What's new

Damn Comfortable Shave

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
No shave yesterday.​
888.RazoRock888.480-.5-31-18.JPG

No shave today.​

Still, it's nice to use a nice lotion such as this.​

It has a pleasant scent, feels great on my skin, and seems just right for today. (Yesterday, too.)

Happy shaves to you,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Monday. Finally shaved again after about 96 hours without a shave.

10-18-21.FOCS.SemogueLE3Band.Vitos.640.JPG

It is really hard to beat the FOCS!

The little areas on my skin are mostly entirely gone such that there is mostly no evidence they were ever there. However, a couple of small areas remain a bit discolored sorta kinda showing there was once something problematic there.

I babied them.

There are no signs of damage from today's shave, at least not so far.

It was a very good shave.

Clasico Bay Rum. Vendor's photo.480.png

Flipped Wizamet SI blade. Cube/Tube. Clásico Bay Rum is yummy.

I wish I could get a more flattering and accurate photo of this handsome brush handle.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Skipping a shave today to favor the tiny area not yet 100% healed looking. It is healed in all but final appearance but I want the look to resume the look of normal skin. It is a bare amount the wrong color still.

Sandalwood PAA. Vendor's photo.480.png

No reason not to smell good.​

Tracking says my next Wolfman, the WR2 1.35, is out for delivery to my office mailbox, but I am working from home today so it will have to wait.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Wednesday's shave was good.

9-20-21.WR2.1.15.Mistura.Vitos.640.JPG

Wolfman WR2 1.15.

Flipped Wizamet SI blade. Cube/Tube.

Coconut Bay Splash. 12-16-20. 640JPG.JPG

This yummy splash. No other post shave products.

My Wolfman WR2 1.35 razor arrived yesterday. I opened the package today, admired it, and have it ready to take home. It looks exactly like the Wolfman pictured above. Whether I will use it in the next few days is an open question, but I might.

I'm still babying my skin, so maybe not.

10-18-21.FOCS.SemogueLE3Band.Vitos.640.JPG

How do the FOCS & the Wolfman WR2 1.15 compare?​
7-15-21.Wolfman.Side.WR2.640.JPG

The FOCS is a fabulous razor. In all respects it would be hard to beat. Overall it is not as close shaving as the WR2 1.15, but it might be the Wolfman's equal or even better than the 1.15 in smoothing my soul patch.

The FOCS is easier to use. Both are very smooth feeling in use. Both are all metal razors. One costs a great deal more. I'd be very hard pressed were I forced to pick and keep only one of the two which tells you a huge amount about the value of the Fatip OC Slant. (Yet what is its price?)

Happy shaves,

Jim

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
Yet what is its price?

I’m hoping someone will buy a chrome FOCS and a g-FOCS to make a mixed metal thingy and mail me the combo they don’t fancy (not you as your penchant for mixed metal razors is as limited/focused as it’s exquisite - that ti/brass Blackbird!), so maybe just under $40usd?

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I’m hoping someone will buy a chrome FOCS and a g-FOCS to make a mixed metal thingy and mail me the combo they don’t fancy (not you as your penchant for mixed metal razors is as limited/focused as it’s exquisite - that ti/brass Blackbird!), so maybe just under $40usd?

They still sell 'em, right? Maybe a Christmas present to yourself?

David @never-stop-learning has some really pretty mixed metal razors. He seems to understand things such as ATT razors which are apparently way beyond me. (I have a couple or so ATT razors, but mine are very simple; the newer line ups do not make sense to me, but probably do to others.)

Blackbird.OpenComb.Brass.Baseplate.Ti.NY.10-14-21.JPG

I've not used my OC mixed metal Blackbird yet, but it sure looks great. Titanium handle.​

Anyway, check out David's mixed metal beauties.

Happy shaves,

Jim

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
Thanks for the recommendation, Jim! I’ve checked out some from him and @JAHE and contemplated getting a gold Fatip Grande for the same, but chickened out. Thinking I’ll get the most enjoyment from your and their skills at composing shots like the one you posted.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Thanks for the recommendation, Jim! I’ve checked out some from him and @JAHE and contemplated getting a gold Fatip Grande for the same, but chickened out. Thinking I’ll get the most enjoyment from your and their skills at composing shots like the one you posted.

Easy solution.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Today I introduced my skin and whiskers to a new Wolfman WR2 1.35.

10-21-21.WolfmanWR2-1.35.Vitos.SemogueLE3Band.640.JPG

Going into this Thursday shave I was as it turns out needlessly intimidated and fearful.

