What's new

Darn Tough Socks?

I'm in need of some new "athletic" socks. To be honest, I'm not an overly athletic person, but not sure what else to call them. Anyway, I typically get the big bag o' Hanes and call it a day. BUT, I have 2 pair of "running socks" I picked up many moons ago when I thought running was a good idea. Those same socks are with me today, and show no signs of damage. I do wear them frequently, as they are very comfortable. Of course, despite having the name on the toes (Zulu), I cannot locate the same socks anywhere.

I've heard of the "Darn Tough" socks with their lifetime guarantee. Of course, they are quite pricey too. Has anyone actually used these and can verify the guarantee/durability of the socks? Or any experience with something perhaps similar where socks aren't wearing out so quickly?

If it matters, I typically wear the socks out under the ball of my feet. This is not a "trim your toenails more often" situation. :)

Of course, despite having the name on the toes (Zulu), I cannot locate the same socks anywhere.

Are these zulu by balega? I was Just looking at this company on a sock site to replace my own socks recently.

i have no specific darn tough experience, though.

I’ve been using some stance feel360s for my running/jogging. I’d consider myself a heavy guy (getting less heavy over time though) and the basic crew socks all wear at the ball and heel over time.

I do have four pair of the Darn Tough socks. Two pair I reserve for backpacking, one to wear and one to carry. I take maybe two week-long trips per year. Maybe a couple more shorter trips. The other two pair I use for day hikes, maybe once a week about 7 miles. They all seem to be holding up fine. I'm thinking this has been something like four years. I don't think I'll use the guarantee.

For daily use during the summer I've been using low cut black cotton Reebok socks that came in something like a six-pack that I got at Ross. They are comfortable and cost-effective. In the winter I've been wearing some plain wool socks that I got at a really good price at something like a rummage sale. They're comfortable, but seem to be wearing quickly. I think that the nylon in the Darn Tough socks might be what keeps them from wearing quickly.

Are these zulu by balega? I was Just looking at this company on a sock site to replace my own socks recently...
Could be...I'll try to check the logo and let you know. The style is a little different, but it was like 5-6 years ago EASY. One thing to caution...I never ran a ton. 5k maybe 3-5x a week for a few years. Now they're really just worn as a regular sock. But they've held up great.

Thorlo's were my go-to brand for 30 years. I just tried a line from Duluth Trading, Copper Merino Wool & the CMW Compression; which seem to be pretty good so far. Nowhere near as much experience/wear & tear time yet, but 'good.'

I have Darn Tough socks for backpacking and some day hiking (depending on distance and terrain). Been using them for several years and many miles and they are fine. I also have a couple of their "lifestyle" socks which are their everyday wear socks and they are super comfortable. Highly recommended. I have also used Smartwool and they are very good, too.

I like Thor-lo socks as well. Used them for racquetball. Long lasting, but more important, extra padding and specialized knit in key areas where needed.

Price is no object-Darn Tough or Smartwool- Sierra Trading Post sometimes has them on sale. 10-20 per pair
I look for 70% + Merino Wool.

Far exceeding the intersection of quality/value-Kirkland Brand (Costco) Wool Hiking socks.
Used them for a training and Philmont Trip. 100+ miles on the trail over 10.5 days. NO hot Spots, NO blisters for myself and son. 20ish for six pair (3.50ish per pair)

I’ve got some darn toughs. I only wear wool blend socks, and look for High wool count in them. I have some hikers that are 49 or 51% merino and the rest man made materials. There’s not enough wool in them for me, but they are durable. My others are ankle night athletic types that are fine. smartwool’s aren’t as durable as Darn Toughs and will wear out, but I prefer to 70-90% wool, merino preferably. I’m ok with having to replace them as they wear out. I’ve bought several sets Costco hikers above and I’m convinced they are made by smart wool, with just slightly different patterning. At $3-4/pair, they’re the best bargain going.

lots of serious hikers like Darn Toughs, and they seem to honor their lifetime guarantee.

I've got about thirty pairs of assorted Darn Tough Socks, from very thin merino wool running to heavier mountaineering boot socks. Had my first lifetime guarantee experience this summer, they replaced two pairs of ultra thin merino wool running socks due to tears in the sole portion. Very satisfied with their guarantee. No other holes or tears in any of the other socks after many years. Good company.

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
I've tried the Darn Tough brand in two styles - thin ones for walking, and some thicker crew socks. The running/walking shorties do not hold up very well, compared to the Wigwams that have been discontinued. I have in rotation Wigwam Ironmen that are easily 10 years old, the DT brand wore through in less than a year.

I really like Darn Tough socks. For sport my favorites are Kentwool. They're supposed to be a golf sock, but I work out in them as well as play 18 and they are comfy and long lasting. Unfortunately also pricey, but they do have regular sales.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I got some nice socks on the 'Bay a few months back. Made in the Carolinas somewhere. Seems like they were 71% merino wool.

They replaced some other ones that I slept in that finally wore out in the heels.
Wool is amazing for my pain control as well. I sleep on a wool "undercomforter" and have for years. NOT CHEAP, lol, but probably kept me working another 5 years.

JWCowboy

Probably not Al Bundy
I'm an avid runner and have a couple of pairs of Darn Tough's running socks in my rotation. As most everyone in this thread have already said, they are outstanding. While they are a tad expensive, they are made in the good old US of A (Green Mountain state) Another excellent athletic/running sock is Swiftwick, made in the Volunteer state of my birth, that wild place yonder west across these here mountains I now call home.

Last edited:
I'm a wool devotee when it comes to socks, especially the ones I use when mountain hiking, which I've done probably every week on average over several decades. In that time I have tried out just about every major brand going, including Wigwam, Fox River, Smartwool, Thorlo, Teko and Bridgedale. Of these, I found the Smartwool ones to be most comfortable until I tried some Darn Tough ones a few years ago and these have now taken over my sock drawer. They're comfortable, very well made (no loose threads or strands of elastic perishing) and durable. They're expensive, particularly here in the UK, but worth it.

Top Bottom