What's new

Dickinson's vs. Thayers

I use witch hazel after every shave, but it is the generic type. Where do you guys find this fancy w.h. your all talking about?

You can find it at higher-end grocery stores (Whole Foods) or online at places ranging from Amazon to the Vitamin Shoppe to (I think) West Coast Shaving. I'm sure a ton of other places carry it; but, those come to mind.

You can find it at higher-end grocery stores (Whole Foods) or online at places ranging from Amazon to the Vitamin Shoppe to (I think) West Coast Shaving. I'm sure a ton of other places carry it; but, those come to mind.

Thanks Mr. Igg. I found a bottle of Dickerson's at my local supermarket.

Dickenson's has a milder scent than the generic store version I had before. I've never tried Thayers. Dickenson's goes nice with Pinaud Lilac Veg.. a few shakes of each in my hand, enough for my face, neck and around the ears.. feels like I just came from the Barber.

What is exactly the difference between yellow and blue Dickinson's? Witch hazel seems to be the only thing listed as ingredient.

What is exactly the difference between yellow and blue Dickinson's? Witch hazel seems to be the only thing listed as ingredient.

Marketing. The yellow is marketed as a facial toner and cleanser while the blue is marketed as a first aid product and face and skin astringent. As far as I can tell there is no difference between them.

I like using witch hazel, and Thayers is nice because I can pair it with certain scents. Plus, as someone with dry skin, it helps moisturize. Right now I have the rose and the cucumber. I have used Dickinson's, and hated the smell.

Dickinson's smells like Witch Hazel. IF you don't like the smell you don't like witch hazel. Witch Hazel does not smell like cucumbers or lemons or Seabreeze any of the other scents that Thayer's uses!

Before reading this I thought that I liked my cat, but I realized I don't like the way she smells sometimes, so I guess it turns out I don't like her!

I am a bit confused.:confused: Are you saying that you don't like her because she smells (which is what was said about Dickinson's) and you would rather replace her with a stuffed cat that has been scented with lemons or lavender OR that you are willing to put up with the smell because you know that she is your READ cat and you accept everything about her and know that in spite of the smell (that you might learn to like over time) you still want her around because of all the good things she brings to your life?:wink:

My point is that smell is secondary to performance; the fact that I don't like the smell of Witch Hazel has nothing to do with whether or not it works for me. If I can find a witch hazel that performs AND smells nice, i don't see why I should be faulted for that. Since no cat exists that smells good, I will have to deal.:biggrin:

EDIT: having read a lot of the other thread, I suppose I should point out that, personally, I don't really care if one is or isn't the scientific textbook definition of witch hazel. Whatever the ingredient in Thayer's is that makes it work for me is not really my concern. I enjoy it more than traditional witch hazel products, and it's worth the money to me.

Last edited:
Since no cat exists that smells good, I will have to deal.:biggrin:

You, Sir, are obviously NOT a cat lover! Cats do not smell. In fact, next to most other pets (dogs included) they smell very good indeed!
(And as someone who has had many cats, dogs, snakes, mice, birds, fish, and marine invertebrates as pets during my life and currently have 3 dogs, a cat, and about 20 birds (haven't' counted all the hatchlings today) I believe I speak from experience.)

Now if you were talking about the cat's litter pan that would be a different issue.:lol::lol::lol:

The first Witch Hazel I tried was a drugstore brand. Not liking the smell I went for the unscented Thayer's. I thought it was great.

But as time went by I started to become unhappy with the sticky feeling it left on my face. I suspected that was due to the Aloe. So, I tried Dickinson's and was surprised that although it smelled the same as the store brand it was somehow a little less offensive. As time went on I grew accustomed to its vegetal scent and now find I am actually a little fond of it. Very primitive. No prizes to award, but not bad either.

Top Bottom