This razor is easy to use. Smooth. Pleasant.

I'll reserve a review until I have more experience with it, but first impressions were great.

Wizamet SI, flipped. Cube & Tube.

I see and feel zero evidence of skin damage from today's shave.

6-22-21.DiverDown.After&Cologne.640.JPG

Followed the shave with only one product.

Going into this shave I had had a close shave yesterday with the WR2 1.15 and could have gotten away without shaving today had I wanted to, but I didn't.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Friday the kit delivered another good shave.

WR2-135.CH2-3 Band.Vitos.640.JPG

Once again the razor of choice was the Wolfman WR2 1.35 loaded with a flipped Wizamet SI blade.

Once again the razor did a noteworthy job of it.

It was pretty obvious this morning that I could have gotten by - having used this same razor yesterday - without a shave today. I elected to shave anyway.

I'd call it a very good shave. There is a just a little hint that I might have overdone something. If so, it would be that I shoulda skipped today's shave.

It's also true I've not been using hyaluronic acid or a moisturizer post shave or even at night in the last week or two. Perhaps I should and will resume using it, at least sometimes, but I've noticed that, other than today, my skin has not seemed dry.

888.RazoRock888.480-.5-31-18.JPG

Today's splash is one of my favorites in terms of its face feel. I like the scent, too; it is not as long lasting as the scent of most of my other favorites, but it is very pleasant.​

Good kit today.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Last edited:

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Saturday a razor new to my skin was introduced, the ATT Windsor Pro SB90 in SS.

10-23-21.ATT-SB90.Vitos.RV-D01.2Band.640.JPG

It is certainly a razor with an enjoyable enough shave. On first impressions, during the shave, I liked it a lot. Reasonably smooth feeling, not dangerous feeling, some but not much blade feel, easy enough to use.

Soon after the shave I realized that the SB90, on first impressions, on my first shave with it, is not anywhere near the efficiency and effectiveness level of either of my WR2 razors. It's also not as efficient and effective as the FOCS.

That is not me saying I don't like the razor. I like it, but it is what it is, and it is not what it is not.

It is quite heavy feeling, but not a problem in that regard.

Considering the reviews I've read of this razor, including Errol's review which I could cut and paste here but don't need to, I expected more. Still, I'm already aware that Errol must have whiskers much easier to smooth than mine.

It's interesting, this business of trying out razors and figuring out what works best for one's own skin and whiskers.

Make no mistake. This is a quality razor, a top tier razor, but just not a Daily Driver candidate for me.

Cube/Tube. Flipped Wizamet SI blade.

10-27-20.PineappleBayRum.10-27-20..640JPG.JPG

Probably this is my least favorite of the PAA bay rums I've tried, but it's certainly not bad at all. I rather like it. I just like others better.

Don't hear me as complaining about this shave or razor. It'll do for today.

With some extra work, I was able to smooth pretty well my soul patch, but my neck with the usual amount of work is not up to par.

Happy shaves,

Jim

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Saturday a razor new to my skin was introduced, the ATT Windsor Pro SB90 in SS.

View attachment 1350764

It is certainly a razor with an enjoyable enough shave. On first impressions, during the shave, I liked it a lot. Reasonably smooth feeling, not dangerous feeling, some but not much blade feel, easy enough to use.

Soon after the shave I realized that the SB90, on first impressions, on my first shave with it, is not anywhere near the efficiency and effectiveness level of either of my WR2 razors. It's also not as efficient and effective as the FOCS.

That is not me saying I don't like the razor. I like it, but it is what it is, and it is not what it is not.

It is quite heavy feeling, but not a problem in that regard.

Considering the reviews I've read of this razor, including Errol's review which I could cut and paste here but don't need to, I expected more. Still, I'm already aware that Errol must have whiskers much easier to smooth than mine.

It's interesting, this business of trying out razors and figuring out what works best for one's own skin and whiskers.

Make no mistake. This is a quality razor, a top tier razor, but just not a Daily Driver candidate for me.

Cube/Tube. Flipped Wizamet SI blade.

View attachment 1350780
Probably this is my least favorite of the PAA bay rums I've tried, but it's certainly not bad at all. I rather like it. I just like others better.

Don't hear me as complaining about this shave or razor. It'll do for today.

With some extra work, I was able to smooth pretty well my soul patch, but my neck with the usual amount of work is not up to par.

Happy shaves,

Jim
On my face and whiskers, the Windsor Pro with the stock SB90 plate is really smooth, medium- efficient, medium effective.

