What's new

Denim Dye vs. White Leather

I have some awesome new SEA jeans from Outerknown. They fit great and look great (according to SWMBO). I also have some cool new white Grand Court adidas. Today, the two met and worked well together.

However, at the end of the day, it seems that the jeans - having been washed exactly once - bled indigo dye onto areas of contact with the white pebble-leather of the adidas.

I tried using some soap and water, even employing a soft toothbrush, to get the dye off. I succeeded in getting most of it off, but there's still some "ghost color" left behind.

Any suggestions for how to get the shoes clean? I want to wear this combo regularly, but not if doing so ruins the shoes for wearing with shorts.

That sucks! BTW if you have a car with a light colored leather seating DON’T go for a drive in them unless you want a big blue butt mark. I gave up on selvedge jeans for this reason. Until they‘re practically worn out you have to think twice about where you will be sitting or apparently even what shoes you wear. I’ve had the reverse effect with dark colored cordovan chukkas offsetting color onto light colored trouser hems! Luckily it washed out.

No tested advice on the shoe cleaning. There are plenty of knowledgable people on here though. I’d dump the jeans.

If you spray a sneaker protectant over the shoes you might get more of a barrier which will stop the dye getting into the grain - I also find that leather or sneaker cleaner is often more effective at lifting stains.

Some people also talk about adding a cup of white vinegar to a wash with your jeans for the first time to “set” the die but not sure how well that works or not.

If you spray a sneaker protectant over the shoes you might get more of a barrier which will stop the dye getting into the grain - I also find that leather or sneaker cleaner is often more effective at lifting stains.

Some people also talk about adding a cup of white vinegar to a wash with your jeans for the first time to “set” the die but not sure how well that works or not.
Huh - I’ve never heard of “setting the dye”. That’s interesting, though maybe too late. I’ll do some research, thanks for the tip.

I will look for some sneaker cleaner. I’m sure something is out there, considering the sneakerhead community.

Top Bottom