What's new

Dating a Gillette New Red & Black set?

I found this beautiful Red & Black set today. It looks brand new to me. I've read they do not
have serial numbers but this razor has a number on it 17567. I'm not sure what the number relates
to though?
IMG_3311.jpg
IMG_3313.JPG
IMG_3312.JPG
IMG_3314.jpg

I found this beautiful Red & Black set today. It looks brand new to me. I've read they do not
have serial numbers but this razor has a number on it 17567. I'm not sure what the number relates
to though? View attachment 1583872View attachment 1583873View attachment 1583874View attachment 1583875
17567 is a re-issued Patent No.
The New's had several Patent Numbers on the baseplate, due partly to the 'patent wars' of 1930-2 that Gillette was involved in.
proxy.php

We are in the no date code Gillette period, except for blades. The Red and Black sets came out first in 1934.

17567 is a re-issued Patent No.
The New's had several Patent Numbers on the baseplate, due partly to the 'patent wars' of 1930-2 that Gillette was involved in.
proxy.php

We are in the no date code Gillette period, except for blades. The Red and Black sets came out first in 1934.
Thanks for the info. 49 cents back then would equate to a little over 10 bucks in todays money so it was a steal at that price back then

That’s a GORGEOUS short comb New! Congrats. IMHO, Gillette made many fantastic razors, but none any better.
Gorgeous razor. Thanks for preserving a bit of American manufacturing history. I'm guessing that the low prices for razors in the 1930s and 1940s were loss leaders to get people to buy the razors and then buy blades for years. The big money for Gillette and others always was in selling blades.

Top Bottom