What's new

Damn Comfortable Shave

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Wednesday's shave was late.

FirstWednesday.Kit.640.Torrey.JPG

This razor, my wide Torrey, always performs.

More work would have resulted in an even better shave, but I took as much time as I felt like taking. The shave was good enough for eating in an order-at-the-counter, eat-with-a-plastic-fork seafood joint. My tuna was very good, but neither my wife nor her friend were at all pleased with their shrimp.

This place has an ice cream parlor which has the very best ice cream anybody I know who has eaten it has ever had. That fixed the lousy shrimp problem(s) right fast. We're talking no traffic and maybe a quarter or half mile of driving from seafood joint to ice cream store. They are very proud of their ice cream and should be.

Happy shaves to you,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
My Thursday shave was very late, but also very good.

FirstFriday.Wade.640.Holden.2019.JPG

I took this picture this morning. The Wade's on the arm of the porch swing, and it's very sharp. My shave Thursday night was very good indeed.

I also used other stuff to shave of course.
  • Zenith Manchurian, copper handled.
  • Grooming Dept soap, Preshave, Serum.
  • The great water on this island.
The shaves so far on this vacation have certainly exceeded in their results the amount of work done. Is this the water? Is it that I've been using warm water (which I never do)?

11-4-18.Wade&Butcher.640.Honed.WoodenScalesSplit (1).JPG 11-6-18.W&B.Kit.640.JPGBrokenSceales.Wade.6-4-19.640.JPG

This Wade arrived with the wooden scales pictured. Split wooden scales which I tightened and used until they just had to be removed. I really liked the blade. Months later I put scales on it, but broke them in the pinning process. Later I put the current scales on. This set of scales was given to me by a member. Finally I got it right. Then, with a ton of honing the edge was fixed again. It's a very very good edge now.

The Wade was worth the trouble. For a good Wade blade the original price was right, too. As I recall it was about $33.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Today's shave was very good.

ERN.FirstFriday.Holden.2019.640.JPG

This is a very nice razor with a very nice edge.

My kit was as usual this week. I did use the splash, but nothing else post shave.

2019.FirstFriday.Holden.640JPG.JPG

The water's not really blue like this and the sand is a lot prettier, but this is the water from my beach chair in the late afternoon. The water temperature is pleasant enough. Certainly not cold enough to keep anyone out (Jaws does that).

Happy shaves,

Jim

Today's shave was very good.

View attachment 1012651

This is a very nice razor with a very nice edge.

My kit was as usual this week. I did use the splash, but nothing else post shave.

View attachment 1012650

The water's not really blue like this and the sand is a lot prettier, but this is the water from my beach chair in the late afternoon. The water temperature is pleasant enough. Certainly not cold enough to keep anyone out (Jaws does that).

Happy shaves,

Jim

We just spent a week on Tybee Island. Went into the water twice, waist deep. And I was constantly watching the water for jaws. Once my wife and son had enough we went swimming in the pool. I swear, it's only pools and lakes for me from now on. And cold water mountain lakes at that. Too many parasites in the warmer lake waters. Also snakes and alligators. I only go where I know I'm at the top of the food chain.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
We just spent a week on Tybee Island. Went into the water twice, waist deep. And I was constantly watching the water for jaws. Once my wife and son had enough we went swimming in the pool. I swear, it's only pools and lakes for me from now on. And cold water mountain lakes at that. Too many parasites in the warmer lake waters. Also snakes and alligators. I only go where I know I'm at the top of the food chain.

Very good idea.

Nobody worried about it until Jaws. That movie changed everything.

Very good idea.

Nobody worried about it until Jaws. That movie changed everything.

Interestingly I was a teen when that movie came out. It didn’t even phase me in terms of swimming in the ocean and body surfing. I guess I internalized it as fiction. I didn’t come around to my real fear of the ocean until relatively recently when the number of sightings and attacks up in the northeast seems to have increased significantly. Interestingly enough I grew up on Long Island where Jaws was supposed to have taken place.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member

Theres a name and an avatar I havent seen for a while. Welcome back!

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Interestingly I was a teen when that movie came out. It didn’t even phase me in terms of swimming in the ocean and body surfing. I guess I internalized it as fiction. I didn’t come around to my real fear of the ocean until relatively recently when the number of sightings and attacks up in the northeast seems to have increased significantly. Interestingly enough I grew up on Long Island where Jaws was supposed to have taken place.

Mike's post led me to review your posting history. I knew I hadn't seen the avatar in a while, at least not much, at least not on new posts. I discovered you've returned after a thirteen month absence.

Welcome back, sir. I always enjoyed your posts and am glad you've returned.

When folks disappear I suspect many of us wonder why, and some of us worry about them sometimes. Not that anybody around here is supposed to inform us of their plans of course.

I've given a few friends my wife's contact information in case I disappear. One never knows about the Grim Reaper.

I'm healthy and come from a long lived family so I'll probably be around a long time.

I hope you stick around.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Mike's post led me to review your posting history. I knew I hadn't seen the avatar in a while, at least not much, at least not on new posts. I discovered you've returned after a thirteen month absence.

Welcome back, sir. I always enjoyed your posts and am glad you've returned.

When folks disappear I suspect many of us wonder why, and some of us worry about them sometimes. Not that anybody around here is supposed to inform us of their plans of course.

I've given a few friends my wife's contact information in case I disappear. One never knows about the Grim Reaper.

I'm healthy and come from a long lived family so I'll probably be around a long time.

I hope you stick around.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Yes. I’m back, thanks to the Mod Jim. He graciously allowed me back after I was banned back in July of 2018 for a political post. That wan’t my only transgression but suffice it to say I deserved to be banned. I’m glad to be back as I’ve missed some of you. But I’ve also found 5 other shaving forums while I was away so I’ve fed my various addictions quite easily. And unfortunately you can’t really let people know you’ve been banned unless you have email addresses. It’s good to be back Jim. And i don’t plan on leaving again.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Saturday's shave was hurried.

2ndSaturday.Spalding.CopperManchurian.640JPG.JPG

The Spalding isn't as sharp as the other razors I've used this week. Still, I think its edge may be improving. That sounds a bit crazy.

Something's great about this week's shaves.

FirstFriday.Sunset.Nice.880.JPG

Sunset last night.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Sunday's shave was very good.

Wade.2ndSunday.Holden.9-1-19.640.JPG

This is my trusty, sharp, comfortable Wade. Nice indeed.

We're having a King Tide.

KingTide.Houses.640.9-1-19.JPG

Taking this picture I was standing where we usually put our umbrellas up which is right above the usual high tide line. I've been coming to this beach for decades and have never seen the tide anywhere near this high.

BeachBluff&Man.9-1-19.640.JPG SeeSurfers?640.9-1-19.JPG
FromUmbrellaArea.9-1-19.Holden.JPG

Here (above photo) I'm standing where we usually put our umbrellas looking at a new "river" and a bluff several feet high. The photo above it shows much the same thing and more.

KingTide.LookingWest.640.9-1-19.JPG LookingWest.Holden.9-1-19.640.JPG

LookingEast.Holden.Sept.1.2019.Sunday.JPG KingTide.LookingWest.640.9-1-19.JPG

It was impressive this morning.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Top Bottom