What's new

Damn Comfortable Shave

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Friday. Still not shaving.

Before my shower I noticed what looked like (maybe) a bit of peeling around the edges of my "areas." (There are four areas to the right of my mouth and lower.)

After my shower I could see the areas are a lot better. Not well yet, but significantly improved.

I then applied hyaluronic acid to the my face having notice my skin being a bit dry. (I've not used it in a couple of days I think.)

Following that application I noticed some redness (like inflammation) in the areas.

:pipe:
I'll see where this goes...​

Happy shaves,

Jim

It sounds like you may be having a reaction to something in one, or some combination, of the products you are using?

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
It sounds like you may be having a reaction to something in one, or some combination, of the products you are using?

That's for sure a possibility, but I am pretty sure the origin of the primary problem is something done with a blade.

I'm exploring all the options as much as I can.

My areas look a lot better (less red) this afternoon than this morning. (Right after I applied the hyaluronic acid).

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Another possibility (I just thought of this): I did a little bit of skin stretching. That could have been the problem.

Skin stretching other than facial contortions and tongue pushing and Trumpet blowing has historically been a Big No No for me.

I'm not sure if the little bit of SS I did caused these areas, but maybe it did (along with, obviously, a blade).

1632519884457.png

I'm beginning to show.​

Happy shaves,

Jim

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
View attachment 1333141

I was thinking more about maybe a material change. Copper might work but it would need polishing and cleaning more often. not that any of us are against doing that haha.

Good going so far on the reno work Doug. It'll get there.
I have some C954 Bronze that plan on using for handles. Tough material.

The flooring guys finally showed up on Wednesday, and we just picked up my wife's car from the body shop, things are definitely looking up.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I have some C954 Bronze that plan on using for handles. Tough material.

The flooring guys finally showed up on Wednesday, and we just picked up my wife's car from the body shop, things are definitely looking up.

C954-rectangle-square-pl.jpg

That could work. I have no idea what colour it would tarnish to though.

Flooring goes fast. They should be in and out quickly. Progress is a good thing.

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
That could work. I have no idea what colour it would tarnish to though.

Flooring goes fast. They should be in and out quickly. Progress is a good thing.
Karve uses C954 Bronze, but as Cal @Cal says, his isn't going to tarnish.

The Family Room needed quite a bit of leveling, as it was originally the back patio, but the flooring guys say they should finish up Saturday. With any luck, my daughter should be putting things in her new bedroom on Sunday, her birthday. :LMS

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
1632576614155.png

It definitely does work. (Handle nose and tail pieces above.)

Karve uses C954 Bronze, but as Cal @Cal says, his isn't going to tarnish.

I thought my Karve razors were brass. Just looked on their website to find it says, "The entire razor is constructed from solid brass and is bead blasted for a subtle matte finish. As is the case with all uncoated brass items, a patina will form over time and the surfaces will darken."

I'm not saying you're wrong, Doug, as I know you're an expert. I'm just confused here. I don't know jack about metals.

5-8-21.Karve-F(brand new).Sem-LE-3 band.Vitos.640.JPG

Timeless says their bronze ➡razor is made of C954 Bronze

⬅ Is my Karve the same metal?​
4-24-21.CH2.Best.TimelessBronzeSB.Vitos.640.JPG

Returning to Cal's handle, I'm a bit confused or maybe my eyes are playing tricks on me. (Or the photo is.)

To me Cal's GT handle looks more or less the same color from neck to tailpipe. I'm not saying I don't see a difference from the color of the aluminum (I think it's aluminum) section in the middle and the ends, but all are more or less the look of chrome, or nickel, or some other shiny, silvery metal, as is the head. I recognize differences, but there are a lot of similarities from the top of the razor cap to the bottom of the handle.

I would think bronze of any sort would have a different color, a bronze color. Like the Timeless razor.

Are you saying the particular C954 bronze only looks like bronze when it tarnishes, or are my eyes deceiving me, or what?

School me, please.

In any case, it's a great looking handle on Cal's razor.

In my opinion, it might look even better with the neck and tail pipe in some shade of a bronze color. If it were my handle I'd let it tarnish to find out assuming it would be easy to restore to the current color.

Zenith.Copper.boar.Manchurian.2.640.7-14-18.JPG
8-15-21.WR2.1.15.Vitos.Z-Manchurian-Copper.640.JPG

These handles are copper and show various levels of tarnish. The boar on the far left is brand new I think and devoid of tarnish. It's neighbor is my Manchurian at perhaps its most tarnished point since I acquired it. The same Manchurian on the right had been polished with Flitz and a duster (English meaning of duster) for about a minute; I'm pretty sure I could have restored it to the shine of the handle on the far left but didn't want to.

