What's new

DE vs Cartridge. and the winner is.

I decided to go back to my mach 3 for tonight's shave and used it for the right side of my face and on the left my 51 black tip super speed loaded up with a shark ss to see a comparison. I think I gave the mach 3 a fair shot it had a new cartridge and I started with the right side. I start my first pass and within 5 seconds after a few choice words as it started ripping the hair out instead of cutting it I threw it and the 12 spare heads for it in the trash where it belongs and finished up with my super speed. My wife did not believe up until now that a single blade can give a better shave then a cartridge. Now if only I can convert her away from these venus Gillette monstrosity's.

Anyone else ever do a side by side comparison and have the same outcome?

Last edited:

Search the archives. I've done a comparison with a Trac and a DE razor, and with an Atra and a DE razor.

Used vintage (before 1989) cartridges both times. I think that makes a difference.

FWIW: my outcome was different than yours. There was no absolute winner, but especially the 1980's Wilkinson Sword cartridge had the best mix of comfort and longevity.

I had planned to use both the cartridge and the DE blade for a week. The DE blade didn't make it.

I said last time that I should repeat the test with both a vintage Wilkinson Sword DE blade and twin blade cartridge. That will give the DE razor a fairer chance.

Still I prefer the DE razor for nostalgia reasons, and I use that 95% of the time.

Last edited:

Nope, you are unique. The rest millions of people using Mach 3 & Co. don't have those kind of problems. It must be the bias, in your case. But, just my opinion, i think we're talking about imagination. Just another "carts suck" thread. I don't believe that you bought 12 pack of heads just to "try out" Mach 3, as i don't believe that it would have been as painful as you say, or that you would have throw them :thumbup1:. But, if you are sincere, my only bet is that they were not original carts, and those cheap ones that you can use on Mach 3 handle. Those are pretty bad, indeed.
Also, not enough data for your 5 seconds "fair shot". What you describe can happen, at least in my case, after over 5-6 days of growth. That's where DE is much better than Mach 3, as the multi-blade system is getting clogged and it's starts pulling.

This time, I'm just watching.

:lol:

Another cart thread ...

proxy.php

I prefer DE's, but carts must work for some gents or they couldn't be sold.

Really I don't know. I think industries and marketing were more interested to sell cartridges.We all know that is more expensive shave with carts. So their profit are larger. This is why they think up to new characteristics that, if listened, draw more money from our pocket.
But industries are hungry of money. This is why there is globalization for example. I manufacture the same product there where my costs are cheaper. But often as a consumer we are disappointed because the quality decline while the cost increase.
Here we can do a difference, as a consumer participant to the forum. Put under the spotlight that products that make a difference! That products that still have a quality that differentiate themselves from the other. And I think this is why so many people crowd this forum.
As nuclearblast pointed out there are so many posts that say DE shaving is comparable to the cartridge shaving. That's incredible. One blade is doing almost the same work of 3-5 blades together!:thumbup:

I think most people are more interested in bashing carts than in a real discussion about various cartridge types, and pros and cons.

I'm out :001_smile

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
I get about the same result from a cart (Sensor), DE, and Injector. My straight shaves are more fun but not as close, which is okay in my book as I'll be shaving in 24 hours once again. Irrespective of what I used in the morning, sometimes I pull a 2-a-day if we are going out in the evening.

I get about the same result from a cart (Sensor), DE, and Injector.

I would describe all three as simple tools that simply do a great job. The problem with the cartridge happened after they continued adding more blades (beyond two) with zero benefit, and a whole lot of negatives.

I get equally great shaves from my Trac II (one of the first cartridge razors dating all the way back to 1971), an Injector, and a DE razor.

Really I don't know. I think industries and marketing were more interested to sell cartridges.We all know that is more expensive shave with carts. So their profit are larger. This is why they think up to new characteristics that, if listened, draw more money from our pocket.
But industries are hungry of money. This is why there is globalization for example. I manufacture the same product there where my costs are cheaper. But often as a consumer we are disappointed because the quality decline while the cost increase.
Here we can do a difference, as a consumer participant to the forum. Put under the spotlight that products that make a difference! That products that still have a quality that differentiate themselves from the other. And I think this is why so many people crowd this forum.
As nuclearblast pointed out there are so many posts that say DE shaving is comparable to the cartridge shaving. That's incredible. One blade is doing almost the same work of 3-5 blades together!:thumbup:

Waiting for all the cart apologists to claim "it was your technique". :rolleyes1

All of this, especially the first quote.

I would describe all three as simple tools that simply do a great job. The problem with the cartridge happened after they continued adding more blades (beyond two) with zero benefit, and a whole lot of negatives.

I get equally great shaves from my Trac II (one of the first cartridge razors dating all the way back to 1971), an Injector, and a DE razor.

This is me also.:thumbup:

I don't apologize for using a Trac II. I just laugh at those who say ALL carts are trash and ALL carts cost more than DE or SE shaving as they slather on their $30 shave cream or soap and load a $100+ razor with a $0.40 blade that will last all of about 3-4 shaves.

I think more seasoned veterans around here should go back to cartridges, for a one week comparison.

No thanks. Even if the shave quality was the same or I could get a close comfortable shave in less time I would never go back to paying for carts. My blades cost me 10-20 cents per blade and I always get 5-7 shaves on any blade.

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
I think more seasoned veterans around here should go back to cartridges, for a one week comparison.
I did a month of daily shaves (September) with a single ladies Schick Hydro cart last year. First time using a cart with more than 2 blades. While the head was large, I adjusted to it and had no issues, not even under the nose. The most disturbing thing was the slime trail. :bored:

I did a month of daily shaves (September) with a single ladies Schick Hydro cart last year. First time using a cart with more than 2 blades. While the head was large, I adjusted to it and had no issues, not even under the nose. The most disturbing thing was the slime trail. :bored:

This is something I have never brought up in my "cartridge-bashing", so-to-speak. As if the cost of these things wasn't a slap in the face enough, the slime strips are absolutely worthless!

The ridiculousness of the tired marketing gimmicks is the worst.

Top Bottom