a damp, not wet, brush but it took a while for me to figure things out with my now-beloved boars.

Last edited:

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Boar or Badger, I just use it. I never do any quick break-in procedures.
I have been breaking in a synthetic that made me smile that @Graydog honored me with. It still makes me "smile" everytime I use it!

But it just won't break in! Darn thing performs just like the day I was gifted it. I mean........ Y'all know, I'm not one to look a gift brush in the mouth but it's still soft!

The group assessment of my incompetence may be accurate but I have experience with shaving brushes and double edged razors going back to the mid-70s. I have been using a Vulfix VS1 boar brush since 2011 with great results. First shaves with the Semogue were great then things went downhill rapidly. Lathering must not be my superpower.

I don't know.

Stick with it? When a conditioner fails hair it's because its pH mismatches that hair and water. Yes? But it's a fixable problem because the typical promise of conditioners is they are within the range of pHs that doesn't irretrievably damage hair.

I don't know. Good luck. Thanks for being a good sport for a bit of teasing.

Many people use shampoo to remove the stink from a new shaving brush. I would like to suggest using Neutrogena's Anti-Residue shampoo to remove any silicone that may have been left on your brush. Neutrogena's Anti-Residue shampoo is available at most drugstores, (CVS, Rite-Aid, etc.), Target, and some supermarkets. I have used this shampoo regularly for many years on my hair. I'm not sure how it will perform on a shaving brush, but the product works really well to remove styling product residue. Just a thought... good luck.

Top Bottom