What's new

Damn Comfortable Shave

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Here's another handle on my Old Type. This appeals to me much more, visually, that the handle I used last evening. The proportions looks much better to me.

OldType.Cap.Bulldog.640.5-18.NiceJPG.JPG

This is an iKon Bulldog handle.

OldType.Head.Side.Bulldog.640.5-18.JPG OldType.Bulldog.Side.640.5-18.JPG iKonBulldog.OldType.Bottom.640.5-18.JPG OldType.iKonBulldog.640.5-18JPG.JPG

From whatever angle I look at it, it looks better, but that doesn't tell me anything about the shave.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Saturday's shave was late, but good.

OldType.Bulldog.Kit.5-19-18,640JPG.JPG

Even though it's not been 24 hours since I shaved, today's shave was late. It's almost 2 PM now.

The Old Type with the iKon Bulldog handle and a Blue Diamond blade (2) did just fine. A good, close, shave. Probably better than my average shave. Very impressive for a razor I've now used twice.

The comfort during the shave was okay. It wasn't as comfortable as my initial shave (yesterday afternoon) but my skin usually has longer to recover + during this shave I paid no attention to shaving at a shallow angle + I did many more passes. Considering all that, my skin feels pretty good right now. We'll see how it goes as the day goes on.

Today's was a nice kit all around.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Sunday's shave was very good.

5-20-18.OldType.iKon.AquaVelva.640.JPG

Again today I used the Old Type. I will replace this iKon SS handle with something lighter but it will do for now. This razor with a Blue Diamond (3) shaves really well. Smooth enough my shaves are feeling, but they're also impressively smooth and close in their results. I'm getting none of the neck itching I sometimes get with DE razors.

Martin de Cadre is a superior shaving soap. It's one of my, "Why do I use anything else?" soaps. Great stuff.

The Zenith Manchurian was great today. If there was any scritch I didn't notice it at all, but I wasn't paying much attention so I couldn't swear there was none. What I mean is I was enjoying the brush and the lather, so I could have missed something, but I doubt it. I don't like scritch and usually notice it if there's more than a tiny tad.

Aqua Velva is certainly a splash I must have used decades ago. I'd guess. I don't remember using it for sure. I enjoyed it today. Not a whole lot of scent and not a persistent scent in the way I think of persistent scents, but it sure left a nice feel on my skin and that feel persisted for a few minutes even with an application of moisturizer soon after the AV application.

Handle.NotMine.jpg

This is not the handle I'm going to use, but mine will be similar. Cal's Old Type appeals to me visually, and I believe this handle is proportioned correctly and likely to be the proper weight and length.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Again today I used the Old Type. I will replace this iKon SS handle with something lighter but it will do for now. This razor with a Blue Diamond (3) shaves really well. Smooth enough my shaves are feeling, but they're also impressively smooth and close in their results. I'm getting none of the neck itching I sometimes get with DE razors.

I like that handle Jim, but I suspect I"d like it more if it was bored out like the Fatip Grande handle.

I need to have a look at current stock at Maggard.

Handle Only | Product Categories | Maggard Razors Traditional Wet Shaving Products

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I like that handle Jim, but I suspect I"d like it more if it was bored out like the Fatip Grande handle.

I need to have a look at current stock at Maggard.

Handle Only | Product Categories | Maggard Razors Traditional Wet Shaving Products

The certainly have some nice handles, Mike. There are loads of nice handles these days. I'm fine with the iKon Bulldog but it is awfully shiny and it is heavy. I suspect Cal's right, and the fat handled Tech's handle is going to be just right. If not, I have several choices, and know where to find plenty more.

It's interesting how so many modern handles are SS and so few are nickel plated brass.

I wouldn't be surprised if your local antique store has a fat handled Tech.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
The certainly have some nice handles, Mike. There are loads of nice handles these days. I'm fine with the iKon Bulldog but it is awfully shiny and it is heavy. I suspect Cal's right, and the fat handled Tech's handle is going to be just right. If not, I have several choices, and know where to find plenty more.

It's interesting how so many modern handles are SS and so few are nickel plated brass.

I wouldn't be surprised if your local antique store has a fat handled Tech.

Happy shaves,

Jim

I think he had two.

IMG_2637.JPG

The second from the left is the made in England whatever razor with a fat Tech handle. The Tech to the right of it I think had the proper handle for the English Old Whatever Type.

Thats a solid Ball End handle and its cleaned up a bit and in its proper place now.

IMG_2648.jpg

The Canadian Old with the NEW common bar handle is also cleaned up a bit.

Front to back: Canadian Old/common bar. Single Ring. Made in England Old Whatever Type/Ball End. Grande.

IMG_2652.JPG

A casual observer might think I had a thing for OC razors and I was a.....collector. Good thing I just started building another shelf today lol.

Check this thread.

Even Joel isn't usually this lucky.

That’s a heck of a haul. And free no less!

