What's new

D.R. Harris and Cyril R. Salter Shaving Soap Differences

I tried the new vegan formula Tabac for the first time last night. It is a very nice soap and still has a creamy consistency. My initial reaction is that the tallow formula has a slight edge in terms of performance and lather stability.
That edge may also become less of a factor as you learn to adapt to the new base. One thing about the vegetable oil based soaps is that they seem to work better with badger and synthetic brushes. The boar brushes work really well with the triple milled tallow soaps. Of least, that is my experience.

That edge may also become less of a factor as you learn to adapt to the new base. One thing about the vegetable oil based soaps is that they seem to work better with badger and synthetic brushes. The boar brushes work really well with the triple milled tallow soaps. Of least, that is my experience.
I've noticed the same. The vegetable based soaps, even when triple milled, are not as rock hard as those based on tallow. Allows them to work really well with my synthetics.

This is all a bit of a rich person's problem :) - these are all really good soaps. I agree with you about the brushes. In general, I prefer using a badger brush with vegan creams. That said, the new vegan formula Tabac works really well with a boar. I hope that I am not discouraging anyone from trying the new Tabac. It is a very nice soap!

Another tip for Tabac. If you don't care for the scent (which contains petitgrain), just leave it open in an out of the way place. I keep mine in an open glass dish and the scent is now very light - almost too light.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I have used the CRS in their Herbal Sandal wood cream and it has a very nice scent 6-7/10 and is not over whelming + excellent lather qualities. I would buy the Sandal wood again.
Just bought a tub of CRS of their Wild Rose cream recently and it has a 5/10 range scent + excellent lather qualities.
I have been very happy so far with these 2 excellent creams.

I have used the CRS in their Herbal Sandal wood cream and it has a very nice scent 6-7/10 and is not over whelming + excellent lather qualities. I would buy the Sandal wood again.
Just bought a tub of CRS of their Wild Rose cream recently and it has a 5/10 range scent + excellent lather qualities.
I have been very happy so far with these 2 excellent creams.
In addition to the CRS soap discussed above I also have their Wild Rose and French Vetiver creams that both deliver excellent lather. Vetiver scent, if you likd Vetiver, is easily 9/10. Wild Rose scent gets a lower score because while the aroma is excellent, the scent is relatively weak. Both creams are excellent values from Connaught at 8 GBP or around $10 U.S.

Update on D.R. Harris Windsor shaving soap. Used it for a second time today loading for an extra 30 seconds, roughly a minute and a half with my 26mm synthetic. This loaded a lot more soap compared to my first shave with this soap producing much better lather that was a lot closer to that from my Cyril R. Salter puck. Good overall shave. Will see if a boar brush works better next time I use this soap. Sensing D.R. Harris's tallow second formula takes more effort to lather compared to the tallow first formula that's in the Cyril R. Salter soap.
@Cleanface (follow up from our posts on MWF discontinued thread) and @Keyvan , I finally got around to using my D.R. Harris Windsor shaving soap with my boar brush. The boar made the difference allowing relatively easy generation of great lather for an excellent shave - as good as the Cyril R. Salter with my synthetic brushes. Now that I've dialed in this soap I'll continue using it with my boar brush. Given the price difference the Cyril R. Salter is the better value as I like both scents. D.R. Harris worth it for anyone who prefers their scents.

Details on the shave in my post via the link below:

I believe CRS and DRH have tallow, lanolin, and palm altogether I think?
Yes via two formulations where tallow is first or second. See the ingredient labels below. Note that D.R. Harris uses the formula shown for two soaps, including Windsor. For all its other soaps it uses the same base used by Cyril R.Salter. Palm fairly far down the list on the Cyril R. Salter. See my posts above comparing the two

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Yes and CRS and DRH are good alternatives to MWF given its recent reformulation without tallow.
Absolutely! :)
20230624_154709~2.jpg

Petrolatum (mineral oil) in the formula of D.R. Harris is not bad for the skin? :bayrum2:

It is often used by doctors for healing surgical scars and burn wounds. It's very frequently used in cosmetics like skin lotions, lip balm, etc. It holds moisture in the skin, and soothes irritation, which are desirable things.

It would be a bad idea to cover your skin with crude oil, but petrolatum is a highly refined product that is being used here in very dilute concentration.

Top Bottom