What's new

D-Ring vs "Heavy Handle" (Paddle Handle)

What are your thoughts on a strop with a D-Ring vs a Heavy Handle, or as I think of it as a paddle handle? I am used to the heavy handle and have not used a D-Ring. I am thinking the D-Ring would be a little less safe and may be less comfortable, especially if stropping several blades in a row.

Of course, the D-Ring is less expensive (at least with the Tony Miller strops).

Any other pros or cons between the two?

Thanks!

Last edited:

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I have used both types and my preference is for the D ring. It seams to give me better and more consistent control of the strop tension.

I have used both types and my preference is for the D ring. It seams to give me better and more consistent control of the strop tension.
Ahhh.. that makes sense. It does seem like I am sometimes trying to adjust the angle of the strop while using.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Mind you, I rarely strop more that one blade in a session, occasionally two. I have never felt that the D ring was not as safe or uncomfortable.

I had the same concerns before I bought a cheap strop for the son.

I had always used a paddle handle and suspected the D ring might be an issue. I have been surprised to find that there is no issue and would buy a Tony Miller were it not for the shipping costs/exchange rates :(

I like the one you bought, she looks like a beauty.

I prefer no hardware at all.

B40FE482-F7C1-4EF5-9C23-5F2ED465C29D.jpeg

I've used nothing but D-ring strops for the two years I've been straight shaving. I strop between 4 and 7 blades in a session once a week and have had no issues.

I haven't used a "heavy handled" strop, so I can't compare, but the D-ring is not a problem. At least not for me.

I prefer a barber's end/cut--no hardware. With D-rings attached with Chicago screws, I remove the hardware. With sewn handles, I ignore the handle and grip the leather at its point of attachment with the handle.

What are your thoughts on a strop with a D-Ring vs a Heavy Handle, or as I think of it as a paddle handle? I am used to the heavy handle and have not used a D-Ring. I am thinking the D-Ring would be a little less safe and may be less comfortable, especially if stropping several blades in a row.

Of course, the D-Ring is less expensive (at least with the Tony Miller strops).

Any other pros or cons between the two?

Thanks!

I have strops with both and honestly the D ring is better. It is MORE comfortable to me. Both are safe however, I feel like I have more control and more grip with D ring. So in a sense the D ring is safer.

I made a kangaroo strop with D rings. I'm used to them now, but I don't think it would be any more dangerous than a full handle. On the plus side it's easy to change ends if you happen to nick the strop.

Tony Miller

Speaking of horse butts…
I feel that D-ring grips on any maker's strops are really good for people who may have grip issues such as arthritis or carpal tunnel. You can simply loop a few fingers through the ring and pull without actually have to grip or squeeze with the hand.

Handles do look nice though and make the strop look more graceful when they are hanging on the wall. A wide strop with just a D-ring always looks a little stubby to me. (Nothing to do with function, just an artistic opinion :) )

Plain, straight cut ends are very traditional and work fine once you develop the right grip. I kind of lay the bottom across the side of my forefinger straightened out and pinch down with my thumb. This style really seems to have fallen out of favor now days though.

I feel that D-ring grips on any maker's strops are really good for people who may have grip issues such as arthritis or carpal tunnel. You can simply loop a few fingers through the ring and pull without actually have to grip or squeeze with the hand.

Handles do look nice though and make the strop look more graceful when they are hanging on the wall. A wide strop with just a D-ring always looks a little stubby to me. (Nothing to do with function, just an artistic opinion :) )

Plain, straight cut ends are very traditional and work fine once you develop the right grip. I kind of lay the bottom across the side of my forefinger straightened out and pinch down with my thumb. This style really seems to have fallen out of favor now days though.
Thanks Tony!

My current strop, with a heavy handle, is hanging on a closet doorknob in one of our spare rooms - and it bangs around a little when opening and closing it. It will be replaced by the one from you that's currently in the mail. The D-rings are really going to annoy my wife when opening and closing the closet. I might have to find a better place to hang it LOL!

Brian

Thanks Tony!

My current strop, with a heavy handle, is hanging on a closet doorknob in one of our spare rooms - and it bangs around a little when opening and closing it. It will be replaced by the one from you that's currently in the mail. The D-rings are really going to annoy my wife when opening and closing the closet. I might have to find a better place to hang it LOL!

Brian

You could always wrap the D-rings to keep them from clanking around. Something like this would work well and stylize the handles.

Top Bottom