What's new

Damn Comfortable Shave

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I'm pretty sure you'll be glad you're not still there Jim.

LIVE Dorian  US landfall with flooding and violent winds as rain batters the Carolinas.png

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I'm pretty sure you'll be glad you're not still there Jim.

View attachment 1014587

It's impossible to know from here, but my wife (who has been closely monitoring things including a webcam live in Holden Beach) is convinced we would have been fine. The webcam is working which means there's power and internet; good signs.

I'm not so sure. The storm looks to have come as close to Holden Beach as anywhere. In any case, the authorities (the ones with guns and arrest powers) closed the island so we had no choice.

I suspect little damage there especially compared to the hurricane of about a year ago which did great damage. There are a few condemned properties on the beach from last year's storm.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I have no idea where these places are so I just had a look.

Screenshot_2019-09-06 Holden Beach to Fripp Island.png

The hurricane is only moving at 15mph so it might be awhile until its that far north. I'll be curious to see how it is when it does get there.

Hmmm. It looks like its there.

Screenshot_2019-09-06 Virginia Enhanced Weather Satellite Map - AccuWeather com.png

It doesnt seem like much of a storm judging by the live feed you posted.

Last edited:

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Friday's shave was very good.

Friday.Last Day of Vacation.2019.Kit..JPG

Swapped out for a different Japanese razor today (different from the one which went to the beach). This one has a very interesting edge. It doesn't seem gloriously sharp but it shaves very well indeed.

This was straight razor shave number 306.

Yesterday my face was not shaved so I had a bit more to mow today, but I think that sometimes makes the shave easier and maybe better as well as giving skin a bit of time to regroup.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Saturday's shave was excellent.

9-7-19.1880.Kit.640.(Honed by Corey.JPG

Today's razor, my Feon 1880, was honed by the vendor. I've been noticing that my sharpest razors distinguish themselves by delivering an excellent first pass. Usually I'll improve the shave with more work, but today I left it at one.

proxy.php

Everything was nice today. This is a very nice brush!

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Just trucking along...

proxy.php

...and counting my straight razor shaves.

My shave this fine Sunday was good.

9-8-19.Tanifuji.Kit.640.JPG

Here's a link to the previous use of this nice Tanifuji edge.

This edge certainly passes my top tests for shave readiness. That means I can get a "good" shave in one pass, going mostly S-N except on my upper and lower lips and chin.

Today's brush is fairly small, 24mm, but it performs very well. One of its most outstanding features is its handle. Actually, I'd call this handle what it feels like. It's not a handle, it's a knob. Most brushes have handles which feel like handles but this one doesn't.

I believe the edge can be sharper, but that doesn't mean it's lacking at present.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Monday's shave was excellent.

9-9-19.Wade.Kit.640.JPG

The edge on this Wade is perfect. That's not news but it's worth celebrating. One pass gives me a great shave. Two passes are even better.

Cremo + Bay Rum (favorites). 480:Small..JPG

This makes it even better.

My skin was a bit "overdone" feeling for a few days, but now it's back to my normal.

proxy.php

Damn Comfortable Shave indeed!

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Tuesday's shave was good. Not as good as Monday's but good.

9-10-19.WideTorrey.Kit.640.JPG

Nice edge. Could I get it a smidgeon sharper?

I love this scent. Plus, it persists in a subtle way.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I've not shaved yet, but...

Shovelglove. John Henry & Me..jpg

I have done Shovelglove. Lots of bang for the buck with this workout which I do Monday through Fridays unless it's a real holiday (like Christmas).

The statue is John Henry if you remember the song.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
"Fruit Jar Guzzlers". Great name! lol

They remind me a family I knew and deer hunted with, with hounds, outside of Seeley's Bay Ontario back in the bush. I worked and hunted with one of the five sons, Dan, for 15 years doing siding and windows.

After the hunting was done and the deer hanging, the old man would get on the phone and make a few calls while the sons lit a fire. The mother and daughters got the foods and drinks ready. The next thing you knew there was a line of old pickup trucks rattling down the driveway and out they came. Guitars, banjos, some even played spoons. The old man though, he played the fiddle and I'll tell ya, he was damn good at it too.

Lotta memories there.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
"Fruit Jar Guzzlers". Great name! lol

They remind me a family I knew and deer hunted with, with hounds, outside of Seeley's Bay Ontario back in the bush. I worked and hunted with one of the five sons, Dan, for 15 years doing siding and windows.

After the hunting was done and the deer hanging, the old man would get on the phone and make a few calls while the sons lit a fire. The mother and daughters got the foods and drinks ready. The next thing you knew there was a line of old pickup trucks rattling down the driveway and out they came. Guitars, banjos, some even played spoons. The old man though, he played the fiddle and I'll tell ya, he was damn good at it too.

Lotta memories there.

upload_2019-9-11_13-58-38.jpeg

I went to a party where the host's father played a saw. I don't remember if it was a rip saw or a cross cut saw but it was just a standard saw like every carpenter or homeowner has. He could seriously play it. Was going to play, if memory serves me, at the rich folk's Presbyterian church the next day, during the main service. He was something else on the saw.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
View attachment 1016009

I went to a party where the host's father played a saw. I don't remember if it was a rip saw or a cross cut saw but it was just a standard saw like every carpenter or homeowner has. He could seriously play it. Was going to play, if memory serves me, at the rich folk's Presbyterian church the next day, during the main service. He was something else on the saw.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Danny used to play with a saw, he wasnt much good at it though. He's better with a hammer lol.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Wednesday's shave was pretty good.

9-11-19.Tanifuji.Kit.640.JPG

This razor was honed some today because I wasn't terribly pleased with the edge the other day. It's somewhat better, but still not where I believe it can be.

The Wade and the ERN razors have better edges.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
My Thursday shave was nice.

9-12-19.ERN.Kit.640.JPG

This razor, my ATOR | ERN | Wald, is a delightful shaver. The edge is really quite nice.

I noticed after the first pass, more or less S-N, this was going to be a good shave. From there I did a second lathered pass on my neck. Also there was some E-W, N-S, and S-N upper lip work. My lower lip and chin received more than one lathered pass as well. I trimmed my sideburns going N-S, too.

In short I didn't do a lot of work but I got a lot of shave.

This is a brush I usually enjoy using. Today I enjoyed it more than usual. Why? Not a clue.

All in all, a very nice shave and I still smell great about five hours later (and great in a subtle way). What a nice bay rum!

Happy shaves,

Jim

Top Bottom