What's new

DE Rookie Checking In From Alabama

Howdy gang! After lurking around the forum for months and reading every single thing I could before taking the wet shaving plunge, I've decided that it's time to join up and say hello. I guess it'd be appropriate to tell you a little bit about myself, right? I'm a 32 year old guy who's been shaving with disposables and cartridges for 18 years or so. My skin hated the old Bic single blade disposables and Barbasol shaving cream of my youth so I sought out a better way when I got to college. First it was Sensors, then Mach 3s, then Fusions. There were battery powered models, enhanced lubricating strips, and dozens of different foams and gels designed to harness the power of technology in the name of the ultimate shave. Suffice it to say that, while some of the options listed were better than others, none of them overcame the issues of cost and comfort that have made shaving an absolute chore since the day it also became an absolute necessity. That's what brought me here, really. After a whole lot of research and consideration, I decided that all of that shaving "technology" might be the problem rather than the solution. I'm hopeful that this new undertaking will not only provide me with a superior shave (after a good bit of learning, no doubt), but also a genuine enjoyment of shaving like so many of you seem to demonstrate. I'll be honest and say that the package I received today from the good people at West Coast Shaving (what I'm lovingly referring to as my starter kit) is enough to at least get me excited by the prospect of shaving for the first time since, well, the first time. Anyway, I suppose that's enough for now. I'll detail the shiny new contents of my first real shave den below for those of you who might be interested. I look forward to talking with and learning from you guys as time goes by. Thanks so much for all you've already taught me just by carrying on a conversation. Take care, and Roll Tide!

The Razor: Edwin Jagger DE89BA11 Barley Chrome
The Brush: Simpson Berkeley 46B (Best Badger)
The Cream: Geo. F. Trumper Coconut Oil Shaving Cream
The Blades: Assorted Derbys, Feathers, Personnas, Astras, and the like
Accessories: An Omega 226 stand, a 10x magnification mirror for checking out the tight spots, my grandfather's WWII-era Old Spice shaving mug, and enough styptic pens to stop a sizable head wound

Last edited:
Hey Wsteineker: Welcome to B&B. You got a great kit that any newbie or veteran would love. Enjoy your DE journey.

WARHAWK

:biggrin1:It's great to welcome another Alabamian to the forum. I'm about a year and half in and still learning. Enjoy the journey.

Welcome and enjoy the ride! It only gets better. That is indeed a great starter kit you have there! Congrats.

I'm a student at UGA, so I can't quite agree with you - Go Dawgs!

But, glad to have you here. I'm new as well and I have learned so much information from everyone here, it's just a great community.

Top Bottom