What's new

Determining date based on display board

I acquired this display board full of cello-wrapped thin blades. According to Achim's razor blade gallery Gillette made these at various times over the years. I really don't want to open any of the boxes to get a date code off of a blade as that would seriously devalue the whole thing. Is there any other way to pin this display down to a year?

On the back of every blade box is printed "copyright 1939" but I don't think that would be reliable in the same way that Jan 13, 1920 is printed on all New Standard handles regardless of when it was made.

proxy.php

proxy.php

Ahh, thanks Phil! I guess I should have looked closer at Achim's gallery. The red/black Thins seem to have been made sporadically from the 1940's up to the 1980's!

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Ahh, thanks Phil! I guess I should have looked closer at Achim's gallery. The red/black Thins seem to have been made sporadically from the 1940's up to the 1980's!

Yes, but it looks like that writing on the back of the box was localized to the early 40's.
The later years had much much different labeling.

Heh, I guess it should be kind of obvious that 10 cents for a box of 4 blades would probably indicate 1940's. I really dig looking at it.

One of my local antique shops had it on display a few weeks ago for $19 and I passed. When I saw it again today I just couldn't say no this time.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
It's a great display! Congrats.

Kind of funny when you compare what a house cost back then compared to what it does now, and then look at these blades at 2.5 cents each compared to not really that much more now, it's amazing.

It's a great display! Congrats.

Kind of funny when you compare what a house cost back then compared to what it does now, and then look at these blades at 2.5 cents each compared to not really that much more now, it's amazing.

Thanks, Phil! Yeah, I am sure even just 10 cents wasn't chump change back then. Gillette sure made money on their blades alone, just as today.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Thanks, Phil! Yeah, I am sure even just 10 cents wasn't chump change back then. Gillette sure made money on their blades alone, just as today.

Yep, according to the Inflation Calculator, 10 cents in 1945 is $1.21 in todays money.
Can you imagine guys here carping about what a rip-off 4 blades for $1.21 is? :lol:

Yep, according to the Inflation Calculator, 10 cents in 1945 is $1.21 in todays money.
Can you imagine guys here carping about what a rip-off 4 blades for $1.21 is? :lol:

No doubt. But not only that, I think people were much more careful with exactly how their money was spent back then. They didn't waste anything. Probably the fall-out from years growing up in the depression. My grandpa lived quite comfortably but had the most amazing collection of useless things. He always found a way to make junk useful!

Top Bottom