What's new

Danish vintage razor Raadvad - how to realign...?

My mother (81 yrs and still going strong) dug this fine little razor out from somewhere. A Danish(!) made Raadvad 3-piece razor probably made sometime in the 20-50s? I did not even know that Raadvad (a renowned Danish knife and metal goods company of 150+ years) had ever made razors!

It was very rusty under the cap but cleaned up quite nicely (my first ever cleanup - vinegar, salt and flour, found this recipe online). But as you can see it is quite out of whack. Any suggestions on how to realign/get it straight again, is it possible at all?

IMG_1945.JPG
IMG_1946.JPG
IMG_1944.JPG
IMG_1947.JPG

Last edited:
I can't tell for sure, but it looks even. Strange as it may seem, the curvature may be a designed in feature. I've seen some older razors designed for shaving women's armpits that were smaller, but had a slight curve to the blade edge. Is it equally curved on both sides?

I can't tell for sure, but it looks even. Strange as it may seem, the curvature may be a designed in feature. I've seen some older razors designed for shaving women's armpits that were smaller, but had a slight curve to the blade edge. Is it equally curved on both sides?

Yes! - it is curved equally on both sides! - You may be right, I will check with my mother on the details.

Edit: I found a website describing that the company started making razors in 1928 and made this razor (coined The "Major") for the next 30-40 years, with great success and supposedly dominating the Danish market during this time period. The website shows an identical model to mine, listed as a 1939 model, but the pic shown does not show a curbed baseplate. The plot thickens.

Last edited:
I don't have a way to fix it, but it looks like the Base plate is bent or bowed, along the Axis that should be straight. Not sure what would cause that.

May not work as a face shaver, but a very cool collectible. Most of the curved base plate under arm razors I've seen in the past used specialized blades. How does a standard blade fit?

I've been curious about them as I have a hollow on my neck, underneath my ear, from a past surgery. Almost impossible to get shaved well with a standard de razor. I've shied away from purchasing because of specialized and unobtainable blades.

Looks like pretty good blade exposure on the ends! Interesting the the blade sits flat.
I'd give it a try just for giggles. Carefully of course.
:shaving:

Looks like pretty good blade exposure on the ends! Interesting the the blade sits flat.
I'd give it a try just for giggles. Carefully of course.
:shaving:

Thanks for your good comments, Hoka Hey! - But I think I need to muster up some more grit before I try this baby out :w00t:

Bending the metal to arch it like this would make the metal snap...A good heating with a blowtorch may (may) let you bend it like this...As for armpit shaving I would agree, but the brutal blade exposure on the ends leads me to say no to that theory...Very interesting razor , hope we can find out more !

Find the patent and if it needs straightening then contact the Capt. I know he straightened out an OT for someone in the past.

My guess is it used proprietary blades that fit the curve. Patent should show it.
Remember, Gillette made gobs of money on their blades.

Holy smokes I love that razor!!! That is a real beauty! :thumbsup:

If it was meant to be curved, the cap would be curved to match, and all of the curved ones I've seen was flat from front to back. I do not think it is meant to be curved in the way that it is. I think someone fumbled a few times during blade change and dropped it without the cap on it.

Send a message to;

Captain Murphy

Thanks, all, for your great and positive comments. Once again I am amazed by the knowledge and expertise here :thumbup1:

@TobyC: Thanks very much for the link to the pics in the other thread. The regular model pictured there obviously looks like mine, but mine does not have 'handy' engraved on the back (as stated in the other thread), but instead 'Mejeskaer' which is Danish and is (I think) the brand name of this model. Mejeskaer is an old Danish word also used many years ago for farming cutting equipment.

Great proposal to check with the Captain - he has just cleaned out a couple of Slims for me so let's see what he'll say!

More to follow!

Last edited:
Top Bottom