What's new

Damn Comfortable Shave

I'm still processing these and will be for a while, but both are very helpful. I greatly appreciate the work and thought that went into the two great responses.

Of course I had to search around for the unobtanium Merkur Vision. Interesting razor. Makes me wonder how it compares with the other Merkur adjustables, but that's a question for another time.

You gentlemen certainly have much different views of the Taiga. Also very similar views of the Sailor.

I have much to consider including whether I want another adjustable to go along with my Gillette Executive and Pearl Flexi. (I have a few others but these are the only two I consider worth claiming.)

I'm a daily shaver. I don't object to some blade feel but I certainly don't relish it or crave it and could do without it.

Premium Vector | Cute little kid boy think with question mark

I have one little question. Concerning the Taiga. Their material says this: "razor handle (left-hand thread)." I'm not sure what that means. My guess is it means the handle can be removed, but that it unscrews in the wrong direction. (As compared with what we think of as "normal" handles.) If that's the case, could another handle be used to replace the stock handle assuming the thread were also left handed?

Thank you both so much and happy shaves,

Jim

Yes Jim, you assume correctly. The Taiga is reverse threaded.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Wednesday the WR2 1.15 jumped into my hand.

9-22-21.WR2.1.15.RV.2Band.Vitos.Polsilver.640.JPG

Before shaving the razor was disassembled and cleaned with a soft toothbrush and Dawn. A new blade was installed. (Huge PIA getting the paper and glue off the blade today; the worst of that sort of problem on record.)

Since about Sunday I've had a recurrence of "those spots" previously (recently) documented. They're not bad this time. Not like before, but, still, they're there. Uncool!

Following yesterday's shave with the gingerly used Karve B OC they were significantly better (by this morning). I'm not sure how well they'll be tomorrow morning, but I'm hopeful.

Also used the Cube/Tube.

12-20.ClasicoBayRum.HyaluronicAcid.Brickell.640JPG.JPG

Exactly what's causing these spots is undetermined. Possibly a razor too aggressive? Possibly bad technique? Possibly I used the now replaced Polsilver blade too long?

I'm giving these areas very light, maybe extremely light attention. It's not areas where I have to buff or do multiple anything. It is near difficult areas, but so what?

The areas were not raw this time around (in the last few days I mean). No blood. Not like weepers. Just a bit inflamed. Very little bit this morning before the shave. On maybe Sunday or Monday the areas were a bit raised. Now they're not.

Anyway...

Happy shaves to you,

Jim

Before shaving the razor was disassembled and cleaned with a soft toothbrush and Dawn. A new blade was installed. (Huge PIA getting the paper and glue off the blade today; the worst of that sort of problem on record.)
PITA Resolver:
Personna-Red-EU-packaging-MadeInIsrael.jpg

I've been back with my old favorites (Personna Reds) for some time. As great as my Polsilver SIs, Wizamet ISs, Feathers, etc are... the wax overkill just takes the fun out of it.

I clean each separate part of my shave gear every shave and am quite happy to do so, but attempting to clean off the wax from the baseplate, cap, and blade itself turns that into a real chore.
Since about Sunday I've had a recurrence of "those spots" previously (recently) documented. They're not bad this time. Not like before, but, still, they're there. Uncool!
I'm going to recommend an experiment which you won't take up, Jim. :nonod:

Use ONLY soap-for-washing, shaving-soap, and an after-shave-splash (NOT balm) on your face for a few days (i.e. let your skin breathe a bit). See if that clears it up. If not, go back to the numerous (I've lost count) things you coat your face with every 24 hours. :lol1:

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I guess it's often tough to determine why these spots happen, so many possible variables, no?
Do hope it resolves soon.

So I pulled the trigger on the R95 birch bark. I do believe I'll call her 'Treesa'. Very much looking forward to the first test drive!

Great great name.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
PITA Resolver:
View attachment 1332549
I've been back with my old favorites (Personna Reds) for some time. As great as my Polsilver SIs, Wizamet ISs, Feathers, etc are... the wax overkill just takes the fun out of it.

I clean each separate part of my shave gear every shave and am quite happy to do so, but attempting to clean off the wax from the baseplate, cap, and blade itself turns that into a real chore.

I'm going to recommend an experiment which you won't take up, Jim. :nonod:

Use ONLY soap-for-washing, shaving-soap, and an after-shave-splash (NOT balm) on your face for a few days (i.e. let your skin breathe a bit). See if that clears it up. If not, go back to the numerous (I've lost count) things you coat your face with every 24 hours. :lol1:

I only use the things in my photos - hyaluronic acid which is a true game changer, a splash, and a moisturizer - most all the time. Sometimes I use nothing.

The Cube/Tube is really just a shave soap. I mean it literally is a shave soap; you can lather it up and shave with it. I have lathered it with a brush and shaved with it. Pretty good shave soap. Better as a preshave I think.

I may very well follow your advice for a while, Cal, as soon as I get past the active (and healing) spots.

I know already that I can shave with the Wolfman WR2 1.15 daily and use nothing post shave. I've done that a number of days in a row. I don't know if I can use a splash and nothing else. I'm pretty sure the alcohol is somewhat of an issue for my skin. (But I love the scents.)

Aside from these current spots which have to be caused by a blade my only real skin problem in many many months has been dry skin. It's a ton less dry using hyaluronic acid. Obviously I mostly mean dry skin on my face. It's been a problem for me forever. When I sported a full beard it was less of a problem, but, even then it was somewhat of an issue.

I hear you, Cal. Whether I will follow your advice is unanswerable at the moment, but I promise to consider and ponder it.

