What's new

Dave's New Shaver's Journal

No reason to not to learn to hone for yourself. If you send your razors out to get honed it doesn't take long before you already spent enough to buy the honing supplies needed to do it yourself. Believe me, there's no deep dark magic in learning to hone a razor.

I absolutely do want to learn to hone my own razors, I look at it as part of the fun. I just want to make sure that I am going to stick with straight shaving. I can't see why I wouldn't stick with it, I have loved DE shaving since the first time I tried it!
So Rick, do you use a coticule only, no other stones at all, or do you finish on a coticule? I was trying to find some on the net yesterday, do you have somewhere you suggest? I saw the Belgian yellow and blue, and a combination of the two. And then I would need a slurry stone I am assuming. Anything I am forgetting? Could you set a bevel on a straight using a coticule, like if I was to buy a razor that was not shave ready?
Thanks for all the help guys!

No Dave, I set the bevel on a DMT 1200 then go to the Coti. I have set the bevel on the Coti so it is doable, for sure. I use the Coti as finisher some times and a Jnat the rest. The razor I did for you was done on a Coti, I feel it's a great edge for a beginner as it is a very keen but yet a very comfortable edge.

The best place to buy a Coti is TSS. Yes a slurry stone will be needed with the Coti.

No Dave, I set the bevel on a DMT 1200 then go to the Coti. I have set the bevel on the Coti so it is doable, for sure. I use the Coti as finisher some times and a Jnat the rest. The razor I did for you was done on a Coti, I feel it's a great edge for a beginner as it is a very keen but yet a very comfortable edge.

The best place to buy a Coti is TSS. Yes a slurry stone will be needed with the Coti.

Thanks Rick. That is the exact site I found yesterday.

Fifth shave in this morning. Today I went with 2 WTG passes, and skipped the DE. Not the closest shave, but presentable nonetheless. No cuts, but a bit of rash/burn on my neck. No big deal though. I am still a little uncomfortable above my lip in the mustache area. A couple more days of 2 WTG and maybe I will add an XTG to get smoother.

My second razor came today. It is a beauty. Can't wait to try it tomorrow!

Attachments

• $Straight.JPG
    $Straight.JPG
    139.8 KB · Views: 40
Skipped shaving yesterday because of time constraints, but, I usually don't shave on the weekend anyway.

Had my sixth shave today, and the results continue to improve! Used my new straight, and did 2 WTG passes. I ended up with a good shave! My cheeks are very smooth, my neck could use a bit more work. I thought I came away unscathed, but, after everything was said and done, I ended up with one of those superficial scratches. It didn't bleed or anything, I didn't even know it happened.

I notice that my skin stretching technique is getting better, and I am learning how to more effectively use the different ends (is it tip and toe?) of the razor. Even stropping is getting better, but you should see my poor man's strop :ohmy: it has nicks and cuts all over it, my Filly strop still looks good, probably only because it came a couple days later.

Everything has gone well considering how scared I was when I felt the straight on my face for the first time. I guess it can only get better! This week I am going to add an XTG and hope to be able to get my neck and chin a bit closer.

Thanks everyone!

Well today I added an XTG pass after 2 WTG passes. Got a great shave! Still could be closer, but I am not complaining. I also ordered my first Coticule from Jarrod at The Superior Shave. Very easy to work with him, answer a few questions and he recommends a couple of stones. Now I may need another razor or two...
Thanks for all the help guys! I really appreciate it!

Thanks Rick. So after you use the coti, do you strop on linen? I did eventually want a good strop, I have been looking at one from Tony Miller with linen. What does the linen do?

I did, I used a Tony Miller with real linen and horsehide. I'm not real sure exactly what the linen does BUT it does up the keenness from the coti big time.

Today I did not have that great a shave... I don't know what happened. I used the Geneva Cutlery straight, and after using the Superba for a couple of days, the edge on the Geneva felt different. I did 2 WTG passes and ended up with a couple of nicks, and one of those dam scratches. Oh well, tomorrow is another day.
In addition to my coticule being on the way, tracking number says it should be delivered tomorrow, I also have a Tony Miller strop on order. Tony says it should ship by next Tuesday or so. 2 1/2" Steerhide with the genuine linen. I also signed up for Larry at whippeddog.com's honing lessons. He is shipping me razors today to start learning how to hone. That seems to be a very cool thing that Larry does. Sends dull razors, lets you try to learn to hone them, and you ship them back and he inspects them and gives feedback. Very cool! Larry said I would not be able to fix any chips or cracks with the coticule, I did want to pick up a coarser stone, any recommendations that I should look at for those situations?

It could be the edge on the Geneva is compromised. If I read correctly you say you nicked your strop up pretty good; that alone takes a toll on an edge. That and learning to strop can really do a number on a razor.

Did not think of that, but it makes sense. It did not feel dull, pulling or tugging. If my coticle gets here tomorrow, maybe I will give it a few swipes.

So I am sure that some of you saw my post in the BST that I decided to withdraw. I was not planning on giving up on straight shaving, I just thought that shaving with a straight once or twice a week did not warrant having some of the expensive items. The coticule and the tony miller strop. But not even a half hour after posting, I was wondering why the heck I was going to sell that stuff.
I still love shaving with my DE's, and have only been using my straights once or twice a week. That doesn't mean I can't have a nice strop and a coti!
I didn't shave this morning so I think I am going to shower and shave with the Superba tonight that I almost foolishly sold!

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
So I am sure that some of you saw my post in the BST that I decided to withdraw. I was not planning on giving up on straight shaving, I just thought that shaving with a straight once or twice a week did not warrant having some of the expensive items. The coticule and the tony miller strop. But not even a half hour after posting, I was wondering why the heck I was going to sell that stuff.
I still love shaving with my DE's, and have only been using my straights once or twice a week. That doesn't mean I can't have a nice strop and a coti!
I didn't shave this morning so I think I am going to shower and shave with the Superba tonight that I almost foolishly sold!

That's how I started, it took me many many weeks before I switch to full time straight shaving but once I did... I didn't go back...

Top Bottom