What's new

Deodorant .which one and why

The only one I've tried that doesn't make my skin burn and itch is Old Spice Classic; I like the "fresh scent" when I can find it though not all stores in my area carry it, so "original" is fine too. I use it along with the Gillette blue after-shave for sensitive skin, and I've even had compliments from my boss-lady, who asked me what I use so she could get the same for her hubby!

I just stopped using antipersperant deodorant and I've been having trouble finding something that works. Old Spice Fiji deodorant (not the antipersp) and Toms of Main scented have been making my armpits very angry lately. I tried rubbing my alum block a few times but I feel it didn't do anything. Might follow some leads from this thread...

this is a weird suggestion - but I have started using an ALUM block with a spritz of cologne (not much) ... works great and keeps you dry.

Mitchum unscented. Unfortunately it leaves some if my white shirts pink after awhile. Like a year. Looking for a change myself.

Speed stick regular scented deodorant. It's what I have always used, it works great and I see no need to replace it until I find something better.

With all of the negatives heard these days concerning antiperspirants and deodorants, I started looking for a natural alternative.
After reading of the benefits of an alum bar after shaving, I purchased one. I also read how it can be used as a deodorant.
I have used it in both manners. It has worked great for each. It's also economical. I purchased a 100 gram bar at a local Indian grocery store for $1.99.

With all of the negatives heard these days concerning antiperspirants and deodorants, I started looking for a natural alternative.
After reading of the benefits of an alum bar after shaving, I purchased one. I also read how it can be used as a deodorant.
I have used it in both manners. It has worked great for each. It's also economical. I purchased a 100 gram bar at a local Indian grocery store for $1.99.
Alum causes my wife skin irritation, I guess some folks are sensitive to it. I have also heard alum causes Alzheimers, but I forget why.

I will give this a great big thumbs up too. This is the first deodorant I have used that actually does what its supposed to AND lasts all day. I have used various other brands from the store and none worked that great, IMO. Most deodorants on the store shelves seem to simply cover up underarm odor with various perfumes and scents and none of them would make it the whole day. I decided to give this one a try and I'm glad I did.

I will give this a great big thumbs up too. This is the first deodorant I have used that actually does what its supposed to AND lasts all day. I have used various other brands from the store and none worked that great, IMO. Most deodorants on the store shelves seem to simply cover up underarm odor with various perfumes and scents and none of them would make it the whole day. I decided to give this one a try and I'm glad I did.

They also just released a two new scents: orange and lime. Bought one of each along with another peppermint.

I use the Mitchum deodorant and have for quite some time now. I noticed that they recently changed the packaging and it now says 48 hour protection right there on it. I don't want a deodorant to give me 48 hour protection. I'm not sure if they are marketing this to fifth and sixth grade boys who think that AXE body spray is an effective replacement for a shower. Are they are just encouraging them to go longer without showering? Please don't, so to Mitchum I say "cut it out" and to all fifth and sixth grade boys I say "You stink take a shower". Sorry, about my rant, my wife's a teacher and these kids stink.

Mitchum is great stuff and, while I'd love to try something else to change it up, I haven't found anything that works better for me.

Spent years and years looking for a good deodorant. The most expensive one I bought was I think 35 dollars. Worked acceptably. Used the high concentration aluminum chloride to stop sweat completely, but still left me with a slight funk at the end of the day.

The answer: REGULAR BAKING SODA. Take a dime/nickel sized pile, put a little puddle of water to dissolve in palm of hand, such that the grit is not felt. Rub hands together and then rub thoroughly into pits onto skin. If you have a lot of pit hair, increase the amount of baking soda, but not to the point of the puddle feeling grainy. After the old deodorants got out of my system I found I sweat less. It was so cheap to give it a try, pay off was huge for me.

Update- been using my alum block as deodorant and it's been going pretty good. My irritation in the armpits immediately went away. I still use a swipe or two of Toms of Maine Mountain Breeze for scent but the alum does a great job of keeping odor away. I'm pleasantly surprised.

Geo.F. Trumper's GFT deo stick... The price tag only seems very expensive. Don't let it fool you, it lasts a long time. Been using the same stick for 2 months, and based on the ratio of used:unused, and reviews I've read from other users, I'd say I have at least 6 more months to go. 8 month out of a stick of deodorant? Based on the long lasting and very refreshing scent, it's a bargain. I'd recommend this to anyone!

This might be a really dumb question, but when using an alum block as a deodorant do you wet it? Wet your armpits? Leave your armpits a bit damp when getting out of the shower? Apply it dry?

I've been looking to go with something a bit more natural and would like to give it a try. I have a RazoRock alum stick that I can try for now and see how it goes.

Thanks!

Ben

This year I made the switch to the RazoRock Aloe Alum spray in an attempt to use something more natural and I'm certainly glad I did. No aluminum and it's unscented so it doesn't interfere with your fragrance of choice. I sweat and I smell and this takes care of that without issue.

At $6.99/bottle though you might get sticker shock but know this, it lasts an incredibly long time. For reference, I'm through about a bottle and a half since January of this year using it sometimes twice a day. I was previously going through a speed stick in about three weeks.

I've been looking locally for something new. Today I ended up getting a stick of Crystal. Which is great because, I was looking for something in the alum family. I plan on trying it out tonight. After years of Old Spice aluminum sticks (I know, I know) and quitting smoking, it seems that I'm finally thinking healthy. Wipe my underarms with a rock? I can't wait.

This might be a really dumb question, but when using an alum block as a deodorant do you wet it? Wet your armpits? Leave your armpits a bit damp when getting out of the shower? Apply it dry?

I've been looking to go with something a bit more natural and would like to give it a try. I have a RazoRock alum stick that I can try for now and see how it goes.

Thanks!

Ben

I don't know if anything is different between a Crystal stick and an alum block but, the directions on the Crystal says to moisten the top of the stone.

Top Bottom