What's new

Damn it! The drycleaner ruined my favorite suit!

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
Did you ever read the back of the dry cleaning ticket. They have no liability for anything.
And that ticket holds zero legal sway as the dry cleaners have no signed contract indicating consent. All it's designed to do is dissuade angry customers from taking them to court.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
And that ticket holds zero legal sway as the dry cleaners have no signed contract indicating consent.

Unless you have used drycleaners before and presumably read (or could have done) the back side then.

Courts don't like defendants screwing claimants with excessive fine print ... and they don't like claimants playing dumb "golly yer 'onour, I never knew!"

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Good luck. Waste a day or more sitting in some small claims court. Never being able to establish negligence. Who is the expert to testify that the dry cleaner deviated from a standard of care in pressing a suit.
Plus that little ticket is a ticket to dismissal in many many states. It’s called tort reform. That means you can’t sue. Sorry Charlie.

Many years ago I thought my dry cleaner damaged a fairly new wool top coat. I complained and he wrote me a note he said there was some defective condition in the coat. He was a long standing cleaner in the community. I took the coat back to I think it was Macy’s. They actually called him. After the telephone discussion they gave me a new coat.

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
Update; I’m pleased to say crisis averted. My tailor was able to steam out the errant creases and didn’t even charge me for the service. Can’t ask for a better. If I am being super picky, I don’t think it looks quite back to original. But it’s good enough I’m the only one that would notice the difference. I feel better. No small claims court necessary. Lesson learned. I need to more mindful next time to give specific instructions not press the lapel.

Update; I’m pleased to say crisis averted. My tailor was able to steam out the errant creases and didn’t even charge me for the service. Can’t ask for a better. If I am being super picky, I don’t think it looks quite back to original. But it’s good enough I’m the only one that would notice the difference. I feel better. No small claims court necessary. Lesson learned. I need to more mindful next time to give specific instructions not press the lapel.

Glad to hear it worked out for you.

Personally, I'd never take a decent garment to a run of the mill dry cleaner. Generally with suits and jackets a good sponge and press will keep the piece in good nick. If you do have to have it cleaned I'd specify no pressing and either press yourself or take it to a menswear shop or tailor.

Fixing lapel roll issues are actually pretty easy at home if you are inclined. Just press the back side of lapel to take out any crease or roll, then reset the roll on the edge of a ironing board or sleeve board by laying the lapel back on the board with the jacket hanging over the side .

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
Glad to hear it worked out for you.

Personally, I'd never take a decent garment to a run of the mill dry cleaner. Generally with suits and jackets a good sponge and press will keep the piece in good nick. If you do have to have it cleaned I'd specify no pressing and either press yourself or take it to a menswear shop or tailor.

Fixing lapel roll issues are actually pretty easy at home if you are inclined. Just press the back side of lapel to take out any crease or roll, then reset the roll on the edge of a ironing board or sleeve board by laying the lapel back on the board with the jacket hanging over the side .
Good tip. Thanks. Yeah, lesson learned.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
Sorry for your troubles. I really wish I could say I'm shocked, but it's becoming a common story.

Say, haven't you been thinking about a new suit?

Hmm, hello from uk. I heard someone on tv last night say one should never take a good suit to a dry cleaners. I have no more info' as i can't remember who said it, or what the programme was for that matter. He may have been talking specifically about bespoke suits, as the process can alter the cut somewhat and the way it hangs. Not much use to the OP perhaps, but it may save someone a similar fate.

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
Glad it worked out.

Thankfully, my dry cleaner has never ruined/damaged any garments but over the last dozen or so years, a shirt or two did get lost and they asked for the value of the shirt and immediately credited my account.

As for your concern about venting this type of issue here, let’s face it.

You’ve come to the right place. :yesnod: :biggrin:

Glad everything worked out! After reading this thread I looked up the 3 roll 2 jacked and learned about it and it’s history. Very cool.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
Glad everything worked out! After reading this thread I looked up the 3 roll 2 jacked and learned about it and it’s history. Very cool.
The 3 roll 2 lapel is cool, but the thing that usually goes with it, the sack cut, is even cooler in my belief. A sack suit or jacket has no darting and, therefore, is less fitting. A typical sack suit would have no darting, natural shoulders, and arm holes that were not high or tight. it would be incredibly comfortable. This was the standard Brooks Brothers suit in the sixties and seventies and began to disappear in the mid-eighties. Today it cannot be found at Brooks in any of their ready to wear clothes. Southwick, which made many such jackets and suits, was a casualty of the Brooks Brothers bankruptcy. There are very few sources for sack jackets or suits with 3 roll 2 lapels. I found a 3 roll 2 sack suit, a properly sized OCBD, and a tie incredibly comfortable, but the new "wetsuit fit" understandably makes people want to wear sweats.

If your tailor cannot steam and fix it, small claims may be your only resort. Three roll two suitscare getting harder to find, especially with Southwick gone. Years ago a local cleaner did the same to me. i eventually fixed it with a rolled towel under the lapel, a pressing cloth, and a steam iron. You have my sincere sympathy.
I just tried a few 3/2 suits on at the Armory in NYC. The jackets are made by Ring (Hong Kong company I believe) especially for the Armory. Great look but VERY expensive (start at around $1500).
Don't see the 3/3 suits much anymore. Check out their website.

The 3 roll 2 lapel is cool, but the thing that usually goes with it, the sack cut, is even cooler in my belief. A sack suit or jacket has no darting and, therefore, is less fitting. A typical sack suit would have no darting, natural shoulders, and arm holes that were not high or tight. it would be incredibly comfortable. This was the standard Brooks Brothers suit in the sixties and seventies and began to disappear in the mid-eighties. Today it cannot be found at Brooks in any of their ready to wear clothes. Southwick, which made many such jackets and suits, was a casualty of the Brooks Brothers bankruptcy. There are very few sources for sack jackets or suits with 3 roll 2 lapels. I found a 3 roll 2 sack suit, a properly sized OCBD, and a tie incredibly comfortable, but the new "wetsuit fit" understandably makes people want to wear sweats.
Posted earlier about finding 3/2 suit at Armory in NYC but it is definitely not a sack suit. Got a distinctive cut that is almost a drape cut.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
I am set for suits, being retired, but were in the market for one I would go to O'Connell's for a MiUSA, fairly priced 3 roll 2 sack. The H. Freemans and the house brand are excellent. They still have a few Southwicks. I doubt I'd get to $1500 buying two suits!

Top Bottom