What's new

DE woes .... ugh.

I'm having a heck of a time adjusting to single blade/DE shaving. I never thought it would be this uncomfortable to shave! I have a very heavy/course beard and usually get perfect shaves with my Gillette Sensor. My skin is not particularly sensitive and it's fairly resilient even if I have a less than stellar shave (provided I'm using my Sensor 3).

I'm using good lather technique, good brush, good creams/soaps, fresh blades (Derby), very gentle (if any) pressure on the razor. The shave feels like it's going smoothly but I keep seeing spots where I've nicked myself - even if it doesn't feel like I'm nicking myself. I got halfway through my shave today and set the HD aside and finished with my Sensor 3. I've done this more than a few times since I got my HD - bailed out of a shave early and finished with the Sensor. I REALLY don't wanna give up on this. The benefits are too great to just hang it up this fast. But for the life of me I can't figure out how men got smooth shaves with these razors when the DE and straight was the only option. I suppose if you don't know any better and a DE is all you've ever used then of course you'd master it - just like anything else. The problem areas on my face (while using the HD) are typically the same - neck, adam's apple, chin. I have no problem with the flat surfaces (imagine that!) - cheeks. I've tried doing the "half swallow" technique to flatten out the adam's apple area but my neck is still not liking it.

The Merkur HD was recommended as an excellent beginner's razor. Could it be that the HD might not be the best fit for me? Should I even look at other razors as an option? The Gillette TECH was recommended as a good alternative. Should I be looking at Gillette razors instead of Merkurs? What about the Gillette Superspeed - any of you guys familiar with this one? I bought my razor from Lee and wouldn't hesitate to buy from him again. Is there a different Merkur that might be a better option?

Thanks!

Get the sample blade pack from Westcoast. I did not get good results with Derby or Dorko myself. Crystals are doing great for me so far.

My neck is a trouble spot as well. I still get razor burn occasionally but I'm sure it's all technique (I'm still learning).

what kinds of blades have you tried. That would be my next thing to try, and continue to work on your technique.

what kinds of blades have you tried. That would be my next thing to try, and continue to work on your technique.

I started out using Merkur blades. Now I'm using Derby. I have a couple packs of Crystal blades but I haven't tried those yet.

There's no question that there is that learning curve. You seem to have all of the right equipment and at least, it would seem, you are trying to shave correctly. Perhaps the blade might need to be different but I wonder if the prep is enough. You know the diference between a torture and a pleasure might just be that. Try a prep cream or oil. Without going out and spending a bunch of money on a pre shave cream, may get a cheap pot of noxema cream and try a thin layer of that first. Or just some vitamen e oil first.

Don't give it up. About 8 years ago when I started collecting DE and SE razors and started using them, I didn't know what the hell I was doing. Although I started with these razors, it had been over 30 years since I used them and 30 years of plastic had ruined me. I put them aside until about three years ago and, with the help of sites like these, tried again and it has been great ever since. Some nicks are normal during the beginning of the learning curve. The fact that you don't even feel them is a tribute the sharpness of the blade, not necessarily some fault of your own. It could just be that you need to "focus" more, even though it might not be zen shaving that you need to consider!

Good luck.

V

VR6ofpain

Get the sample blade pack from Westcoast. I did not get good results with Derby or Dorko myself. Crystals are doing great for me so far.

My neck is a trouble spot as well. I still get razor burn occasionally but I'm sure it's all technique (I'm still learning).
Merkurs are horrid, Dorko's are kind of dull. Crystals (Israeli Super Platinum) are the bomb! Buy them!

There's no question that there is that learning curve. You seem to have all of the right equipment and at least, it would seem, you are trying to shave correctly. Perhaps the blade might need to be different but I wonder if the prep is enough. You know the diference between a torture and a pleasure might just be that. Try a prep cream or oil. Without going out and spending a bunch of money on a pre shave cream, may get a cheap pot of noxema cream and try a thin layer of that first. Or just some vitamen e oil first.

Don't give it up. About 8 years ago when I started collecting DE and SE razors and started using them, I didn't know what the hell I was doing. Although I started with these razors, it had been over 30 years since I used them and 30 years of plastic had ruined me. I put them aside until about three years ago and, with the help of sites like these, tried again and it has been great ever since. Some nicks are normal during the beginning of the learning curve. The fact that you don't even feel them is a tribute the sharpness of the blade, not necessarily some fault of your own. It could just be that you need to "focus" more, even though it might not be zen shaving that you need to consider!

Good luck.

Thanks for your feedback, I appreciate it. Actually, yes, I do a very thorough prep before I shave. I use a face scrub that I swear by - it's excellent. It's by Menscience. It seems to mesh perfectly with my skin so I use it before every shave. When I use the DE the pre-shave prep still doesn't make much of a difference for me.

I wonder if I need a longer handle razor? Maybe I just need a slightly less-aggressive razor ... if there is such a thing.

Not to throw something else into the mix but maybe you should try not washing/scrubbing your face before you shave. I have found that my face reacts better when I do not wash before a shave. The scrubbing of the wash coupled with the shave is just too much irritation for me. Maybe for you as well. For a preshave, try applying a layer of layer, then a hot towel. Give it a few minutes before applying the lather for your first pass. Might be worth a shot.

Good luck.

If you havn't already done so watch Mantic's videos. Proper use of the DE razor is all about proper angle and very little pressure.Also, there is a definite period of letting your beard adjust to the new method of shaving. I use a 1940's Gillette Super Speed with Personna red pack blades and get perfect shaves every day.Give it time and work on your technique............you'll be rewarded! GOOD LUCK!!