To me, all the handles in their various levels of tarnish and polish look great. That doesn't mean tarnish looks good to anyone else.

My wife much prefers copper to have a somewhat extreme patina.

1632575900274.png
I believe this Rodin is bronze verdigris.​

She would love to have ⬆ these ⬇ somewhere around the house. Who wouldn't.

This is copper verdigris.

There are many varieties of verdigris​
1632576091003.png

The only way I know anything about any of this is because my wife is an artist and somewhat into what artists call color theory. I don't know anything about any of it other than what I like. I like verdigris, too, but had no idea what it was called or what it was about until she received as wedding gifts two copper lamps which were "wrong" as they'd been treated to always remain shiny.

Maybe I should "fix" the lamps?

My understanding is copper, brass, and bronze can naturally assume these colors. The colors can be hurried along by using various chemicals, too, perhaps.

Or, not.

Sorry for getting away from the topic which is "school me."

The Family Room needed quite a bit of leveling, as it was originally the back patio, but the flooring guys say they should finish up Saturday. With any luck, my daughter should be putting things in her new bedroom on Sunday, her birthday. :LMS

Just when you have time and feel like it, Doug. I know you have a lot going on. Happy birthday to your daughter. What great gifts for her, a new bedroom + a new family room.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Saturday. I shaved around my "areas."

9-25-21.WR2.1.15.CH2-SB.Vitos.640.JPG

I carefully avoided putting the blade to my bothersome areas. It wasn't hard to do, certainly not as hard as I thought it might be. The areas were certainly avoided.

The areas have very few whiskers so I got a pretty darn good shave albeit a very simple shave with very little work. Remarkable how good a shave it seems to have been with so little work.

Damaged skin. Mine.9-25-21.640.JPG

Here's a photo of my damaged skin, post shave. I think there's another tiny area which isn't in the photo, but it's so close to completely healed, normal skin that I ignored it today both during the shave and during the photo shoot. Perhaps the razor went over that area. (I don't really know.) If so, it might serve as a control.

I think these areas look a bit worse following my shower and shave. They were washed and lathered.

No post shave products, but I used the Cube/Tube as usual, and a flipped Polsilver blade.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Wise choice. Save the high-test corticosteroids for poison ivy/oak/sumac

The dermatologist gave the high test OTC to me for a rash (She calls it eczema but I know eczema is doctor for rash.) It's a rash I sometimes get between the fingers of my left hand, and scratch, and can't get rid of. The strong Rx ointment clears it up straight away. The dermatologist says use it for a week or two, but the longest I've used it is a day or two. It works a treat.

Happy shaves,

Jim

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
Nice!

The OTC hydrocortisone shouldn’t put you at as high a risk for skin thinning as the better creams/lotions/ointments, so they’re a less risky way to see what happens. Seeing the doctor, as Dave suggested, is always recommended, but experimentalist eczematics gonna experiment.

Cutting down on caffeinated drinks, supplementing with a little less than a teaspoon of MCT oil daily, and unhealthy fad dieting has limited my eczema flareups.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Nice!

The OTC hydrocortisone shouldn’t put you at as high a risk for skin thinning as the better creams/lotions/ointments, so they’re a less risky way to see what happens. Seeing the doctor, as Dave suggested, is always recommended, but experimentalist eczematics gonna experiment.

Cutting down on caffeinated drinks, supplementing with a little less than a teaspoon of MCT oil daily, and unhealthy fad dieting has limited my eczema flareups.

I get very little in the way of rashes and eczema.

I am sure this is not eczema but a blade-caused problem. Now, why a blade did it is an unknown. Maybe I've been using too many "aggressive" razors or bad technique.

It's an interesting problem but I'd rather not have it to be interested in.

The great thing is I can shave around the areas. (As I discovered today.)

Happy shaves,

Jim

Last edited:

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
I am sure this is not eczema but a blade-caused problem.

Well… why not both? Assuming this is eczema, autoimmune responses to mechanical stress aren’t unknown.

I don’t know what/why you’re experiencing upset lower face (that’s the medical term, innit?), but hope for its swift clearing up.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Well… why not both? Assuming this is eczema, autoimmune responses to mechanical stress aren’t unknown.

I don’t know what/why you’re experiencing upset lower face (that’s the medical term, innit?), but hope for its swift clearing up.

Good point.

I think it's an inflammatory response but seriously doubt anything autoimmune. (Not that I am a
dermatopathologist.)

Having had this not long ago, and having had it clear up, and having had it happen again...well, I think that tells me my old rule of thumb is likely at play here.

The Rule: Overdoing _______ causes the problems. (The question is what goes in the blank.)

Happy shaves,

Jim

Top Bottom