What's new

Dickinson witch hazel blue vs yellow label

As seen on their web site, there are 2 labels available, blue (first aid) and yellow (skin care):

http://www.dickinsonbrands.com/

However, looking at the list of ingredients on drugstore.com, I can't tell the difference.

Blue: Active Ingredients: Witch Hazel (100% All Natural) (Containing Alcohol 14%) (Astringent)

Yellow: Witch Hazel (All Natural), Alcohol (Contains 14%) (and), Witch Hazel Extract

I'm curious what the Witch Hazel Extract vs Witch Hazel (All Natural) deal is.

Is this a case of the same liquid being sold in different bottles for different markets and at different price points: $2.78 for blue, $4.99 for yellow at a local store (the women will pay more for the yellow label just because it's "made for skin care"), though on drugstore.com they cost about the same.

Has anyone tried both and can actually tell the difference between them?

I've tried both, and (while you are technically correct about the only difference being the addition of "Witch Hazel Extract" to the yellow label) I can't tell any difference between them.

One day a few months back, after noticing that there was SOME KIND of difference between the two kinds, I called T. N. Dickinson's on their 800 number and spoke to a very nice guy there who tried explaining the difference between them, but he really seemed to be splitting hairs to me: the blue label is classed in the USA as a drug (hence the drug box labeling), and may only contain witch hazel and exactly 14% alcohol (I bow here in the direction of ClubmanRob...). The yellow label is not a drug, and so they can add "other extracts of witch hazel" to it and still call it witch hazel on the bottle. Although I pressed the Dickinson's rep, I couldn't ever get exctly what those "other extracts" were. When I asked the rep if he used the product himself for after shaving, he said he did, and then said, "I use the blue label."

Long story short: to me at least, there is no functional difference between the two except for the bottle and the price. Use whichever works best for you (and consider the generic W.H., which goes for less than $1.50 a pint at Walmart or Family Dollar, since these are classed as drugs as well and hence must by US law contain the exact same stuff as Dickinson's blue label!)

Last edited:
I have tried both as well, and it is hard to tell the difference.

Apparently, the yellow label is for the face.

The blue label is better suited for first aid type stuff. I think I read this on their web site.

I have no idea and I just buy whatever is cheaper.

Dickinson's is the yellow label.

T.N. Dickinson's is the blue label.

From their website:

QUESTION: What are the differences between Dickinson’s yellow label and T.N. Dickinson’s blue label witch hazel products?

ANSWER: Dickinson’s yellow label products are specially formulated for facial care and have been recognized by millions of consumers as the most gentle way to care for their skin - for over a century. Our products are made using Dickinson’s own all-natural witch hazel formula, to gently cleanse and tone sensitive skin without overdrying.

T.N. Dickinson’s blue label products are primarily formulated for first-aid use. These versatile products are based on T.N.’s all-natural witch hazel astringent and are proven effective for a variety of applications including the treatment of minor bruises, cuts, scrapes, non-poisonous insect bites and general facial and body cleansing.

:001_huh:

Oh, and don't forget Humphrey's, which although a different company, has the exact same address as Dickinson's.

I love Humphrey's Toners. They are amazing.

I got the blue one. Wow it stinks like the all natural alcohol I remember my grandparents used to make from plums and other fruits. I hope I don't get pulled over right after I use it, it would be hard to explain why I smell like a drunkard :smile:

I used to think the Thayers didn't smell that good, but now I think Thayers is pure perfume compared to this one.

Does the yellow one smell the same? What about Humphrey's - same smell?

I got the blue one. Wow it stinks... Does the yellow one smell the same?

Yep, there is no noticeable difference in smell between the blue label and the yellow. Both smell the exact same to my nose.

As far as the smell goes, the good thing is that no WH that I have ever tried had a lingering smell at all - by the time it's done evaporating there is no smell at all, so you'll be good to go when you get pulled over by that cop.:lol:

I called Dickinsons a couple weeks ago and asked about yellow vs. blue for after shaving. They said "definitely blue".

I actually think the yellow was developed as a light version for the girls. Don't remember if they even use the word "astringent" on that label.

Last edited:
Top Bottom