What's new

Danish vintage razor Raadvad - how to realign...?

Took pics of the baseplate itself, both sides. Think I need to correct what I said before - they are not entirely identical it seems?

IMG_0132.JPG
IMG_0133.JPG

Well, have some splendid news. I spoke with CAP and he has kindly offered to straighten it out for me. He agrees that this razor was not meant to be curved (because then the cap would be curved too). He was quite thrilled actually to take it on as he has never worked on this Danish type before, and since he is quite convinced it is brass (has verdigris on it) so repairing it is doable.

Happy days.

Hello, I´m totally new to this forum :)

I have had my grandfathers old vintage razor for many years, filled with rust and goo, but today I cleaned it up and gave it a good overhaul. The result is pretty good ( I´ll post some pics this weekend ).
I found this page when I try to look for the brand. The surprising thing is, my razor is also a Raadvad mejeskaer, and it has the completely same angles on both sides. The one side has a different curve than the other??
I´m very interested in finding out more history about this kind of razor.

/Michael

Cap is working with it at the moment, he has cleaned it up beautifully (see pic) and is currently getting it straight! -nice looking, huh!

IMG_7693.JPG
IMG_7694.JPG

Last edited:
Hello, I´m totally new to this forum :)

I have had my grandfathers old vintage razor for many years, filled with rust and goo, but today I cleaned it up and gave it a good overhaul. The result is pretty good ( I´ll post some pics this weekend ).
I found this page when I try to look for the brand. The surprising thing is, my razor is also a Raadvad mejeskaer, and it has the completely same angles on both sides. The one side has a different curve than the other??
I´m very interested in finding out more history about this kind of razor.

/Michael

Wow?! I'll let Cap know, probably it may still be a woman's shaver, then!?

Have you tried shaving with it like this (I haven't), and/or do you know if your granddad did?

And besides - Very nice to meet another Dane in here! This is the best of shaver forums with the nicest and most knowledgable folks you can imagine - Welcome, Michael!

Thanks,
Peter

Last edited:
P6170480.jpg
P6170483.jpg
P6170484.jpg
P6170486.jpg
Thank you for the nice welcome :) Yes it is the best shaver forum.

I don´t Think it is a lady shaver? I found another article on the web that it was from 1939, and I don´t Think they made shavers specific for woman in Denmark at that time? But I could be wrong.

Here are the pictures I promised Yesterday

I have just finishen a shave with it, it performs very well, but very agressive if you are not careful :)

Wow, that is stunning, very beautiful indeed. Interesting that you could actually shave with it. Let's see what Cap Murphy does to mine. Thanks for sharing.

Incidentally, very curious to know how you cleaned it up so well, very interested in learning your process!

Last edited:

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
Strictly WAG...but is it possible that it could be a top cap mismatch; where a standard and a slant cap got switched?

Hello

Regarding the restoration process, I started up with soaking the parts in hot water with washing soap. Afterwards I used tooth paste with whitener and a toothbrush for getting rid of all the gritty stuff, I soaked it in hot water again and then used something called autosol ( I have an old MC with lot´s of Chrome so I figured it could be used here AS well ).

About the sides, then yes the one side has this slant where the tooths drops evenly from one side to the other.
But the other side is different, is has more like a small curve. When I saw Northstonehills pictures it looked exactly like the curve mine has.
I´m 100% sure that the top hasn´t got mismatched since my grandfather only had two razors ( the other one is a Gillette ), and as far as I have read Raadvad only produced two different razors.

I Will try to write to Raadvad to see if I can get any knowledge from them, I´ll guess it´s one of the more uncommon mails they get to their customer service :)

/Michael

Top Bottom