@ The OP: I remember thinking the exact same thing when I first started. For me a big part was getting a different blade and just practice. Don't give up. Quitting is for quitters :001_huh:

Try the Crystals (IPs). Double check on the prep. Consider an open comb at some point due to the heaviness of your beard. I've got a slant but it doesn't do as well as my New/Improved. None of my Merkurs can hold a candle to my New/Improved or red tip. Perhaps you have a Gillette face?

Dave,
You haven't told us... How many shaves in are you?

Are you DE shaving every day?

Oh gosh, I don't know ... maybe 6 or 7. I'm not using the DE every day -which is really what I should be doing if I expect to get better. But every time I have an uncomfortable shave I temporarily "retire" the DE to under the sink and pick up my Sensor. Then I get motivated again and bring it out of retirement. Haha ... a vicious cycle.

If you havn't already done so watch Mantic's videos. Proper use of the DE razor is all about proper angle and very little pressure.Also, there is a definite period of letting your beard adjust to the new method of shaving. I use a 1940's Gillette Super Speed with Personna red pack blades and get perfect shaves every day.Give it time and work on your technique............you'll be rewarded! GOOD LUCK!!

I think that's what it is, too. Just allowing your beard to adjust. My problem is I'm not using the DE every day so my beard/face never has a chance to really get used to it!

The HD is a rather aggressive razor, a lot of the blade edge is exposed before the safety bar is on the skin. That's not a bad thing, it's just that the angle at which you use it is critical.

I would start with the razor handle at horizontal and parallel to the floor. Lower the head just until you hear it cutting whiskers. Every once in a while (like every few strokes,) tilt it back toward horizontal for a stroke or so, where it's just smearing the lather, and then tilt down again to make sure the blade is still at the correct angle.

Also, Derby blades are coated with about 6 different agents. If your skin is irritated and not just bleeding, it could be the coating dissolving off. It was a problem I had. I tried the sample pack and found Crystals were perfect for me. I don't have a heavy beard however and they may not be sharp enough for you.

Often an aggressive razor is easier to deal with as it doesn't require as many passes to do the job. But angulation is critical. The SS is a less aggressive razor, but takes practice to get a close shave.

It is crucial that you not give up. It took me weeks just to find the best blade, another few to find the right razor, and a couple of months to get a good shave. I'm still working on the angle and technique. For some it takes much longer, I'm one of the lucky ones, but that came from reading a lot here. Read some of the newbie threads and the responses. You're not alone.

Best,

Jay

The HD is a rather aggressive razor, a lot of the blade edge is exposed before the safety bar is on the skin. That's not a bad thing, it's just that the angle at which you use it is critical.

I would start with the razor handle at horizontal and parallel to the floor. Lower the head just until you hear it cutting whiskers. Every once in a while (like every few strokes,) tilt it back toward horizontal for a stroke or so, where it's just smearing the lather, and then tilt down again to make sure the blade is still at the correct angle.

Also, Derby blades are coated with about 6 different agents. If your skin is irritated and not just bleeding, it could be the coating dissolving off. It was a problem I had. I tried the sample pack and found Crystals were perfect for me. I don't have a heavy beard however and they may not be sharp enough for you.

Often an aggressive razor is easier to deal with as it doesn't require as many passes to do the job. But angulation is critical. The SS is a less aggressive razor, but takes practice to get a close shave.

It is crucial that you not give up. It took me weeks just to find the best blade, another few to find the right razor, and a couple of months to get a good shave. I'm still working on the angle and technique. For some it takes much longer, I'm one of the lucky ones, but that came from reading a lot here. Read some of the newbie threads and the responses. You're not alone.

Best,

Jay

Thank Jay

I have been shaving for close to fifty years, I think I have the technique down pretty well. If the only blades available were Derbys I would quit shaving, that is how poorly they perform for me. I second the suggestion to get a sample pack and check them all out. So many different blades out there, try a variety and see what you think. That is what "ymmv" is all about.

Oh gosh, I don't know ... maybe 6 or 7. I'm not using the DE every day -which is really what I should be doing if I expect to get better. But every time I have an uncomfortable shave I temporarily "retire" the DE to under the sink and pick up my Sensor. Then I get motivated again and bring it out of retirement. Haha ... a vicious cycle.

When I started wet shaving, I alternated weeks between a DE and an Injector razor. I had lots of irritation and it wasn't very satisfying. After a couple of months, I decided to commit to the DE and used it for 3 or 4 weeks in a row. That stretch got me over the learning curve. Once I really "learned" the technique, I have have no trouble switching between the DE and Injector razors.

Blades are truely a YMMV item! I won't touch Merkur blades again and Derby is my go to blade. The Israeli Presonas are close to Derby for me. I liked the Sweedish Gillette blades and Feathers are too sharp. If you ask 5 people about blades and you are likely to get 5 different answers...

Try the Crystals (IPs). Double check on the prep. Consider an open comb at some point due to the heaviness of your beard. I've got a slant but it doesn't do as well as my New/Improved. None of my Merkurs can hold a candle to my New/Improved or red tip. Perhaps you have a Gillette face?
+1 on the New Improved razors. Not cheap, but great razors, and very heavy.

I'd also suggest that you consider reducing the number of passes for some shaves. On the weekends, for example, you may want to only do two or three gentle passes instead of four, and accept a less-close shave. It would be a way to give your face a break without temporarily "retiring" the DE.

Finally, have you found a good soothing after shave balm? That wouldn't solve the problem but it would definitely help treat the symptoms until you get the problem solved.

Best of luck. Let us know how it turns out.

Top Bottom