What's new

DE razors: early US companies?

STAR I've got one had it since the 60's use it everyday and it was old then just never used.

Can you post a pic of it? I love seeing old razors that have been in service for decades. So many of the newer razors just last a few years when I'm regular use.

It was my Dad's spare I think he got in the 40's or 50's he just never needed to use it.

Attachments

• 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 43
  • 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 43
  • 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 36
It was my Dad's spare I think he got in the 40's or 50's he just never needed to use it.

that's awesome. Thanks for posting. That razor looks just like a Gillette fat handle tech though? I've not ever seen a star so may be they are similar.

IDK That's the case it came in and it was new. There's nothing on the razor but the case is a Star,and there was a pack of Star blades in the case with it. He never said anything about changing the razor out but why would he even if he did? I've been using it way over 50 years and it works great.

I wouldn't call the Star DE razor an early USA made DE since they came out in the 40s.

Gillette had an exclusive on the 3pc DE and blades in the US because of patent protection between 1903? (whenever they first came to market) until about 1926/27 when the patents exclusivity expired. One of the earliest ones I know of was the Roller guard razor and replacement roller guard for Gillette old types that came out in 1927. The next major ones are the Probak which was made by Autostrop and the Segal razor made by the Segal lock and hardware company which came out in 1930. Then after that you had Swee-do and Cooper that both came out with similar style 3pc open comb razors that used a proprietary blade in 1932.

I am sure I am missing others but those are the ones that I know of for sure that qualify as early made and/or sold in the US after the Gillette DE razors.

IDK That's the case it came in and it was new. There's nothing on the razor but the case is a Star,and there was a pack of Star blades in the case with it. He never said anything about changing the razor out but why would he even if he did? I've been using it way over 50 years and it works great.

No big deal. I was just pointing out it looks a lot like a Gillette tech.

Sure wish I had a de razor of my late father's. You are very lucky in that regard.

One other razor maker I forgot to mention is Conrad which first came out with it's own branded razor in 1932. They are better known for other razors they made for other companies, specifically the Barbasol safety razor which was introduced in 1933. The First Barbasol was a 2pc with an open comb unlike the more well known later floating head models. The 2pc with an open comb was in 1933/34 and the next iteration was the 3pc with the bakelite handles from 1934 - 1936/37 then the well known 2pc floating and non floating head models appear. They also made another fairly well known 3pc called the Clix razor that first came out in 1936.

Last edited:
The 'King Occilating Razor' is an American razor l think... There is one up for sale on the 'Bay now if you want to see pictures of one.
It is a British design and made razor, the actual name of the the razor was the redox rolling razor. They first came out in 1934. The King oscillating razor which is American made was a copy of that razor that came out in 1946.

Last edited:
that's awesome. Thanks for posting. That razor looks just like a Gillette fat handle tech though? I've not ever seen a star so may be they are similar.

That is because it is a Gillette fat handle tech.

This is what a Star DE razor looks like.

That's interesting. I just always assumed it was a Star. It fits the case perfectly.

Last edited:
Your right.I'll be damned it does. That is so small I had to put reading glasses on to see it. A small Gillette logo on one side and looks like Made in USA on the other. Well anyway it's a good razor. Kinda like finding out the the woman you married has a different name.:biggrin1:

Your right.I'll be damned it does. That is so small I had to put reading glasses on to see it. A small Gillette logo on one side and looks like Made in USA on the other. Well anyway it's a good razor. Kinda like finding out the the woman you married has a different name.:biggrin1:

You should probably be glad. My understanding is that all of most of the Star razors had zamak too caps. If you've been using that razor regularly for that long it's likely that cap would have corroded away by now. No such worries with a solid brass vintage Gillette like you tech is.

Clark pat in 1910 it is a DE but the razor doesn't have a top cap.The blade has self supporting written on it and it is held in place by a clip on one end and the blade slot is held at the other end by a raised knob .To load the blade you slip the widened center slot over the raised knob and slide it back toward the clip,there is a second lower alignment knob by the clip.First time I've seen a DE without a top cap to hold and align the blade, the base plate has a cutout to facilitate the blade change.

Glenn

$image.jpg

$image.jpg

Attachments

Clark pat in 1910 it is a DE but the razor doesn't have a top cap.The blade has self supporting written on it and it is held in place by a clip on one end and the blade slot is held at the other end by a raised knob .To load the blade you slip the widened center slot over the raised knob and slide it back toward the clip,there is a second lower alignment knob by the clip.First time I've seen a DE without a top cap to hold and align the blade, the base plate has a cutout to facilitate the blade change.

Glenn

$image.jpg

$image.jpg

Attachments
Never seen that one before. I don't know how they skirted the patents but apparently they did. I did some research and found they produced them from 1909 through about 1917 but produced blades that worked with all razors of the same time period up until the mid to late 30s.

Glenn

$image.jpg

$image.jpg

Attachments
Figure you might find this of interest and possibly useful.
clarkad.jpg

Top Bottom