What's new

Decanted some Pinaud clubman today!

Pretty cool. Been looking for pinaud glass on the bay but it's difficult for me to blow a bunch of money on an empty bottle. The prices are outrageous.

Agreed, outrageous is the word. The internet is no place to buy something like this. I'd suggest raiding every local antique store for any vintage razors, aftershaves or retired bottles. I got mine for $3.

Fred D

Member of The Illiterati
I actually use a syringe I got from GouletPens.com.

HERE

It's got a long, blunt tipped metal needle sold there for transferring fountain pen ink. You'd have to try very hard to poke yourself with one of these. It's probably more time-consuming than a funnel, but I happened to have them on hand, so it's what I use.
Those syringes are great for fountain pens, and I've also found other uses for them as well since buying them.

HERE

It's got a long, blunt tipped metal needle sold there for transferring fountain pen ink. You'd have to try very hard to poke yourself with one of these. It's probably more time-consuming than a funnel, but I happened to have them on hand, so it's what I use.
My goodness, I never thought out of the box enough lol. I have several of these. Thank you good sir!

Those syringes are great for fountain pens, and I've also found other uses for them as well since buying them.
Completely agree, very useful!!

I posted in an other thread, but didn't get much attention, so I'll ask here as well...

I came across the bottles below this weekend, which I'll be using to decant some AS.

Left to right

Pinaud bottle. I'll need to cork this one, and I'm not sure what's going in this one yet.

Royall Bay Rhum. This will house Bootlegger's bay rum, once I get it clean. However, cleaning this one has me scratching my head. I normally use alcohol and course salt to clean the inside of bottles, but I don't want to demolish the bay leaf. I also don't know how to remove the cork without ruining it, so I'm thinking I might need to replace the cork, which means I'll have to figure a way to retain the little crown topper. I WOULD LOVE ANY INPUT OR ADVICE if anyone can share your thoughts.

Lucky Tiger (for scalp eczema and dandruff). I've never tried Lucky Tiger AS but now that I have this bottle, I sort of feel like I HAVE to buy some and decant it. I'll just need to improvise a seal for under the cap because the original cork is toast. (more on this later.)

Pinaud Eau De Quinine. I want to decant Clubman into this bottle, but I don't want to remove the existing label.

On a scale of 1 - 10, how sacrilegious would it be to remove this label and stick on a Clubman label from a plastic bottle?

1670293899100.png

Fred D

Member of The Illiterati

I posted in an other thread, but didn't get much attention, so I'll ask here as well...

I came across the bottles below this weekend, which I'll be using to decant some AS.

Left to right

Pinaud bottle. I'll need to cork this one, and I'm not sure what's going in this one yet.

Royall Bay Rhum. This will house Bootlegger's bay rum, once I get it clean. However, cleaning this one has me scratching my head. I normally use alcohol and course salt to clean the inside of bottles, but I don't want to demolish the bay leaf. I also don't know how to remove the cork without ruining it, so I'm thinking I might need to replace the cork, which means I'll have to figure a way to retain the little crown topper. I WOULD LOVE ANY INPUT OR ADVICE if anyone can share your thoughts.

Lucky Tiger (for scalp eczema and dandruff). I've never tried Lucky Tiger AS but now that I have this bottle, I sort of feel like I HAVE to buy some and decant it. I'll just need to improvise a seal for under the cap because the original cork is toast. (more on this later.)

Pinaud Eau De Quinine. I want to decant Clubman into this bottle, but I don't want to remove the existing label.

On a scale of 1 - 10, how sacrilegious would it be to remove this label and stick on a Clubman label from a plastic bottle?

View attachment 1567818
I would say a 10

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.

Left to right

View attachment 1567818

Put the Clubman label on the opposite side? Nothing wrong with having two cool labels? :)

I would say a 10

Oh boy. Ok that's what I was afraid of.

Tried posting the gif of the Office Space guy just saying "ooh yeah" but the whole quote played,. saying "I'm gonna have to disagree with you there".

Since I kinda do agree with you, I can't use the gif. oh well.

Anyway, thanks for the feedback!

Fred D

Member of The Illiterati
Oh boy. Ok that's what I was afraid of.

Tried posting the gif of the Office Space guy just saying "ooh yeah" but the whole quote played,. saying "I'm gonna have to disagree with you there".

Since I kinda do agree with you, I can't use the gif. oh well.

Anyway, thanks for the feedback!
By the way, the 12.5 oz. bottles I have come with a pull tab to remove the sticker.

1clubman.jpg

So I'm working on sort of restoring these bottles (or at least getting them back on the road again) and thought you folks might like to see.

Lucky Tiger

Before:
1670435443520.png
1670435464239.png

1670435492064.png

I stripped it down through a series of wire brushing and sanding/scraping. That cap is very thin, and was actually plated. Pretty sure it was brass or copper with nickel plating because there was green corrosion, and after sanding it smooth I found some areas that looked copper in color, and other areas that were silver in color.

I painted it black for now and added a seal from an empty Avon bottle. Now to pick up some Lucky Tiger and fill 'er up.

1670434983173.png
1670435025816.png

The Royall bottle is cool, it's a cork, but with a metal reducer fitted into the cork, and the small crown on top is actually a threaded cap.

Maybe this isn't news to anyone, but I didn't know how this was set up.

Royall Bay Rhum

Before:
1670436608538.png

I always forget to take before pictures, so I zoomed in on the pic I took when I got them home. This pic doesn't represent how nasty this thing was.

I removed the cork and reducer, and cleaned the bottle.

The bay leaf inside the bottle paid the ultimate price, and shattered when I tried to pull it out.

The cork itself disintegrated as well, but everything still smelled so great.

The bottle is nice and clean now, and I've been working the metal bits of the top with a toothbrush, qtips and alcohol, and a wire brush etc, and I've gotten it back to what you see below.

I plan to get a new cork and see if I can re-assemble this so it can go back into service in my den.

The metal is extremely soft. Does anyone know what it is? Pewter? Lead?

After:
1670434444145.png

1670434466722.png

Ironicaly, I have the same aftershave in the exact same bottle, but did not know the trick of transferring the label. I will try that the next time. Thanks for the tip. FYI, anyone that has any Pinaud product and has not transferred it to a glass bottle does not know what they are missing out on. Do yourself a huge favor and transfer it to glass. You will be impressed with the difference it makes, night and day. Don't know how it works, but it does. It may just be magic, who knows.
Thank you I will do this. I'm guessing a small funnel would be handy?

Thank you I will do this. I'm guessing a small funnel would be handy?

HERE

Top Bottom