What's new

Damn it! The drycleaner ruined my favorite suit!

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
I'm so pissed right now, I can't even think straight :cursing:. The dry cleaner pressed the :censored: out my beautiful, gracefully rolled 3-roll-2 lapel and of course creased it on the 3rd button. So now it looks like a cheap 3-button reject from the 90's. I didn't tell them to press it, just dry clean it. ***?! Is it too much to expect someone who professionally deals with tailored clothes for living to know a little about suit jacket details. Shouldn't it be obvious that the lapel was rolled - not flattened - to the 2nd button on purpose? Gosh, I'm so irritated. Sorry to vent, but I had to get it off my chest. My wife doesn't get what the big deal is. I guess she never had an expensive dress creased all up the front in the wrong spot. (actually, she hasn't) Its not like its a super special one-off bespoke Savile Row suit or anything. But it was expensive for me. I can't just run out and buy a new one. Well, I guess I'll take it to the tailor tomorrow and see if he can steam it back to normal somehow. I just hope it isn't permanently damaged. Rant over. Hope everyone has a pleasant evening.

Tankerjohn, you have my complete sympathy. How irritating and frustrating. The temporary damage may ease out with a little time - you can always try the steaming it in the bathroom technique to get things moving. Bad service from an ostensible professional - perhaps more evidence of our civilization's slide into I-don't-know-what-to-call-it...

Legion

Staff member
Annoying for sure.

I just had a winter jacket dry cleaned. It had a brand label sewn on to the breast pocket, and after cleaning the label turned white. The print on the patch cleaned right off, leaving a white square in the middle of the chest. The cleaning instructions say "dry clean only", as well.

Luckily I don't really care about badges, so I just unpicked the patch and took it off, but I'd be pretty damn annoyed if I was having the jacket cleaned to sell, because it is not cheap.

That sucks, sorry to hear. It’s as annoying as when a car wash place puts a nice scratch on you hood. Hopefully it will roll back out with some wear, or could be steamed out? Perhaps ask a tailor for advice.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Ugh I too sympathize crap like that happens to me. The cleaner probably sends stuff out and the mill just presses everything. I had a dry cleaner press jeans once. Yup a heavy seam right down the front of the leg. Anyway hope someone can fix it up keep us posted maybe switch places. We’re lucky to have a few great tailors around. I had a vm from one yesterday they have my boxed laundered shirts from one year ago! Lol oops I’m going to get them today.

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
Thanks guys. I appreciate your similar stories, in a “misery loves company” kind of way. At the core, I’m really upset with myself for not being mindful enough to leave special instructions. I don’t dry clean this suit very often and I just wasn’t thinking about it. Ugh, lesson learned. Off the tailor today. Hopefully he can save it.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Sorry to hear about your suit, comrade. Take a deep breath, say a prayer and make a plan. I suspect you will be in the market for a new suit shortly.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
After calming down, I'd take the suit back to the cleaner and explain the problem and see if they can fix it. They can probably steam it and press it flat (ie unfolded) or whatever to get the hard crease out. Treat this not as your opportunity to yell at them and get this off your chest; treat this as your opportunity to create a positive working relationship with them where they know how to handle a 2-roll-3 suit and they are happy to see you come through the door with another one soon.

I'm so pissed right now, I can't even think straight :cursing:. The dry cleaner pressed the :censored: out my beautiful, gracefully rolled 3-roll-2 lapel and of course creased it on the 3rd button. So now it looks like a cheap 3-button reject from the 90's. I didn't tell them to press it, just dry clean it. ***?! Is it too much to expect someone who professionally deals with tailored clothes for living to know a little about suit jacket details. Shouldn't it be obvious that the lapel was rolled - not flattened - to the 2nd button on purpose?

My first thought is, "of course they are not going to know what a two-roll-three is". Most of the people working there are just there for the wage (minimum or otherwise) and not as their career. They know how to run the machines but for anyone who isn't "into suits" (which is almost everyone) they are not even going to know that this is an issue. Heck, if they saw you wearing one of your other 2-roll-3 suits, they'd probably think to themselves that the other dry cleaner fudged up the pressing of that suit jacket.

If you live in a big city there is probably a drycleaner or two who everybody in the know knows is good-to-go with 2-r-3 suits and such, and you can ask around about that. Smaller towns ... you are probably S.O.L. for that, and have to take your chances.

My wife doesn't get what the big deal is.

She represents the typical dry cleaner worker. Heck, she probably thinks the suit looks better this way than before.

LOL! I didn’t realize “Whiskey Tango Foxtrot” was a banned word.
1622925570987.png

You just have to slur your pronunciation, you sum-bidge.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
If your tailor cannot steam and fix it, small claims may be your only resort. Three roll two suitscare getting harder to find, especially with Southwick gone. Years ago a local cleaner did the same to me. i eventually fixed it with a rolled towel under the lapel, a pressing cloth, and a steam iron. You have my sincere sympathy.

I don’t know if dry cleaning differs in he US but here if you dry clean something, it’s getting pressed too.

The 3/2 is not a common garment outside of North America. I have one blazer which has this feature - I get them to press it the way I want and the roll is back within a wear or so. I would be very surprised if the garment is ruined.

You might want to consider the overall quality of your cleaner - I use one of the more expensive places in our city but I have never had a garment damaged. For the extra few dollars, it’s worth it.

Top Bottom