What's new

Mad blind guy about to use a vintage Bakelite razor. Wish me luck

For those of you who don't know me from these forums, yes I am indeed totally blind, been at wet shaving for just over a year now. Also definitely, most certainly and completely mad!!

So a few days ago, my father inlaw handed me a Bakelite box with a vintage gillette razor inside and 2 packs of blades saying, I'm glad it's going to a good home, it's never been used. I have asked my poor long suffering wife and there appears to be no name on the razor, but I will do my best to describe it all by how it feels.

The Bakelite box is I gather quite standard, it has a little knub on the front which you push to open.
The razor is a 3 piece, but it opens strangely. You twist a knob on the bottom a bit like a 2 piece, then pull the bottom out of the hollo stem. This leaves the handle and base plate and you remove the cap a bit like a 2 piece.

The razor is open comb with a plastic feeling handle but metal for the core of the handle and the rest of the components. I'd guess it was brass maybe?

There are 2 packs of blades in here, 2 plastic open ended boxes full of my god!! the blades are so thick compared to blades of today. Honestly they feel like 3 or 4 blades stacked together. NO, I am not psychotic enough to try and use one of these, though they are all still in their paper wrapping.

I have loaded it with a new Astra SP which is my blade of choice, tabs stick out the sides like 2 little arms, mind the ears mind the ears!!

Tomorrow I will be taking my go to Torga boar brush, Executive Shaving oil, Trumpers Spanish leather cream, a custom made Steph Baxter mug and lots of hot water to try it out. I have no idea what is going to happen here.
I've given myself 2 days worth of growth which is usually safer for my tough thick beard. I've been using the Rex Konsul for the past few months which is IMHO the best razor for me personally I have ever used.

Did I mention my wife is an A&E doctor? wish me luck :)

Good luck brother!! 💈🖖🏼💈
Those Bakelite razors scare me a bit, and I can see ‘em coming! Curious about those old school blades. Were they all that thick once upon a time, or are those uniquely stout for some reason?

For those of you who don't know me from these forums, yes I am indeed totally blind, been at wet shaving for just over a year now. Also definitely, most certainly and completely mad!!

So a few days ago, my father inlaw handed me a Bakelite box with a vintage gillette razor inside and 2 packs of blades saying, I'm glad it's going to a good home, it's never been used. I have asked my poor long suffering wife and there appears to be no name on the razor, but I will do my best to describe it all by how it feels.

The Bakelite box is I gather quite standard, it has a little knub on the front which you push to open.
The razor is a 3 piece, but it opens strangely. You twist a knob on the bottom a bit like a 2 piece, then pull the bottom out of the hollo stem. This leaves the handle and base plate and you remove the cap a bit like a 2 piece.

The razor is open comb with a plastic feeling handle but metal for the core of the handle and the rest of the components. I'd guess it was brass maybe?

There are 2 packs of blades in here, 2 plastic open ended boxes full of my god!! the blades are so thick compared to blades of today. Honestly they feel like 3 or 4 blades stacked together. NO, I am not psychotic enough to try and use one of these, though they are all still in their paper wrapping.

I have loaded it with a new Astra SP which is my blade of choice, tabs stick out the sides like 2 little arms, mind the ears mind the ears!!

Tomorrow I will be taking my go to Torga boar brush, Executive Shaving oil, Trumpers Spanish leather cream, a custom made Steph Baxter mug and lots of hot water to try it out. I have no idea what is going to happen here.
I've given myself 2 days worth of growth which is usually safer for my tough thick beard. I've been using the Rex Konsul for the past few months which is IMHO the best razor for me personally I have ever used.

Did I mention my wife is an A&E doctor? wish me luck :)

Great planning on your part! Assuming you still can, please let us know the results.

Riiiight! so, all things considered, not a bad shave.

I started offWTG and whilst it was a bit tuggy, it was getting the hair off. Towards the end I realised the razor just wasn't cutting very close to the skin in fleshy areas like under my chin and throat.
ATG was a bit tricky. My cheecks were ok, but those same troublesom areas and along the jawline, the blade just wasn't picking up the hair or getting close enough to the skin. In fairness, this is a problem I have with all non-slant razors. I hav my Konsul set on max which I think is 6.5 as a daily driver and I've learned to use it that way. If I don't, little hairs get left behind or it requires more buffing than usual.

So after a while, I confess I switched back to the Konsul to finish off. The Bakelite had done an ok job, but my silly beard just refused to shift.
Using the Konsul once more made me appreciate just how friggin close that thing cuts and how smooth it is.

It was a fun experience and it's interesting feeling the way the Bakelite was constructed. Think I will stick to my slants for now though :)

Oh BTW my face is still attached... well mostly. No in all seriousness, no cuts at all.

Riiiight! so, all things considered, not a bad shave.

I started offWTG and whilst it was a bit tuggy, it was getting the hair off. Towards the end I realised the razor just wasn't cutting very close to the skin in fleshy areas like under my chin and throat.
ATG was a bit tricky. My cheecks were ok, but those same troublesom areas and along the jawline, the blade just wasn't picking up the hair or getting close enough to the skin. In fairness, this is a problem I have with all non-slant razors. I hav my Konsul set on max which I think is 6.5 as a daily driver and I've learned to use it that way. If I don't, little hairs get left behind or it requires more buffing than usual.

So after a while, I confess I switched back to the Konsul to finish off. The Bakelite had done an ok job, but my silly beard just refused to shift.
Using the Konsul once more made me appreciate just how friggin close that thing cuts and how smooth it is.

It was a fun experience and it's interesting feeling the way the Bakelite was constructed. Think I will stick to my slants for now though :)

Oh BTW my face is still attached... well mostly. No in all seriousness, no cuts at all.
Maybe it's the mass. Sounds like you do better with a heavier razor. The Bakelite just doesn't provide enough inertia to do the job.

I didn't think you would have any problem.

An individual, that is totally blind, that can describe something by feel and compose a flawless post, totally blows me away. Yes, one does create a sixth sense with this and other types of impairments, but it amazes me what individuals can overcome.
Well done, sir!

Top Bottom