What's new

Damn Comfortable Shave

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
My lightbox was about $30 or something like that. It's definitely cheap, but it works. It is supposed to be a device you can take down and put up. It works much better put up and left up.

I think it was money well spent. At least I don't offend myself with my photographs.

Happy shaves,

Jim

As long as you are happy Jim, that's all that matters. So if the light box improves your pictures to your liking, that's awesome 👍

Eben Stone

Staff member
What is the requirement for damn comfortable shave? Zero irritation and skin looks and feels good? Or does it have to be better than that?

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
What is the requirement for damn comfortable shave? Zero irritation and skin looks and feels good? Or does it have to be better than that?

A Damn Comfortable Shave
  • Is comfortable during the shave.
  • Is comfortable immediately after the shave.
  • Is comfortable until the next shave.
The bar for comfort is high but I suppose that's entirely subjective.

I don't know anything about anybody else's skin. To me, irritated skin isn't comfortable and doesn't look good. My bottom line is comfort.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Tuesday my shave was good.

5-24-22.SV HMW.CanadaSS.Sailor.640.JPG

Today marks the 5th outing for my flipped Wizamet SI blade.

It was my 6th shave with the new Saponificio Varesino High Mountain White Manchuria.

Sailor settings were 2, 6, and the Zero Dot. The razor worked a treat as did the rest of my kit.

If you read as many reviews as you can find, reviews of this SV brush, what you'll find is somewhat mixed in the particulars, but generally laudatory. Many people have called it the perfectly balanced brush. Mostly they mean the knot I think. Many comments say some version of the same thing. This is a brush which is unique. Certainly it is a unique knot compared to any I've used.

I've read that the knot changes after the twelfth shave with it. What that means is a mystery.

It's soft, but not soft like a super soft three band silvertip. It's soft in the way you might wish your two band or Manchurian were. At the same time it has adequate scrub. The backbone is certainly not strong, but it's also not absent. The brush loads nicely even off of a very hard puck such as Canada Shaving Soap.

I wouldn't call the knot dense. I've read some reports saying it's dense, but they're comparing it with what? It's not dense, but it's also not at all skimpy.

Yes, it's a very big knot. Yes, it's a very heavy and brush with a tall handle.

Yes, I really like it. Apparently I like it a great deal.

It is a little bit gelled. That's judging by the slight crustiness when it dries. No it's not gelled much at all. Not a bad gel, as I see it. (I don't like gelled, and I like this knot.) Hopefully, the gel will go away and the softness and feel won't change except for the better. I'm not sure how much better it could get. Not much.

It's a very good knot.

Cube.Tube.Mysterium.640.1.-22.JPG

4-22.Capriccio.WithTop.640.JPG

I forgot to use shea butter last night. Actually I remembered but was too lazy to get out of bed to apply it. That was a mistake. The shea butter makes a difference.

Not that my shave wasn't good.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Have I mentioned how much I, like everyone in the world other than the only one who could fix it, would like Wolfman baseplates to be marked with their gap. Usually I can remember which of my WR2 razors is the 1.15 and which is the 1.35. Today, Wednesday, I had to figure it out. Kinda a PIA.

I did figure it out. Used the 1.15. Got a good shave.

5-25-22.WR2.1.15.Canada.SV-HMW.640.JPG

At least at the moment, if I had to keep only one of my two Wolfman razors, I'd pick the 1.15. It is a very good razor. Of course, the 1.35 is also a very good razor, but I like the better ability of the 1.15 to comfortably address my upper lip.

My Wizamet SI blade was flipped and used for the 6th time.

My Saponificio Varesino HMW was used again today - my 7th consecutive shave with the new brush - I'm not giving it a chance to get totally dry.

I like it.

Cube.Tube.Mysterium.Large.640.1-22JPG.JPG

4-22.Tobacco&Cognac.Insurrection.640.Clear.JPG

Good shave today.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Tuesday my shave was good.

View attachment 1461119

Today marks the 5th outing for my flipped Wizamet SI blade.

It was my 6th shave with the new Saponificio Varesino High Mountain White Manchuria.

Sailor settings were 2, 6, and the Zero Dot. The razor worked a treat as did the rest of my kit.

If you read as many reviews as you can find, reviews of this SV brush, what you'll find is somewhat mixed in the particulars, but generally laudatory. Many people have called it the perfectly balanced brush. Mostly they mean the knot I think. Many comments say some version of the same thing. This is a brush which is unique. Certainly it is a unique knot compared to any I've used.

I've read that the knot changes after the twelfth shave with it. What that means is a mystery.

It's soft, but not soft like a super soft three band silvertip. It's soft in the way you might wish your two band or Manchurian were. At the same time it has adequate scrub. The backbone is certainly not strong, but it's also not absent. The brush loads nicely even off of a very hard puck such as Canada Shaving Soap.

I wouldn't call the knot dense. I've read some reports saying it's dense, but they're comparing it with what? It's not dense, but it's also not at all skimpy.

Yes, it's a very big knot. Yes, it's a very heavy and brush with a tall handle.

Yes, I really like it. Apparently I like it a great deal.

It is a little bit gelled. That's judging by the slight crustiness when it dries. No it's not gelled much at all. Not a bad gel, as I see it. (I don't like gelled, and I like this knot.) Hopefully, the gel will go away and the softness and feel won't change except for the better. I'm not sure how much better it could get. Not much.

It's a very good knot.

I forgot to use shea butter last night. Actually I remembered but was too lazy to get out of bed to apply it. That was a mistake. The shea butter makes a difference.

Not that my shave wasn't good.

Happy shaves,

Jim
Good Lord, that is a beautiful piece of shaving machinery! Wow!!

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

You don't seem to frequent other threads in forums, so I don't think you know this yet. But I ordered a polished Timeless Titanium, smooth cap, scalloped base plate, 0.95 blade, crown handle. I did get it engraved with my username, and I included the stand for it. Comes tomorrow.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
You don't seem to frequent other threads in forums, so I don't think you know this yet. But I ordered a polished Timeless Titanium, smooth cap, scalloped base plate, 0.95 blade, crown handle. I did get it engraved with my username, and I included the stand for it. Comes tomorrow.

Be interesting to see how you like it.

Timeless razors are flat out beautiful in my view of them.

6-2-21.RV-D01.TimelessTi95OC.Vitos.640.@Topsail.JPG

I like both handles.

Timeless stands are beautiful examples of what a large stand can be.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune

View attachment 1461907

I like both handles.

Happy shaves,

Jim
I used some Simichrome All Metal Polish on my matte Crown handle and stand.... It gave it an amazing sheen and lighted everything up just a bit. I contacted Timeless before I did it just to make sure it was appropriate. I wanted it to be closer to my Claymore Evo head and it does now.

Mine was a bit hmmmm gritty feeling as well... the Simichrome got rid of that as well....

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

View attachment 1461907

I like both handles.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Awww, thank you so much Jim! That was a very nice thing for you to say. And I just had an uneasy conversation with somebody in the family, and I really needed that, thank you. And my goodness, I didn't know you own a Timeless Titanium razor, it looks really beautiful with scalloped top cap and open comb. I am really glad that you love it! 😍

Top Bottom