Happy shaves,

Jim

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
Bic Chrome Platinum are also sharp, smooth, and not glued to a wrapper like the Israeli-made Personna Platinum blades. I think @Cal Czeched and the European-made Personna Platinums had glue dots.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
My skin is taking a needed break today.

Instead of shaving I watched some videos of the Merkur Vision particularly those dealing with its disassembly, cleaning, and reassembly. Talk about a high maintenance bit of gear!

The manufacturer suggests a complete breakdown and cleaning with every blade change. Some gentlemen report going through the process only every couple of years. Apparently it may depend on the hardness of you water.

There are at least two videos on the process, both worth watching.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
888.RazoRock888.480-.5-31-18.JPG

No shave today.
(letting my "areas" heal)

This is my favorite "healing" tonic.​
I'm busy deciding whether to wash my shaving white belt. There are numerous videos showing how. A few fellows who argue a white belt should never never never be washed.​
Shaving White Belt Photo Meme.jpg

Yes, I am holding onto my shaving white belt. For obvious reasons. Admittedly it's worn and dirty and old, but I like it. I haven't earned another belt and probably never will. That's okay with me.

In case you feel otherwise, here are some tips...

Happy shaves,

Jim

Raven Koenes

My precious!
My skin is taking a needed break today.

Instead of shaving I watched some videos of the Merkur Vision particularly those dealing with its disassembly, cleaning, and reassembly. Talk about a high maintenance bit of gear!

The manufacturer suggests a complete breakdown and cleaning with every blade change. Some gentlemen report going through the process only every couple of years. Apparently it may depend on the hardness of you water.

There are at least two videos on the process, both worth watching.

Happy shaves,

Jim
I collect Merkurs to shave with when I'm off my meds. I thought about getting a Merkur Vision at one point. The deal breaker was the high maintenance. It's a lot for a zamak razor. My Merkur Progress was enough. It is a cool looking razor though.

The effect of water hardness differences is MASSIVE (IME).

I my early B&B days I wrecked a few shaving brushes... by rinsing them! (Running my über hard tap water over a clean and/or polished item puts a matte chemical coating on it... so if I want it to look clean I have to wipe that coating off with a cloth.)

You can imagine what that was doing to all the separate brush hairs/bristles. Quite a few of my original Omega handles cracked due to this coating on all the bristles forcing the knot to expand:
Omega-10015-Problem-1_2017-01-20.jpg

Thankfully (courtesy of B&B) I discovered Citric Acid and now treat my tap water with it appropriately (~1:10,000 ratio).

HERE's my old Citric Acid discovery thread for anyone that's interested.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I collect Merkurs to shave with when I'm off my meds. I thought about getting a Merkur Vision at one point. The deal breaker was the high maintenance. It's a lot for a zamak razor. My Merkur Progress was enough. It is a cool looking razor though.

I read here that it's stainless steel, Rave. I have no personal knowledge either way.

1632416008756.png
Good luck finding one, Rave.​

Of course I do know you're one very lucky gentleman, Rave.

Happy shaves,

Jim

• Haha
Reactions: Cal

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I believe you are suggesting I add an anodizing step.

go-for-it-you-can-do-it.gif

I was thinking more about maybe a material change. Copper might work but it would need polishing and cleaning more often. not that any of us are against doing that haha.

Good going so far on the reno work Doug. It'll get there.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.

It kinda sorta makes zamac look good, doesn't it?

Nope. See them made ⬆ here ⬆

:pipe:It doesn't get any more convincing that that, Rave.

Also, notice the plastic!

Very interesting video. The razor is much more complicated in its construction than the basic takedown for cleaning videos indicate. I'd think this video would be universally appreciated by all B&B members.

All that aside, the Vision is said to be a great shaver at least according to Gus @GlazedBoker who knows a thing or two about adjustables. He rekindled my long dormant interest in the Merkur Vision. When I was first interested in them you could actually order one. They were discontinued by then, but still in stock here and there. Not now. (Unless you know better of course.)

Travel Case. Razor. Karve.640..png

Would the Merkur Vision fit inside my Karve Razor Travel Case? (Probably the real question is would it fit inside my shave den?) That sucker looks huge!

Happy shaves,

Jim

Last edited:

It kinda sorta makes zamac look good, doesn't it?

:pipe:It doesn't get any more convincing that that, Rave.

Also, notice the plastic!

Very interesting video. The razor is much more complicated in its construction than the basic takedown for cleaning videos indicate. I'd think this video would be universally appreciated by all B&B members.

All that aside, the Vision is said to be a great shaver at least according to Gus @GlazedBoker who knows a thing or two about adjustables. He rekindled my long dormant interest in the Merkur Vision. When I was first interested in them you could actually order one. They were discontinued by then, but still in stock here and there. Not now. (Unless you know better of course.)

View attachment 1333179

Would the Merkur Vision fit inside my Karve Razor Travel Case? (Probably the real question is would it fit inside my shave den?) That sucker looks huge!

Happy shaves,

Jim
I couldn't get one of those things through my doorway. They are ridiculously proportioned.

(Says the guy who owns 5 Stahly Live Blades).

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Friday. Still not shaving.

Before my shower I noticed what looked like (maybe) a bit of peeling around the edges of my "areas." (There are four areas to the right of my mouth and lower.)

After my shower I could see the areas are a lot better. Not well yet, but significantly improved.

I then applied hyaluronic acid to the my face having notice my skin being a bit dry. (I've not used it in a couple of days I think.)

Following that application I noticed some redness (like inflammation) in the areas.

:pipe:
I'll see where this goes...​

Happy shaves,

Jim

Top Bottom