Changing out to the CH1 plate really increases the efficiency and effectiveness with a small decrease in smoothness. Worthwhile trade for those of us with difficult whiskers. :)

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
On my face and whiskers, the Windsor Pro with the stock SB90 plate is really smooth, medium- efficient, medium effective.

Changing out to the CH1 plate really increases the efficiency and effectiveness with a small decrease in smoothness. Worthwhile trade for those of us with difficult whiskers. :)

That's using the Windsor Pro cap as opposed to the Windsor cap, right?

There are no CH1 plates available (on the ATT website). I've considered buying the SSH1 baseplate while it's on sale.

We see it about the same way.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Last edited:

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I went ahead and ordered a returned polished SSH1 baseplate and a returned Atlas handle. I'm not buying the $90 Windsor cap unless I hate the Windsor Pro cap with the baseplate (which is doubtful).

David @never-stop-learning, you didn't 100% answer my question, but I'm assuming your
😍 was an endorsement of the baseplate/cap combo. If not, my bad, and easily fixed down the road with Windsor cap.

Happy shaves,

Jim

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I went ahead and ordered a returned polished SSH1 baseplate and a returned Atlas handle. I'm not buying the $90 Windsor cap unless I hate the Windsor Pro cap with the baseplate (which is doubtful).

David @never-stop-learning, you didn't 100% answer my question, but I'm assuming your
😍 was an endorsement of the baseplate/cap combo. If not, my bad, and easily fixed down the road with Windsor cap.

Happy shaves,

Jim
Sorry, Jim. Was on the move when I answered.

From my experience:

The Classic cap provides 2mm of blade exposure and the highest efficiency.

The Windsor Pro cap provides (if memory serves - I can't find the exact spec on the ATT site anymore) 1.5mm of blade exposure. A bit smoother than the Classic. A bit more efficient than the regular Windsor.

The Windsor cap provides 1mm of blade exposure and is the mildest.

The Aluminum Windsor Pro provides another combination that I am exploring. So far, I've tried the CH1 and CR1 plates with the Aluminum cap and handle. I like the weight and balance.

The Classic cap + CH1 plate is a superb high efficiency razor, a degree of care is required. The Windsor Pro Cap + CH1 plate brings 90% of the efficiency and is a smoother ride.

Hope this is a more complete answer. :)

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
:yikes:

One assumes you mean blade reveal. :wink2:
full
I was going by what ATT states on their website:

1635097386467.png

If they got it wrong and blade reveal is the correct term, so be it.

Perhaps you could make them an offer to proofread and correct their sales material? ;)

Last edited:

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Sorry, Jim. Was on the move when I answered.

From my experience:

The Classic cap provides 2mm of blade exposure and the highest efficiency.

The Windsor Pro cap provides (if memory serves - I can't find the exact spec on the ATT site anymore) 1.5mm of blade exposure. A bit smoother than the Classic. A bit more efficient than the regular Windsor.

The Windsor cap provides 1mm of blade exposure and is the mildest.

The Aluminum Windsor Pro provides another combination that I am exploring. So far, I've tried the CH1 and CR1 plates with the Aluminum cap and handle. I like the weight and balance.

The Classic cap + CH1 plate is a superb high efficiency razor, a degree of care is required. The Windsor Pro Cap + CH1 plate brings 90% of the efficiency and is a smoother ride.

Hope this is a more complete answer. :)

Thank you, David.

1635097386467.png

I'm sure you've seen this post as the ATT fellow was responding to your inquiry.

To answer your question - the Windsor Pro cap has only slightly more blade exposure than the Windsor cap. We're talking less than 1mm difference.

He doesn't totally answer the question, but his answer lets me know it's going to be trial and error. Unlike you, I don't have every available (at one time but not now) component, so I'll just do the best I can do.

There are other glowing reviews of the CM1 but which cap they used isn't always clear.

This gentleman says the Windsor Pro aluminum (which I suppose means the aluminum SB90) has a cap which is 1.7 mm whereas the SS SB90 is 1.5 mm. (I think that's what he's saying.)

To my way of thinking Above the Tie does a lousy job of marketing their products in that it's very hard with all their offerings to figure things out. Whether that hurts sales with other customers is beyond my pay grade, but it hurts sales with me.

Generally though they have very good gear in my limited experience.

From what I've read, they plan to greatly expand their Windsor Pro line to include OC, slants, etc.

Like some others I'm not wild about their made-in-China policy but I understand it.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Top Bottom