What's new

Derby Premium

Strange I've been wondering about these also while I was browsing the online shops I came across them and they didn't have any reviews on them

They 're pretty new in many markets i guess. When i started wet shaving 4 months ago, they weren't locally available anywhere. Now they are. Plus, people are scared to buy Derby after their encounters with the "Extra", so reviews are scarse.

They 're pretty new in many markets i guess. When i started wet shaving 4 months ago, they weren't locally available anywhere. Now they are. Plus, people are scared to buy Derby after their encounters with the "Extra", so reviews are scarse.

That could be my only problem with derby extras is that I don't get many shaves out of them

Shave #3 with Derby Premium:
- 0/0/0 (nicks/weepers/irritation) this time. The blade has mellowed a bit, but the edge i feel still holds well.
- Mostly DFS below the jawline with patches of BBS. Considering that this is cold water shave (i 've seen all blades have a tougher time to cut compared to hot water), not bad at all.
- Best shave with the Derby Premium yet. Felt very comfortable.

Billski

Here I am, 1st again.
new Derby blade?

I'll bet they aren't as good as the Dorco Prime blade.

The new Dorcos are outstanding!

new Derby blade?

I'll bet they aren't as good as the Dorco Prime blade.

The new Dorcos are outstanding!

For my face, i can already tell you that the Dorco Prime Platinum STP301 is smoother and most like sharper. I am not 100% certain about the sharpness, cause it's been a while since i used the Dorco, but i sure had less nicks/weepers. But the new Derby is for sure much sharper than the old Derby Extra, but for my face, it needed to arrive to shave #3 to become smooth.

Tried one this evening in my Tech, hopeful but dubious after my pretty horrible encounter with the Extra a few weeks ago.

I don't know what it is with Derbys but i get a hot itchy feeling developing pretty badly by the time i'm halfway through the second pass. When i tried the Extra i finished the shave and had terrible irritation, the worst i've had. This time i stopped using the blade as as i noticed this feeling coming up.

Would love to know what it is about them that causes this.

Last edited:
Other people report the same thing, red, itchy, puffy face after using a Derby. Probably something in the coatings (there are several) that irritates your skin. There are also reports of the same thing from any platinum coated blade.

Good thing there are lots of blades to chose from, eh?

Recently Bought 100. In a NEW Deluxe, they were just ok. A little draggy. Put one in a post war Canadian Tech and it was a really nice shave. Odd, but there you go.

Other people report the same thing, red, itchy, puffy face after using a Derby. Probably something in the coatings (there are several) that irritates your skin. There are also reports of the same thing from any platinum coated blade.

Good thing there are lots of blades to chose from, eh?

Very :) Its quite a long journey with loads of variables to combine and test.

One of my favorite blades is the supermax super platinum tiger so not sure its platinum coatings exclusively that are the issue for me....

Its more like a Derby allergy :p

I guess I'm one of those oddballs that really likes Derby blades, I am a fan of the Derby Extra's, I know that they are not the sharpest but they are smooth and they really work for me. I picked up 100 of the Premiums a few week's ago and I am amazed at how nice they are. Smooth and drag free, no weapers no irritation, just a DFS.

I guess I'm one of those oddballs that really likes Derby blades, I am a fan of the Derby Extra's, I know that they are not the sharpest but they are smooth and they really work for me. I picked up 100 of the Premiums a few week's ago and I am amazed at how nice they are. Smooth and drag free, no weapers no irritation, just a DFS.
This is my experience as well. Great blade. Not sure what all the fuss is about.

I just had a wonderful, smooth shave with a Derby Extra in my new Muhle R95. The first shave with a Muhle blade was so rough I changed to a Treet Durasharp mid-way. Then I used a Feather and it was better, a Polsilver was no improvement. I read somebody's remark in a forum using Derby Extra, and I have to admit he was right, best of the other blades I used, zero irritation and close to BBS shave without too much effort.

I wonder if the Derby Premium (black) is the same as the new Parker DE Razor blades? They are both made in Turkey using Swedish steel and same coatings (Platinum, Tungsten, Chromium). Even the packaging is similar. Hmh....

Billski

Here I am, 1st again.
I wonder if the Derby Premium (black) is the same as the new Parker DE Razor blades? They are both made in Turkey using Swedish steel and same coatings (Platinum, Tungsten, Chromium). Even the packaging is similar. Hmh....

I can hear Sicemdawgz thinking.

Top Bottom