What's new

DE Blade Alignment

With most DE razors in my stable, blade alignment is automatic. When I put a blade in the razor and tighten the head, the blade always has an even exposure on each side, at least as far as my eyes and my face can tell. Two of the razors in my stable, a Gillette Old Type and a Gillette New Improved, are not that way. The fit between the blades and the alignment pins of the razor is a bit sloppy, and as often as not the blade alignment comes out uneven unless I pay close attention to getting it just right. I understand from what I have read here on B&B that some modern razors (such as the Fatip family of razors) have the same issue.

So far my response has been to completely avoid razors with loose/sloppy blade alignment. I just don't want to be bothered. Yet I note that there are those who are enthusiastic about these razors despite their alignment issues. Apparently their owner/operators don't mind spending the extra time to align their blades manually.

So, what is the general feeling: Is it worth dealing with razors that require manual blade alignment? Or am I the only one who avoids such razors?

How much extra time is it really? Less than 30 seconds to enjoy a nice 15+ minute shave? I wouldn’t mind the time personally, the enjoyment would worth it.

The bottom line is though, if you aren’t having fun with it, don’t bother! No judgements here...YMMV!

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
I have several of the modern razors where folk have reported alignment issues. I put the razor blade on the cap, the base plate on and tighten the handle snug. Never found any alignment issues. This includes the FaTip Grande & Piccolo, RR Old Type, Merkur of many types, RR Tech2 (Baili) and maybe others.

I do mostly use name brand blades though and maybe the blades I use are more consistent.

The reason the Gillette Old Type and the Gillette New Improved have a slightly sloppy alignment, I suggest, is because they were made for the old thicker 3 hole blades.

But to answer your question, absolutely if you like those razors it's a good investment of 15 seconds once a week or so to massage the alignment to perfection. Once aligned there's no need to loosen the head to facilitate drying between shaves, either. I know the old instructions often say that, but that was when there were carbon blades that were more prone to rust and deterioration from moisture.

Is it worth dealing with razors that require manual blade alignment? Or am I the only one who avoids such razors?
It takes about 10 seconds to complete alignment before finally tightening the handle so a tiny part of the shave time. It is something you get used to.
I am sure there are a few that share your sentiments on the issue.

Even with my Fatip Grande, if I load the blade correctly, it usually lines up perfectly on the first try.

Self Aligning Blade Loading Method: I put the top cap upside down on the sink, "drop" the razor blade onto the posts, gently put the bottom cap on, screw in the handle while everything is still upside down, and then check for alignment. It doesn't take any longer to do it this way than loading a blade in my palm, and two out of 3 times the blade is aligned.

Since I change razor blades every 30-50 shaves, I feel like 30 extra seconds every 3 months is a small price to pay for the smoothest, most efficient razor in my stable (Fatip Grande).

If it annoys you though, there are plenty of great razors out there that don't need manual alignment. We really have an amazing number of razors to choose from these days; it's a good time to be a DE shaver!

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Even with my Fatip Grande, if I load the blade correctly, it usually lines up perfectly on the first try.

Self Aligning Blade Loading Method: I put the top cap upside down on the sink, "drop" the razor blade onto the posts, gently put the bottom cap on, screw in the handle while everything is still upside down, and then check for alignment. It doesn't take any longer to do it this way than loading a blade in my palm, and two out of 3 times the blade is aligned.

Since I change razor blades every 30-50 shaves, I feel like 30 extra seconds every 3 months is a small price to pay for the smoothest, most efficient razor in my stable (Fatip Grande).

If it annoys you though, there are plenty of great razors out there that don't need manual alignment. We really have an amazing number of razors to choose from these days; it's a good time to be a DE shaver!
Spot on.

If I'm happy wth the way the razor shaves then a few seconds of tinkering to get the alignment correct is well worth it.

I agree with those above.... it's worth the 10 seconds to align the blade properly. There are some razors that are a dream to shave with that have loose tolerances but I find that a couple of seconds to align the blade is well worth the result.

Some of my most enjoyable razors do not auto align the blade, but that's OK. Life does not need to be lived in the passing lane only.

Speed is not the issue. Am I the only one who thinks that sloppy alignment is a negative when evaluating the quality of a razor? All else equal (and it never is), I would rather shave with a higher quality razor than with a lower quality razor. But apparently many people feel that this is a minor defect, outweighed in some (most?) cases by other attributes of the razor. Another case of YMMV.

Speed is not the issue. Am I the only one who thinks that sloppy alignment is a negative when evaluating the quality of a razor? All else equal (and it never is), I would rather shave with a higher quality razor than with a lower quality razor. But apparently many people feel that this is a minor defect, outweighed in some (most?) cases by other attributes of the razor. Another case of YMMV.

Maybe I missed your point Chuck, sorry if that is the case.

My reply is based on the 80 and 90 year old razors that I use and enjoy that were made for different style blades. I have to fiddle with alignment a little and some shave better for me with a shim added as the blade ages. But that is me and the way I enjoy this hobby. But one of the great things about all this is that there is no "one way to enjoy" in the wonderful world of shaving.

I get your exactness goal in a shaving tool. Follow your dream and enjoy the journey.

So, what is the general feeling: Is it worth dealing with razors that require manual blade alignment? Or am I the only one who avoids such razors?

Judging from the responses, apparently I *am* the only one who avoids such razors! :blink: So I decided that perhaps I should re-think my position. In post #7 @Dovo1695 gave a method for quick alignment. In other threads I have seen variations on that method. The following is his method combined with the others I have seen:

1. Place top cap upside down on a towel.
2. Drop the razor blade on the posts.
3. Carefully place the base plate on the posts.
4. While using the fingers of one hand to hold the top cap down by pressing on the posts, gently screw the handle on using the other hand.

In my observations, most of the alignment problems occurred while tightening the handle. Step #4 above seems to avoid that problem. So I guess I don't need to avoid such razors any longer. Thanks, B&B! :badger:

+1

I've found I get good results using a Q Tip, during those times when I need a little blade alignment. Loosen the razor handle just enough so the blade is lightly held, but not snug. Then use the Q Tip to push the lightly held blade as needed, before finally snugging the handle down to clamp it in place.

My pre-shave routine involves a hot shower, so I always set a Q-Tip out as a matter of habit, to clean & dry my ears. It now has a second use.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
If I notice I've put the blade in at an angle, I just think of it as a "poor man's slant" and keep shaving. :001_tongu

Blade quality has something to do with it. If I get more exposure on one side than the other it's a "5" on the left and a "7" on the right.

AA

I also don't mind spending a few seconds to get the alignment correct. For me one key is to have a razor that maintains the blade rigidly once it is aligned properly!

Top Bottom