What's new

Damn Comfortable Shave

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Thursday's shave was good.

7-8-21.Timeless.Ti.Slim.RV-Manchurian.Vitos.640.JPG

Once again I enjoyed using the effective but not perfect (in being extremely efficient) Timeless Ti Slim SB. It's a very well balanced razor.

Cube 2.0 & Wizamet SI (flipped).

Yummy stuff ➡​
12-20.ClasicoBayRum.HyaluronicAcid.Brickell.640JPG.JPG

Enjoyable and pretty darn decent shave.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Will do! Might take a while though, it's out of stock at Italian Barber. Plus my photo skills and my camera suck lol. Not sure which is worse to be honest ;)

I believe my SOC Mistura came from across the pond.

1625785387847.png

Indeed it did. I looked it up in my email receipts. I tend to shop around for prices, and, when it's overseas, exchange rates, and shipping costs. The shipping was pretty quick as I recall in May, 2020, when I ordered it.​

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Friday's shave was close and blood free (not perfect).

7-9-21.Blackbird.Rave'sManchurian.Vitos.640.JPG

I don't like the too skinny Blackbird handle. It's also too long, but that's minor.

It shaves close of course but I had to do a good bit of work to get there. Fortunately, no blood.
  • Wizamet SI, flipped.
  • Cube 2.0.
Certainly not an all over BBS, but this beast can get close to the skin. My soul patch is closer than usual, but not perfect. My neck is the same.

HyaluronicAcid.Brickell.DiverDown.640.6-26-21.JPG

Happy shaves,

Jim

Last edited:

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
You need to swap it for an "excellent" handle (which I'm pretty sure you possess). :wink2:

Mind you, you'd then need two shaves with that razor. I appreciate that that could be difficult when your queue of yet-to-be-used razors stretches out into the yard. :crying:

As heavy as the Blackbird Head feels in SS I think some handles might be too light for it (and I've become fond of lighter handles).

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Saturday's shave was good.

7-10-21.Blackbird.RR-Ti-handle.70:30.Vitos.640JPG.JPG

Today's handle experiment was a trial of a RazoRock handle on the Blackbird.

1625933999926.png

This morning I measured my Blackbird handle and found it's 85 mm. I thought I had the long handle but I was wrong. Regardless, I wanted to use a fatter handle. I tried several of my handles attending to Shane's advice concerning how handles should fit if the Blackbird handle itself wasn't used.

Several of my handles looked promising. Several of the RazoRock handles seemed to fit within the Blackbird's baseplate opening and tighten snuggly. Surprise surprise!

Although I'd prefer a much shorter handle than the RazoRock 100 mm titanium handle, it is a good looking and reasonably fat handle. I like 'em to be in the 12 - 13 - 14 mm range. I have to say it looked very good to my eye with the Blackbird head, but, more importantly, it functioned well.

I'll probably take my hacksaw to the handle (and a little sandpaper) and make it the length I want it to be.

proxy.php

Anyway, the shave was very good.

This is my second shave in a row with the Blackbird during which the razor didn't bite me. My only issue with the Blackbird over time has been what I've seen as its tendency to occasionally jump up out of the bushes to bite the heck out of me. If If somehow figured out how to, or, more likely, stumbled upon how to avoid that problem, this will be an excellent razor for me I think.

Whether it's a Daily Driver or not will require experimentation, but my shaves with it of late are certainly close, smooth, and reasonably long lasting. The Blackland Blackbird is certainly a high efficiency razor for me, and it feels smooth on my skin (when it doesn't bite). Yes, there's some blade feel, but that's never been much of a problem at all for me.

Maybe my technique is better. Maybe the PAA Cube 2.0 has made a huge difference. Maybe the Blackbird will bite me tomorrow. In any event, I'm pleased, much more pleased than I've previously been, with the razor. Especially with a fat handle.

Where's that hacksaw?

Used a flipped and not new Wizamet SI, as usual. 70/30 knot in an old Thater handle.

12-20.CrownKingBayRum.AA.HyaluronicAcid.Brickell.640.JPG

Yummy scent. Great products.

Happy shaves to you,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Sunday's shave was a test.

The test was good. The shave, not so much.

