What's new

Depleting Your Stash

In the time I've been wetshaving I've gathered a modest collection of goodies, and am now going to attempt to use everything in my stash before I think about adding anything else. I'm excited about working through everything, but it's a long road ahead and the progress, as you all know, will be slow.

I've got 8 pucks of soap all in different stages of use, 2 creams, and a smattering of blades. I'm guessing it's going to take me nearly a year to actually do this.

Has anyone else here tried to do this and been successful? If so, how long did it take? If not, what was your downfall?

With 8 soaps you are looking at 4 years- or more if they are triple milled!

There is no way to ever use it all up! Even if you think some progress is being made, there is always another great sale online, or you will find a wonderful clearance or sale at a brick and mortar store. Or there is a review on B&B of a soap or cream that you have not yet tired. One of the few things that helps me is to be generous and give give away as much as possible to friends and family that are now into wet shaving!:001_smile

3 T&H tubes
1 T&H tub
1 T&H soap
1/2 Col Conk

That would take me more than a year easily. But no doubt I'll pick up quite a bit more before then. I tend to always keep the favourites and just try new stuff add keep adding to that favourites collection.

I have one tube of Proraso Red Tube, one puck of Classic shave soap and a tub of TOBS Almond. I finished off a tub of TOBS hypoallergenic in about 2 months. At that rate I figure I'll be done with the tube of Almond in around 5-6 (it burns so I don't use it to much) months, the Proraso in around 4 and the Classic puck in a little bit less than 3 if I use it every day.

Oh yeah I also have a knurdle of Van Der Haggen glycerin I use every so often. I figure that with the rate at which I use it I'll have it done by the end of the year. I intend on picking up a Fat boy but not much else except razor blades.

V

VR6ofpain

I started selling my old Gillettes...unfortunately I started aquiring Merkurs!

I just killed a tube of cream this week, and a couple more tubes along with a puck of soap should be gone by the end of next month.

I don't like to build up large supplies of soaps because the smell does diminish over time, even when I carefully keep them covered between uses. And the smell is the primary reason for the variety.

Hmm..a question on semantics. I see that the new Slant Hammer (Slant with the 38 handle) is out at Lee's Razors. If I buy one of these does this count against depletion? It is a tool after all, and can't really be diminished. Temptation, temptation....:blushing:

Hmm..a question on semantics. I see that the new Slant Hammer (Slant with the 38 handle) is out at Lee's Razors. If I buy one of these does this count against depletion? It is a tool after all, and can't really be diminished. Temptation, temptation....:blushing:

I think a tool can be diminished, through lack of use. I have a meat slicer sitting in my garage. Never used and no idea why I even bought it (on sale). I keep trying to unload this thing on people, but I guess they're wiser than I.

With the soaps, creams, blades, razors, etc the defining question should just be "could this be a waste?" If you're going to use that razor enough to get your money's worth then you should buy it, but if you're not... save your money for something else. As for stash management, just trim out the stuff you don't like or won't be able to finish before it expires. A good trick we picked up was "one in, two out". If you buy one new thing before you need it you have to get rid of two old ones; it makes you think a little harder on those impulse buys. :wink:

1 QED Violetta
1 Tryphon permafrost
1 tryphon Lime
1/2 tub salters almond
a couple of trumpers samples.

20 percent of a bottle of dominican bay rum
70 percent of MB peppermint asb
1/2 bottle of proraso asb
40 percent of a bottle of skin food
a few samples

That should keep me going for quite a while. It took me like 3 months just to get through a couple mama bear soaps.

There is no way to ever use it all up! Even if you think some progress is being made, there is always another great sale online, or you will find a wonderful clearance or sale at a brick and mortar store. Or there is a review on B&B of a soap or cream that you have not yet tired. One of the few things that helps me is to be generous and give give away as much as possible to friends and family that are now into wet shaving!:001_smile

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing as I rotated a few new soaps from the active duty drawer to the reserve products locker. Every time I think I'm going to stop buying, I find a sale not to be missed. The good news is that things have slowed substantially (except for Italy), but for true equilibrium I would only buy one soap every six months.

I've been thinking of trying the same thing - use up all my stuff before any more purchases. I think it would take a really long time though. My stash, in the 8 months since I started DE shaving:

-1 Col. Conk almond (I actually used up a puck of Amber)
-1/3 Hydrolast shave cube (virtually useless without paste & activator)
-1 tube Proraso Red
-1 tube AOS lavender
-1 tub Nancy Boy signature
-1 tube T&H Trafalgar
-1 tub Trumpers limes on the way (liked it after getting the sample pack)

100 Derby blades plus a smattering of others from the West Coast Sampler. Proraso and Nivea ASB. Some Skin Food. Umm...Thayers & Disckinson's Witch Hazel....what else? A new unused Shavemac brush that I'm saving for a rainy day.