I’m gone for a day or two, come back to both Jim AND Mike using Old Types?
proxy.php

What the **** happened? Did I walk into the twilight zone? Mike not using a Fatip (and actually liking it as much as a Fatip?!?!) and Jim enjoying a DE razor? I’m so confused.

proxy.php

On a serious note: I enjoyed my RazoRock OLD type more than most other DEs I used. I wasn’t a big fan of the Schone. Mike @Esox mentioned in his thread that the Old Type has less blade exposure, and I wonder if the Schone just had too much for me. One of these years I may end up looking into an Old Type. SWMBO would kill me if I pursued any new razors right now though...

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
That’s a heck of a haul. And free no less!

proxy.php

What the **** happened? Did I walk into the twilight zone? Mike not using a Fatip (and actually liking it as much as a Fatip?!?!) and Jim enjoying a DE razor? I’m so confused.

proxy.php

On a serious note: I enjoyed my RazoRock OLD type more than most other DEs I used. I wasn’t a big fan of the Schone. Mike @Esox mentioned in his thread that the Old Type has less blade exposure, and I wonder if the Schone just had too much for me. One of these years I may end up looking into an Old Type. SWMBO would kill me if I pursued any new razors right now though...

You snooze, you lose, right?

proxy.php

The Old Type has surprisingly little blade exposure for a razor so efficient. It challenges me to figure out what makes it such a good razor. It does not have enough blade exposure to be this efficient; that's a fact. Well, obviously what it is is a fact that makes my paradigms wrong.

I'm sure a lot the examples found on eBay are damaged (bent teeth, bent baseplate, bent cap). These are not the most substantial razor heads I've ever seen, and they are, well, old razors. However, Old Types are plentiful. Particularly the ones from 1921 and on seem to be both in good supply and are perhaps less subject to having been damaged because the design is a bit simpler.

I have in transit a Single Ring (from BST), but the non-Single Ring Old Type I'm using now shaves really well. Amazingly well. My Old Type travel razor which I bought a good many months ago and just got around to using cost only a bit over $10 as I recall. It's not pretty, but it's not too ugly either. The teeth are not 100% mint perfect, but there is actually not enough alignment issue to be any sort of problem, not even visually. I have to look carefully to see the "damage." The baseplate is not bent as far as I can tell (visually or in the shave).

In other words, these Old Types are not expensive unless you want a Single Ring in a case both of which are in very good condition (and even then, how could your really know what you're getting because you can't see whether the baseplate is slight bent without putting a blade in it).

proxy.php

Joel, this is a very good razor. Better for me that any other DE I've used.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Monday's shave was very good. Again.

5-21-18.640.OT.iKon.Mondial.MdC.JPG

Blue Diamond (4) in the Old Type is going strong. What a nice razor this is!

As I would have guessed, oops, not guessed, expected, this kit was stellar.

The Mondial still has a tiny bit of stritch. Not enough to bother me though, and I don't like stritch. It is an interesting and very good brush. I'm so glad I acquired this one. It might be my favorite boar. OTOH, I have several boars which might be my favorite.

MdC always comes through. Today I messed up the loading by using a brush which was on the wet side of damp. Even being too wet for my usual method, the soap and the method worked out fine. I just had to add a bit of product to the brush during the first phase of my method. The lather ended up as usual, and the soap's performance couldn't be beat.

I like this splash and balm.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
proxy.php

I'm as surprised as you are lol.

We've ended up in a parallel universe somehow. Never mind rabbit holes, wormholes have entered the equation.

You snooze, you lose, right?

proxy.php

The Old Type has surprisingly little blade exposure for a razor so efficient. It challenges me to figure out what makes it such a good razor. It does not have enough blade exposure to be this efficient; that's a fact. Well, obviously what it is is a fact that makes my paradigms wrong.

I'm sure a lot the examples found on eBay are damaged (bent teeth, bent baseplate, bent cap). These are not the most substantial razor heads I've ever seen, and they are, well, old razors. However, Old Types are plentiful. Particularly the ones from 1921 and on seem to be both in good supply and are perhaps less subject to having been damaged because the design is a bit simpler.

I have in transit a Single Ring (from BST), but the non-Single Ring Old Type I'm using now shaves really well. Amazingly well. My Old Type travel razor which I bought a good many months ago and just got around to using cost only a bit over $10 as I recall. It's not pretty, but it's not too ugly either. The teeth are not 100% mint perfect, but there is actually not enough alignment issue to be any sort of problem, not even visually. I have to look carefully to see the "damage." The baseplate is not bent as far as I can tell (visually or in the shave).

In other words, these Old Types are not expensive unless you want a Single Ring in a case both of which are in very good condition (and even then, how could your really know what you're getting because you can't see whether the baseplate is slight bent without putting a blade in it).

proxy.php

Joel, this is a very good razor. Better for me that any other DE I've used.

Happy shaves,

Jim

I dont get it either. These razors are like magic.

They clearly have enough blade exposure. Maybe its the thickness, or rather thinness of the head that makes the difference. I dont know.

Did you but the cased Single Ring for $50 I saw and was going to PM you about until I saw it was sold the other day?

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Blue Diamond (4) in the Old Type is going strong. What a nice razor this is!

As I would have guessed, oops, not guessed, expected, this kit was stellar.

Is it better than your injectors though Jim?

You really seem to be enjoying it...

I have a fresh Feather loaded in my Single Ring for today.

Top Bottom