What's new

Depleting Your Stash

Deplete my stash?

April fools was over a month ago!

Heh heh heh, you guys really had me going there for a minute.

In all seriousness though, who wants to deplete? I look forward to chosing from a variety of products and trying new things. Its part of the fun!

I agree, I love my variety, however I am starting to realize I will be throwing away a lot of stuff that has gone bad if I don't start using it more, so I am going to hold off on some of the things I wanted to try. But then again, who can pass on that SCS group buy? not me! But I swear that is the last cream/soap purchase for a couple months... weeks... who am I kidding?

My current stash:

JM Fraser - 1/2 tub
Trumper Rose - 1/4 tub
Coates Tea Tree - 1/4 tub
Coates Lavender - 1/2 tube
Coates Sandalwood - 1/2 tube
TGQ - 5 trial pucks - various stages - will likely melt into a shave stick
Conk Amber - 1/2 puck
Conk Bayrum - 3/4 puck
Trumper Sandalwood - 4/5 puck
Trumper Rose - near new puck
Erasmic soap - 1/2
Erasmic Stick - 3/4
QED Violet - used 5 times
QED Sandalwood Stick - 1/2 stick
QED B&B Stick - 1/2 stick
QED Bayrum Stick - 3/4 stick
QED Bergamot Stick - 1/2 stick
HBS Flora Euphoria - 4/5 tub
Arko Stick - 2/3 stick
Tabac Stick - 4/5 stick, plus refill
Palmolive Stick - Unopened
Boots Stick - 3/4 stick
Culmak - 3/4 puck
Williams - 4/5 puck

That doesn't count the dozen or so creams/soaps I've recently sold off - I periodically do a purge of stuff I'm not thrilled with to keep things manageable.

I basically have several years worth of soaps - but that doesn't keep me from buying more!

I think its important to get rid of stuff you don't like periodically to prevent stuff you don't use from needlessly taking up room in the shave den - also, I use this as an opportunity to buy new stuff - since the total number of tubs/sticks remains constant, SWMBO doesn't realize that I've bought anything!

That doesn't count the

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
I have been trying to work through the TGQ sampler pack. Maybe each soap sample averages about 8 shaves. There are 5 soaps. That's 40 shaves. That's 40 days. That's almost a month and 1/2's time. It makes you realize how long it takes to work through product.

I am trying to use alot of stuff that I probably won't replace, including aftershaves, colognes, creams, soaps, etc. This way I can get the products into some sane* consistently usable collection instead of using a soap or cream and not seeing it again for 4 months.

(sanity being a subjective term.:wink:)

Geez louise, some of you guys have got some gear to use! Well, I probably won't be able to talk after a few months :D

Anyways, my list at the moment is pretty thin but here goes:

Faulding Shave [1/3 left],
Gillette Cool Wave aftershave splash [full],
cheap brush which does quite well...my second ever.

I've probably used at the very least 4 or 5 of the Faulding Shave tubes in a row however, without using anything else in between. My Gillette splash is the second in a row - before that I was a big fan of Witch Hazel. Am I the only one here with 'oneitis'? I guess I just like to keep it simple, also being a classic 'poor uni student' may have something to do with it I guess, haha!

Cheers - boingk

Has anyone else here tried to do this and been successful? If so, how long did it take? If not, what was your downfall?

I am not specifically on "a quest" to use up my stuff, but I haven't bought anything new in several months. This stuff lasts a long, long time. Especially the triple-milled soaps. I have at least five of those, plus numerous glycerin soaps and a few creams.

As I also bought a 250-pack of Feather blades and I have three good razors and five shaving brushes, at age 56 it wouldn't surprise me if I could shave the rest of my life without buying anything else.

I won't, though. :wink:

Tim

I'm still relatively new to wet-shaving but I've acquired 4 tubs of shaving cream (listed in my signature) all in the space of two trips to my local shopping centre - I fear a serious SCAD creeping up - so I'm determined to use them up before I get any more (meanwhile I have my eye on C&E sweet almond oil & sandalwood, T&H rose, AOS sandalwood)

what do guys reckon is the life expectancy of a 150g tub of shaving cream - considering I shave every other day - and use generous amounts of cream per shave?

I estimated about 8years (if one tub lasts a year of daily shaving) - but some people here are posting that they can through their enormous stashes in a few years???

In my early, pre-DE wet-shaving days (when I was using Wilkinson Sword and Gillette cartridge razors, but still with a brush and soaps) I never bought new supplies until I'd finished what I had. I don't know why, it was just never something I did. But then when I joined SMF and got my first DE over a year ago and subsequently joined B&B, I almost always get something new whenever I see it on offer, or if it's rare to see it on the high street (ie every time I go to TK Maxx, or the indie chemist near my workplace).

