What's new

Derby Extra - HELP NEEDED from Experienced Users

This is a thread for polling experienced users about sharpness, smoothness, and shave number of the Derby Extra double-edge (DE) razor blade. Experienced user ratings are needed for the B&B ShaveWiki DE Razor Blade Table, which will be the most comprehensive and useful database on DE razor blades available to the wet-shaving community. Usernames and ratings will be collected in a table with a link to this thread. Overall user ratings will then be calculated and added to the B&B ShaveWiki DE Razor Blade Table. If you are an experienced user with DE razor blades and safety razors and have used this thread's blade enough to form a fair opinion, then please consider replying and providing an evaluation. In particular, we need the following:

DE Razor Blade: Derby Extra
Minimum Sharpness (0–10):
Maximum Sharpness (0–10):
Minimum Smoothness (0–10):
Maximum Smoothness (0–10):
Minimum Shave Number (≥0):
Maximum Shave Number (≥0):

Please copy and paste the text above and add your ratings in your reply, keeping the following in mind:

• Minimum and maximum ratings capture how sharpness, smoothness, and shave number vary across many samples of the same blade, ignoring the rare or occasional dud or bad sample. If you feel that a property does not vary across samples, then enter the same rating for the minimum and maximum values.

• Ratings do not have to be in whole numbers. Decimal numbers are allowed for all ratings.

• It is perfectly fine to provide ratings for some parameters while leaving others blank for which you are not comfortable assessing. Remember, only experienced opinions are desired.

• Sharpness is a measure of how efficiently the blade cuts hair compared to other blades. More sharpness correlates with (a) less drag, resistance, and tugging due to easier cutting of hair, (b) closer shaves, and (c) less needed strokes and/or passes. Sharpness is rated on a scale from 0 to 10 such that a rating of 0 is for the dullest blades and a rating of 10 is for sharpest blades, in your opinion, of course.

• Smoothness is a measure of how well the blade provides comfortable and bloodless shaves compared to other blades. More smoothness means less irritation and redness and less nicks, weepers, and cuts. As with sharpness, smoothness is measured on a scale from 0 to 10, so a smoothness rating of 0 is reserved for blades that you feel are the least smooth and a smoothness rating of 10 is for the smoothest blades in your opinion.

• Shave number is the number of shaves that you get with a blade up to when you feel that the blade has significantly dropped in performance. This event can occur during a shave, yielding a shave number that is a decimal number, or at the end of a shave, giving a whole shave number. As with sharpness and smoothness, there is a lot of subjectivity with shave number, which is expected and okay. Guys who don't use the blade long enough to evaluate shave number should leave shave number ratings blank. On the other end of the spectrum, guys who keep using the blade well beyond the noticed drop in blade performance could provide shave number ratings that don't correspond with actual blade usage. Shave number can be rated as 0 if you find a typical sample of the blade so intolerable at the start of its first use that you don't shave any further with it.

Thank you for your consideration, and special thanks to those experienced users who participate. This is part of a long-term project, so keep an eye out for the next poll!

P.S. Replies posted after one week following this thread's posting time may be neglected.

Last edited by a moderator:
Minimum Sharpness (0–10): 7
Maximum Sharpness (0–10): 8
Minimum Smoothness (0–10): 5
Maximum Smoothness (0–10): 7
Minimum Shave Number (≥0): 3
Maximum Shave Number (≥0): 3

Minimum Smoothness (0–10): 8
Maximum Smoothness (0–10): 9
Minimum Shave Number (≥0): 4
Maximum Shave Number (≥0:5

Minimum Shave Number (≥0): 4
Maximum Shave Number (≥0):6

Minimum Shave Number (≥0): 2

[MENTION=108689]adamchur[/MENTION] [MENTION=113784]Bison93[/MENTION] [MENTION=76230]Pepin[/MENTION] [MENTION=110259]xxlpack[/MENTION]

Many thanks for your input, guys. This is a good start. I can only hope that other experienced users reply with their ratings, too. :001_smile

Minimum Sharpness (0–10): 4
Maximum Sharpness (0–10): 6
Minimum Shave Number (≥0): 6
Maximum Shave Number (≥0): -

Minimum Sharpness (0–10): 8
Minimum Smoothness (0–10): 7
Maximum Smoothness (0–10): 8

E Razor Blade: Derby Extra
Minimum Sharpness (0–10): 5
Maximum Sharpness (0–10): 7
Minimum Smoothness (0–10): 7
Maximum Shave Number (≥0: 5

Minimum sharpness: 6
Maximum sharpness:8
Minimum smoothness: 7
Maximum smoothness: 9
Minimum shave number: 3
Maximum shave number: 4 (I never use a blade beyond 4 times. Maybe it would last longer if I did.)

People raved about the Derby blades 3/4 years ago, but now suddenly they are described as very bad. I don't by it. It is not sensational, but it is a really forgiving blade, especially suitable for the novice, but also for the guy with an average beard. Those with experience and a tough wiry beard should probably look elsewhere.

Thanks, [MENTION=111657]Jerry Williams[/MENTION]! (I hope that you won't mind my neglecting your maximum shave number rating since it isn't based on performance per the rules, which is why you made your note about it, I'm guessing.)

So far, we have 8 guys who have contributed ratings.

Please, if you are an experienced user of DE razors and blades, specifically the Derby Extra blade in this case, don't let this opportunity pass you by! Your opinion matters!

I've only used one, hard to make a definitive statement about it. Wait a few years until I have a chance to get back to them to try again.

Peter

Minimum Sharpness (0–10): 6
Maximum Sharpness (0–10): 7
Minimum Smoothness (0–10): 5
Maximum Smoothness (0–10): 8
Maximum Shave Number (≥0): 4

Hope this helps a little bit I do keep 5 packs of these as spare but not my main use blade as I use feathers or Gillette silver blue as my go to blades.
These are good for starting out on the DE journey as I found out till I found my blades that suit me and I do slot one in now and again

Regards Ian

Thanks, [MENTION=102802]Ice-Man[/MENTION] (Ian), for your help! :thumbup: Polls for Feather and GSB will come around later, so I hope that you catch those polls, too.

Last edited:
Minimum Sharpness (0–10): 5
Maximum Sharpness (0–10): 6
Minimum Smoothness (0–10): 4
Maximum Smoothness (0–10): 7
Maximum Shave Number (≥0): 4

Top Bottom