I've also tossed out the following because I absolutely couldn't use them:
-1 puck Williams (too drying)
-1 puck Conk Bay Rum (too spicey)
-1 puck Conk lime (wierd smelling)

It took me about 2 months to use up the Conk Amber using it every day, but that was before I learned to properly build lather using soap and I was using a lot, so I bet now one puck would last longer. The Proraso was my everyday shaver for a while and I used about 1/3 tube over three months.

I'm trying to burn up my stash a bit, but given my nature I think I'll wind up "replenishing" it in 6 or 9 months. I always joke with my hallmates that if the apocalypse hits, my room is the place to be, as I hoard enough food and shave supplies to keep the building well fed and well-shaved for months.

Here's how I look at my stash...

My father is one of 8 kids, my mother one of 4. I have enough razors for all of my male relatives (uncles, cousins, etc- heck, even husbands of cousins!) to have their own. I have enough blades to last my extended family a good six months, and enough soap and cream to last them perhaps two or three months.

That's my abstract way of explaining the size of my stash without really counting (you'd be surprised at how hard it is to count ~30 razors and get the number right:biggrin:). It's also my way of saying that, while I certainly have a mental shaving wishlist (Speick, Valobra, vetiver, sandalwood, bay rum, so much I have yet to try!), I'm going to need to burn through or trade some stuff first. It's just too hard to choose favorites!

I believe we should strive for simplicity. Find what works and get our supplies down to that essence. I have a ways to go but for me, it means Merkur HD, DR Harris Almond soap. Maybe we need a support area for folks who want to simplify. :001_smile

I've been thinking about this for a while now. I really need to use up some stuff. I have a tub of the TOBS Lemon & Lime that is probably my least favourite cream i have in my cupboard. I don't hate it, i just don't like it a whole bunch. I'm going to use that as a daily "standard" shave, and i reckon it'll be finished in about a month. If i'm going out/on a date etc, i'll stick with either T&H Trafalgar or Rose. I'll probably always have a tub of each of these because i love them so much. Same goes for GFT Limes and Proraso. If i can get myself down to these four main-stays, i'll be pretty happy.

Hopefully, by the end of May i'll have used up all the other stuff i have kicking around - a tube of GFT Almond, a tub of Proraso (the tube is more convenient for me), a smidgen of a puck of GFT Lime soap and the aforementioned TOBS. I also have some left in a can of Gillette Sensitive Skin that has been kicking around for ages which i will finish, although this mainly gets used by my mates if they stay at mine.
I've pretty much settled on Dorco or Derby being my blade of choice, so i'm going to work my way through the Merkur's, Gillette's and Wilkinson blades i have left, buy a couple of hundred Derby's and be done with it. I'm going to buy the C & E badger brush, based on all the positive comments here, keep my Carter & Bond as a travel brush and either give away my Omega boar brush and my Wilkinson, or stash them somewhere for headshaving. I've actually decided to grow my hair a little, but you never know...

A friend of mine was asking me questions about my shaving last night (the unsightly ingrown and mega irritation patch i've had on my neck for the past 10 years has finally disappeared and they noticed. I also had a particularly good shave yesterday, if i do say so myself), and they seemed really interested, so perhaps i'll offload some stuff on them to get them started. Fortunately, i don't have RAD and am totally satisfied with my HD - although at some point in the future i would like to own a Fatboy if i ever find one in England.

Sorry for the long post, i didn't mean to write a novel!

It's been a bit over a month since I wrote this originally and I'm still going strong, but as others noted earlier it's going to take me much longer to go through my stash. So far I've only finished off one puck of Muehle Sandalwood, and it was approximately 70% finished already. I've been superlathering every day with a cream from The Body Shop and have yet to finish it.

I battle on...but thankfully I've tamed any ADs I once had.

8 soaps in 4 years if used daily? I can be done with a puck of Williams in 3 weeks if I go at it real good. Hopefully one day I will move to the better stuff that I can't really pronounce, like Trafalgar...wonder what that is...

With 8 soaps you are looking at 4 years- or more if they are triple milled!

Another way to quickly deplete your stash is to NEVER be stingy on the amount you use. Don't waste the lather either. Make sure you wash your whole face with it, leave it on for a while, take a good whiff, enjoy. :biggrin:

Deplete my stash?

April fools was over a month ago!

Heh heh heh, you guys really had me going there for a minute.

In all seriousness though, who wants to deplete? I look forward to chosing from a variety of products and trying new things. Its part of the fun!

Top Bottom