What's new

DE vs Cartridge. and the winner is.

This morning I used a Gillette Sensor 3 just to save time because I slept in after a day of travel. The shave is perfectly comfortable however the stubble on my face is very noticeable to the touch in just a few hours where normally when I use a DE razor my face is much smoother for about 8 hours or so. I prefer the DE for this reason, takes more time but I prefer the process and skill.

Got to be said, used cartridges for over 20 years... Never got a satisfactory shave.
until I got into single blade shaving.

It's also getting me back into woodwork... Shave dens don't just make themselves you know.:thumbup1:

Last edited:
Now really what if I bought a flexball and liked it? That would be a disaster. All this good stuff I have would just go to waste!:001_rolle

I'm more interested in exploring this idea! I'm going to assume:

Ginger = Carts and goo (faster, easier, but with a lot of pull)
Maryann = Classic wet-shaving (slower, more skill needed, higher quality, lasts longer and more traditional):blink:

Peace, Gentlemen!

It don't work that way for me. Cartridges, at least the right ones, work best for me. I still love my brushes and mugs though. It's the canned goo that turns me off. I nick myself nearly every day with DE and did for years when that is all that was available, and I always had a 5 o'clock shadow so I needed a second shave if I was going out for the evening. That's all in the past with cartridges. YMMV and that's fine with me. Use what works for you.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
No thanks. Even if the shave quality was the same or I could get a close comfortable shave in less time I would never go back to paying for carts. My blades cost me 10-20 cents per blade and I always get 5-7 shaves on any blade.

Several years ago, I purchased a lifetime supply of Wilkinson Sword Trac II carts that were being discontinued from Walmart. I bought 22 packs of 10 carts for .50 cents a pack. That's 220 carts for .05 cents a cart. I only ever use my vintage Trac II handle when traveling or on extremely lazy days, so the carts will last me. I really enjoy the shaves with my Trac II as much as I do with my DE's SE's and Straights. They are all great shaves. Different shaves, but all great in their own way.

$Haul.jpg

Rob, if I had come across that deal on Wilkinson carts, I probably would have never tried DE razors and wet shaving. That's less than a Derby blade!

Top Bottom