7-11-21.LupoDC.CH2-SB.Timeless-EthereaSS.640JPG.JPG

For its first outing the Lupo DC was paired with a polished Timeless Ti handle. Good looking, yes, indeed, both the handle and the Lupo head. It makes a nice combination I think.

The right side was shaved with the 72 OC side. The left with the 95 SB side.

I've used my (both sides) Lupo 95 a few times in the past, but this was the first outing for any version of a Lupo 72. I have in the wings a (both sides) Lupo 72 SB.

Perhaps the 95 side was a bit smoother feeling during the shave, but not enough to be of much concern. Probably enough so I won't be likely to favor the 72 OC over the 95, but further testing is required should I care enough to do it; further testing as in complete shaves with the 72 OC, etc.

I missed spots on my upper lip right below my nostrils. If this were a go to work shave I'd have to lather up and go after them, but I can manage with a very imperfect shave this afternoon poolside.

Overall, the shave was close and comfortable.

It's hard not to think maybe the PAA Cube 2.0 is a huge asset when trying to get a great, close shave!

My shaves have improved since I began using it, that's for sure.
TheCube.Box.Cube.Stand.640.6-26-21.JPG

Timeless sent me a soap sample with a recent order. I gave it a spin after transferring the soap (easily) to a larger, empty container. It's a very nice scented soap according to my nose. It performed like most good soaps I think. Were I into scented soaps I might buy a tin.

The more I use this brush the more I like it. Initially it felt if anything too soft for a two band badger, but I've come to enjoy its softness especially since it has plenty of backbone and scrub.

Nice stuff.​

Not a perfect shave, but a good test. The Lupo DC is certainly a very good razor. I can see why it, like the other Lupo razors, is such a big hit.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Monday I shaved with the Lupo 72 SB for the first time.

7-12-21.Lupo72.Vitos.RV-D01.640.JPG

It's a good razor, but on first impressions I like the results from the Lupo 95 (and perhaps the 72 OC) better.

That's not me saying it's not a very good razor.
  • Wizamet SI (flipped)
  • Cube 2.0 (in shower & as a preshave)

Yummy!​
12-20.the.Beach.Hyaluronic.Acid.Brickell.640JPG.JPG

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Tuesday's shave was very interesting.

7-13-21.WinningRazor.Shavemac.Vitos.640JPG.JPG

I'm trying out a brand new razor, The Winning Razor. It's a very interesting bit of gear. It demands a certain angle, and feels like it's sucking itself right up to the skin when the angle's right. It's kinda weird in that regard.

It certainly seems to be a highly efficient razor (so far that's my impression; one shave) and also very smooth feeling on my skin. There's no blade feel that I could notice enough to care about except when shaving ATG. It feels mild and efficient. Effective? We'll see.

The razor is very heavy. I'm not saying too heavy.

Also used a flipped Wizamet SI blade and the PAA Cube 2.0.

HyaluronicAcid.Brickell.CoconutBay.480.12-20.JPG

I'll have to use the razor some more. For one thing, the angle is terribly easy to find on my cheeks, but not so easy to find on my chin and ATG. In other words, there might be a learning curve.

My normal lathers are very hydrated, but perhaps not hydrated enough for this razor.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Wednesday my shave was good.

7-14-21.CH3.Best.Blackbird-on-HALO.Vitos.640.JPG

Once again the Blackbird was employed, again on the long titanium handle.

Once again the Blackbird delivered a good shave. I wouldn't call it perfect by any means, but it's a quite good shave.

Today I also used the PAA Cube 2.0 and the same flipped Wizamet SI blade I've been using.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Thursday my shave was pretty good.

Mühle Rocca 95

Wizamet SI
(flipped again)

Cube 2.0
(shower & preshave)​
7-15-21.R95.CH2-Best.Vitos.640.JPG

Seems to me the Blackland Blackbird shave yesterday was somewhat closer than today's shave. Not by a lot. Still, a good shave today.

12-20.the.Beach.Hyaluronic.Acid.Brickell.640JPG.JPG

Used the Beach again because my wife wanted me to (she never says anything about what splash I wear) & because I like it a lot.​

Happy shaves,

Jim

Last edited:
Top Bottom