Fumbling about.
WolfmanWR2.1.15.7-15-21.64.End.JPG

Friday's kit has arrived.​
7-15-21.Wolfman.Side.WR2.640.JPG

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
But Jim... stop teasing! Details please.

Wolfman head WR2-SB (Blade gap? Finish?)
Wolfman handle WRH2 (Handle length? Solid or hollow? Finish?)

Inquiring minds NEED to know. :yesnod:

Wolfman WR2 SB 1.15. Basic polish.
WRH2 handle. 80 mm (short handle). Hollow. Basic polish.

Purchased from a member (was never on the BST).

Also three Feather blade shims so I can try three other gaps. Figuring out if I like 1.15, or 1.25, or 1.35, or 1.45 best.

I'm on the waiting list to order, in a few months, a new Wolfman should I still want one. Several gentlemen have told me, and they're smart guys, the 1.15 will meet my needs. Other, equally smart I think , have said I will need a 1.35 or 1.45.

I'm on the list for a 1.25, but can of course change my mind.

Happy shaves,

Jim

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Beautiful razor, Jim. :thumbup:

The WR2 1.25 SB works well for me. When I get another Wolfman, I'll go for either a WR2 1.45 SB or (less likely) a medium-high gap WR1 OC.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
33g Wolfman WR2 SB 1.15. Basic polish.
55g WRH2 handle. 80 mm (short handle). Hollow. Basic polish.
88g Total weight (88.5g loaded)

Excellent! Thank you Jim. :thumbup1:

The handle feels quite heavy for a hollow handle. I'm very glad to have hollow instead of the solid handle.

I've not weighed the razor or its components yet but will soon enough. It's not that it's a tank but it's no lightweight. It's what I expected it to be (and we'll see how it shaves soon enough).

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Friday. First Shave with the Wolfman WR2 SB 1.15. Hollow 80 mm handle. Basic polish. Acquired from a member.

7-16-21.Wolfman(1stShave).Rave'sManchurian.Vitos.640.JPG

A brand new Wizamet SI blade was installed. Cube 2.0 was used in the shower and as a preshave.

My initial impressions.
  • Smooth shaver. Perhaps not as smooth as the GameChanger 68 but what is.
  • Immediately post shave (while applying my hyaluronic acid) I would not have judged the shave as especially close and smooth compared with some other razors. That not to say it wasn't close, but it didn't blow me away.
  • By the time I applied my moisturizer which followed a brief drying period (a minute maybe) for the HA and another for the splash, the shave seemed overall a lot closer than initially.
  • I'd say much the same about my soul patch. In other words, it is a lot better now (five minutes at most after the shave) than I initially thought. It did take some work, but that's always the case.
  • I'm pretty impressed with the first shave.
  • It's certainly a very effective razor.
Is it a Daily Driver? I have no idea.

Is it efficient? Yes.

Efficient and close shaving enough to completely satisfy me? We'll see.

I loved using the wonderful Zenith Manchurian. It's become a great knot by any standard.

HyaluronicAcid.Brickell.CoconutBay.480.12-20.JPG

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Saturday my shave was good.

7-17-21.WR2.1.15.CH3.Manchurian.Vitos.640JPG.JPG

Flipped the blade and used the same razor again today with good results.

This Simpson Chubby 3 Manchurian is a truly top tier brush by any measure. It's definitely one of my favorite brushes. I love the size of the CH3 handles. The knot manages to be practically perfect.

The Cube 2.0 was used again today (it's become a regular) in the shower and as a preshave.

Post shave I've used only hyaluronic acid but am likely to apply a splash and moisturizer before long.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Without a doubt what most impresses me about the Wolfman WR2 SB 1.15 is how close and smooth my shaves are once an (early) hysteresis effect kicks in.

There is some discussion here and there about how to evaluate a shave in terms of its closeness and how smoothly shaven the skin feels. Obviously one way is to evaluate how long lasting the shave ends up being. Others involve evaluation at various times during or after the shave. In my view, it takes some experience and an acquired bit of judgment to accurately correlate the perceived closeness of the shave while still deciding whether to do more work with the closeness of the shave as evaluated later on.

Too much work leads to irritation. Too little work results in a less than satisfactory close shave.

WolfmanWR2 Two Shims.7-17-21.640.JPG

Two shims added!​

I've only used the Wolfman SB 1.15 twice so I've barely dipped into its waters, but I'm blown away by how close my shaves have felt a half hour or hour or so after the shave was finished as compared with how close they seemed (or didn't seem) when I quit shaving and put the razor away.

Am I doing pretty much the same amount of work with the Wolfman as I usually do with most razors? I think so. Certainly I'm not doing a huge amount more work with the Wolfman. However, the results seem to be beyond the amount of work I'm doing. Also the results seem beyond what my evaluation would indicate immediately post shave.

I mean this as compared with other shaves with other razors. Most razors deliver a shave which is better an hour after completion than it was immediately post shave, but the Wolfman delivers a shave which is beyond that norm.

It makes me wonder whether I'd prefer a lower or higher gap on my desert island Wolfman? Towards that end I can add shims to increase the gap. I have four shims made from Feather blades. I'm planning to use two of them tomorrow to simulate a Wolfman 1.35 gap.

1626542256336.png

I'm very pleased with this razor so far. The shave is smooth enough and pretty comfortable and also much closer than one might expect.

We'll see how it goes.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Without a doubt what most impresses me about the Wolfman WR2 SB 1.15 is how close and smooth my shaves are once an (early) hysteresis effect kicks in.

There is some discussion here and there about how to evaluate a shave in terms of its closeness and how smoothly shaven the skin feels. Obviously one way is to evaluate how long lasting the shave ends up being. Others involve evaluation at various times during or after the shave. In my view, it takes some experience and an acquired bit of judgment to accurately correlate the perceived closeness of the shave while still deciding whether to do more work with the closeness of the shave as evaluated later on.

Too much work leads to irritation. Too little work results in a less than satisfactory close shave.

View attachment 1298229
Two shims added!​

I've only used the Wolfman SB 1.15 twice so I've barely dipped into its waters, but I'm blown away by how close my shaves have felt a half hour or hour or so after the shave was finished as compared with how close they seemed (or didn't seem) when I quit shaving and put the razor away.

Am I doing pretty much the same amount of work with the Wolfman as I usually do with most razors? I think so. Certainly I'm not doing a huge amount more work with the Wolfman. However, the results seem to be beyond the amount of work I'm doing. Also the results seem beyond what my evaluation would indicate immediately post shave.

I mean this as compared with other shaves with other razors. Most razors deliver a shave which is better an hour after completion than it was immediately post shave, but the Wolfman delivers a shave which is beyond that norm.

It makes me wonder whether I'd prefer a lower or higher gap on my desert island Wolfman? Towards that end I can add shims to increase the gap. I have four shims made from Feather blades. I'm planning to use two of them tomorrow to simulate a Wolfman 1.35 gap.

View attachment 1298223

I'm very pleased with this razor so far. The shave is smooth enough and pretty comfortable and also much closer than one might expect.

We'll see how it goes.

Happy shaves,

Jim
Really nice looking razor

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member

Interesting. I wonder why that is...

Top Bottom