What's new

DE vs Cartridge. and the winner is.

I decided to go back to my mach 3 for tonight's shave and used it for the right side of my face and on the left my 51 black tip super speed loaded up with a shark ss to see a comparison. I think I gave the mach 3 a fair shot it had a new cartridge and I started with the right side. I start my first pass and within 5 seconds after a few choice words as it started ripping the hair out instead of cutting it I threw it and the 12 spare heads for it in the trash where it belongs and finished up with my super speed. My wife did not believe up until now that a single blade can give a better shave then a cartridge. Now if only I can convert her away from these venus Gillette monstrosity's.

Anyone else ever do a side by side comparison and have the same outcome?

If any of those replacements you threw out were boxed, I'll take them off your hands.

Ginger or Mary Ann?

I prefer DE's, but carts must work for some gents or they couldn't be sold.

I'm more interested in exploring this idea! I'm going to assume:

Ginger = Carts and goo (faster, easier, but with a lot of pull)
Maryann = Classic wet-shaving (slower, more skill needed, higher quality, lasts longer and more traditional):blink:

Peace, Gentlemen!

Mach 3's are good for shaving ... ah ... other places. If you fish those blades from the garbage I would gladly trade something for them. Want some Razorock creams?

:lol:

Another cart thread ...

proxy.php
I'm pulling up a chair beside of you, Edgar. I'll bring the popcorn and gummy bears.

this is one of those "YMMV" but after switching to DE razor over 3-months ago I will never go back to a cartridge. I can get a very fine shave for 1-week on a single Astra SP blade and the blades cost me $9.95 for 100 so that's a pretty cheap year of shaving. I'm getting consistent smooth shaves with no irritation and enjoy my morning wet shave with my Merkur slant or Weber PH razors ... the extra money I'd of spent on carts I used to fill my shave den with soaps, croaps, a Simpson brush and several aftershaves.
Not knocking the cart shavers just giving my opinion and experience .. My morning shaves have been so much more enjoyable since going to the DE razors

And ... I have zero shave soaps that cost $30 nor do I have any razor I paid $100 for
If your a cartman then that's fine but a lot of folks on here appreciate the fine shaves from their DE's ... and from talking to several people who shave with carts, several have never tried a good DE

Now if only I can convert her away from these venus Gillette monstrosity's.

Be careful what you wish for because the first time your wife is in a hurry and forgets to tighten it down and takes a chunk out of her leg it will be ALL-YOUR-FAULT and you'll never hear the end of it. To this day, my wife swears she still has scars on her leg from a Lady Gillette incident 50 years ago. My wife is happy with her carts and I just leave it at that.

My wife insists on using a Mach 3 and that will likely never change.

She graciously accepted a custom handle I found for her, but she has no interest in any other changes.

At least I can use one of her cartridges on my own handle when I need to travel.....

I have a few "good" vintage and modern DE razors as well as a "good" vintage SE and I have "good" brushes and although none cost over $60 (Futur was the most expensive and it's junk) they add up to a heck of a lot more money than my Trac II and carts both in total expense and daily costs. None of my "good" equipment gives any better shaves than a Trac II and Barbasol, just my experience and I have a lot of it. I actually regret returning to DE and SE shaving instead of just going back to the tried and true Trac II and Barbasol back when I got fed up with the 3+ blade carts, I'd be a about two hundred ahead at this point.

Some guys beat up on carts because they can't stand carts for good reasons (YMMV), some are just tailgating because they think it's fun or cool but for many of us carts are excellent tools. I'm about ready to dump this Forum because I'm tired of all the cart-bashing nonsense. Wet shaving is wet shaving no matter what the tools.

No matter what the razor, 2 or 3 hours and the stubble returns. The ONE advantage I will give a TracII over a DE, is that the stubble comes back slightly 'smoother' for some reason, and if I pay careful attention to it, even a little more even. The advantage with the DE (and no not cost), is that the redness around the middle of my neck and jaw line that ANY cartridge gives me, doesn't happen. Added bonus, nothing gets around the nose and sideburns better than a DE with a sharp blade!

i have a Cart razor that I use when I am really in a hurry and I can't enjoy a nice lathery shave. For me shaving is a pleasure, and I refuse to half *** it. That's when Cremo Cream and a Mach 5 comes handy. It is always a nice "In case of Emergency" alternative.

I use Arko. Superior to the canned goo, and most $30 soaps. . A little over a dollar a stick. Each stick can last about 5-8 months. I use a DE blade that doesn't clog. Nuff said.

Mach 3's are good for shaving ... ah ... other places. If you fish those blades from the garbage I would gladly trade something for them. Want some Razorock creams?

Sorry man the trash went out this morning and I don't think your want them man I'm thinking they might have been knocks off (I did get them from ebay a box of 12 for $20) but my whole point of this post is from the first time I used a cart when I started shaving at 14 is they rip my hair out instead of cutting through it but that is my face and everyone is different these are just my results. However if I ever do get a box of them again I'll glady trade them as rozorock is on my to try list.

Waiting for all the cart apologists to claim "it was your technique". :rolleyes1
This.
I shaved with carts for almost over 12 years and 99% of my shaves were horrible. I can't see how it could have been my technique after all those years, considering that I picked up a jagged de-87 loaded with a derby ade and got a flawless shave the first time I gave DE shaving a try.

I did a month of daily shaves (September) with a single ladies Schick Hydro cart last year. First time using a cart with more than 2 blades. While the head was large, I adjusted to it and had no issues, not even under the nose. The most disturbing thing was the slime trail. :bored:

Sam , you won the Golden Wonka ticket, that was a special set of ultra-Limited edition Hydros with the Snail DNA moisturizing additive:tongue_sm Gotta love these Cart vs DE threads

I am always amused by these threads I've got to say. I switched from carts because the Fusion carts while giving a good shave would only last like 4 shaves due to me using them for head shaving as well. Plus now that I started using a brush and soap, I realize my technique was horrid. I'd go over the same spot repeatedly trying to get a BBS especially on my head then wonder why I'd wind up with nicks. Now it's a quick two pass with my injector or SE and off I go. I still use a Gillette Guard for head shaving and it works fine. There is no shame in using whatever works for you.

BTW I prefer Maryann

Top Bottom