What's new

Dawn Soap + Ultrasonic Cleaner: A New Fix

A few years ago I bought on eBay and GEM 1912 razor. The head on the razor would never stay open, i.e., it would snap shut. I would have to use a finger to keep the head open. Also, I have a Red Tip razor that is difficult to open and when I exert a lot of pressure to open it, it makes a squeaking noise. I tried cleaning the razors with a toothbrush and Scrubbing Bubbles. I also tried using WD 40 and later sewing machine oil thinking that might loosen the razors. I also tried putting the razors in my ultrasonic cleaner to fix them. Nothing worked.

A few days ago my wife wanted some of her jewelry cleaned. I did not have any jewelry cleaner so I put a tablespoon of Dawn soap in the ultrasonic cleaner. I added the water, set the cleaner to hot, and set the time to four minutes. I put my wife's rings in the cleaner along with the 1912 and Red Tip. I then ran the cleaner again for two minutes but with fresh water in it.

My wife's jewelry sparkled more than it did when I used jewelry cleaner. And, the 1912 and Red Tip now work flawlessly. The head of the 1912 razor now stays open and the Red Tip opens and closes without any effort and makes no noises.

Very interesting! Would you mind sharing which cleaner you have?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Having RAD, I purchased an ultrasonic cleaner and just water and Dawn does wonders on even the worst looking razors after a quick scrub with a toothbrush in a Dawn bath of hot water. Haven't tried it yet on my wife's jewelry.

Very interesting! Would you mind sharing which cleaner you have?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

I bought mine from Harbor Freight some time ago.

upload_2019-5-23_17-0-27.png

A few years ago I bought on eBay and GEM 1912 razor. The head on the razor would never stay open, i.e., it would snap shut. I would have to use a finger to keep the head open. Also, I have a Red Tip razor that is difficult to open and when I exert a lot of pressure to open it, it makes a squeaking noise. I tried cleaning the razors with a toothbrush and Scrubbing Bubbles. I also tried using WD 40 and later sewing machine oil thinking that might loosen the razors. I also tried putting the razors in my ultrasonic cleaner to fix them. Nothing worked.

A few days ago my wife wanted some of her jewelry cleaned. I did not have any jewelry cleaner so I put a tablespoon of Dawn soap in the ultrasonic cleaner. I added the water, set the cleaner to hot, and set the time to four minutes. I put my wife's rings in the cleaner along with the 1912 and Red Tip. I then ran the cleaner again for two minutes but with fresh water in it.

My wife's jewelry sparkled more than it did when I used jewelry cleaner. And, the 1912 and Red Tip now work flawlessly. The head of the 1912 razor now stays open and the Red Tip opens and closes without any effort and makes no noises.

Great concept!! :a14::a14:

Top Bottom