Having said that, I have no qualms in quickly getting rid of stuff I don't like or don't get on with. There are some who have **(insert whichever one here)AD so bad that they can't even bring themselves to shift stuff they never use.

As for money "wastage", I feel less guilty about that cos I don't smoke, I don't drink and don't really have any other expensive vices (except for DVDs and CDs, though I've had to slow right down on them due to lack of storage for them all) and I see it all as good consumables that I will use and, in the long run, cost me a whole lot less than a lifetime of cartridges and canned goo.

If one is afflicted with any of the ADs mentioned on our forums (of which most are) RAD, SCAD, etc., it would be very difficult to use the entire stash before being tempted by the next item to try. Since shaving can be fun and sort of a hobby as well as a necessity, that seems to make it even more difficult to commit to using all of a stash before buying anything new.

Just my two cents worth.

Happy Shaving.

Mike in Tennessee

I'm always in a process of working through my gear, because I'm more of a budget guy. And--except for a short case of RAD--I haven't really collected a bunch of stuff, and would like to keep it that way. Here is my thinking for my creams/soaps (and what I currently have in that slot):

Everyday cream = Proraso (when this is gone, I might try Speick or JM Frasers)
Feel "pretty" cream = C&E Nomad (this is about gone, and will be replaced by a TOBS variety)
Quick/Brushless = KMF Key Lime. (Just bought this, it will be around for awhile. haven't thought about an alternative to it yet.)
Soap = ??? (this slot is still open. I tried Ogallala Bay Rum, and it burned. So I need to replace it. I'm leaning toward TABAC.)

I find this gives me logic/function/variety without going over the top.

My urge to gather some new gear is flaring up, and anytime that happens I revisit this thread. Since I started this thread I've finished a Muhle Sandalwood soap and a tube of The Body Shop's shaving cream. I've gone through quite a few blades as I'm now shaving my head with my Slant, and am almost through a puck of Williams.

But, now seeing so many others (as always) talk about finding new razors and how well they shave I really have the itch to purchase a new razor. I feel like I've gotten too comfortable with my HD and a part of me wishes I hadn't offered my Shavette as a PIF some time ago. But, I'm trying to stay strong. I guess that I'm lucky my paypal is disabled. (I had registered there under a previous email, but that email account is now closed and deleted, but my card number remains attached to that account. I guess I could go through the steps to get that fixed, but I just see it as a way to protect myself from needless purchases.) Anyway...I'm trying to stay strong, but am almost ready to break.

It's easier to rationalize the purchase of soaps/creams since they are consumables. Razors and brushes on the other hand take a bit more effort since you have to look at the availability and/or price.

It's easier to rationalize the purchase of soaps/creams since they are consumables. Razors and brushes on the other hand take a bit more effort since you have to look at the availability and/or price.

Robert,
Dear god! I gave your "My Stash" link in your signature a click and nearly fainted. That is a lot of soap.

Anyway....I didn't even make it through the day. I ordered a Futur from classicshaving. Hopefully it'll be in my hands in a few weeks.

i am nearly done with my combo of col conk bay rum and williams soap i melted together in a mug. so after that i've got: 2 cakes of C&E sienna soap, 1 tube of C&E sienna cream and 1 jar of truefitt & hill 1805 cream. so i think i'm set for a while.

According to my calculations I have a 5 year supply of shaving cream and soap, a 5 or 6 year supply of aftershave and a +2 year supply of blades. Whilst on holiday in the UK in May I managed to use a complete tube of Erasmic shaving cream, but I gained no ground in using up my stash as I purchased a cake of Kent (MWF) soap and a tube of C&E almond shaving cream in England. Some mornings I look at my stash and say to myself wouldn't it be simpler if I had only one or two of each; however, and this happens more frequently, I often look at my stash and say "Lovely".

I've got the following to work through (not nearly as much as some of you):

* 2 tubes of Bigelow SC (I just finished my first tube :thumbup1:)
* 1.5 tubes of C&E SAO SC
* 2 tubes of C&E Sienna SC
* 2.9 tubes of Speick SC

* 3 pucks of C&E Sienna SS

* 2.5 bottles of Old Spice cologne
* 0.5 bottle of Old Spice AS (but I'll be buying a couple to go with the cologne)
* 1.9 bottles of Speick cologne
* 1 bottle of Speick ASB

* Various blades from sample packs that I'll be working through for the next month

(Geez, writing it out makes it look larger than I thought.)

I don't plan on not purchasing anything before these are gone, but I'm trying to be somewhat judicious in what I buy. Yeah, like that'll work. :lol:

Top Bottom