What's new

D.C.'s Mumbo Sauce: "The 2 words on everybody’s lips". :-)

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
I thought this was a interesting article from yesterday's Sunday Washington Post about D.C.'s Mumbo Sauce. :thumbsup:

"The Italians may have their marinara and the French their bearnaise, but for many D.C. natives, the sauce that captures the flavor of home is called mumbo. Few can tell you how it’s made or where it originated, but they know this: If you grew up in one of the mostly African American areas of the city, you’ve likely known the taste your entire life. If you didn’t, you probably have no idea what it is".

"The allure of mumbo sauce (also known as mambo sauce) is not just its flavor, which falls somewhere between barbecue and sweet-and-sour sauce. It’s the sense of identity it carries. It tells of roots in a city where many people just blow through".

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/mumbo-sauce-the-flavor-of-washington-that-isnt-the-president-and-the-politics/2011/07/14/gIQAFOqQII_story.html

Christopher
proxy.php
"Bon Appétit...Celebrating the Chef in You!!! Christopher

Attached Image - Anthony Baker, 63, squeezes mumbo sauce onto his plate at Smokey’s, a carryout in the District’s Petworth neighborhood. Mumbo's flavor falls somewhere between barbecue and sweet-and-sour.

Picture by Sarah L. Voisin / The Washington Post

Attachments

• $mumbo-8_1310769901.jpg
    $mumbo-8_1310769901.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 50
My dad always used to pick some up for the 4th of July at the O Street Market when he worked down there and it still existed. We'd put it on the turkey, hotdogs, everything. The description of a mix of bbq and sweet and sour sauces is pretty accurate.

Haven't had it in a long time.

Thanks, Count, for bring this to my attention. Now I know what it was that I slathered on my sandwich last time in D.C. I missed it, so I cooked up a small batch. Here's the recipe. Easy to make! Cross posted into the B&B Sauce Depository.

Mumbo Sauce

1 Cup ketchup (I used Heinz)
1 Cup sugar (I used Domino)
4 Tablespoons white vinegar (I used Heinz)
1 Tablespoons Hungarian Paprika (I used Budapest's Best)
3 Tablespoons Hot Sauce (I used Glory)
3 Tablespoons water (I used Columbus City water from the Dublin plant)

Combine everything in a sauce pot.
Bring to a boil over low heat while stirring constantly. Remove immediately.
Serve hot or cold. Store in the refrigerator. Use it on dang near everything.

Add no salt because it'll kill the sweet taste. The brand names are only suggestions. I can see that this simple recipe leaves room for a lot variations. Just changing the brand of ketchup or hot sauce could create a different taste. I'm already thinking of perhaps trying out other things in it, such a smoke flavor, brown sugar, garlic, or honey. Perhaps molasses would give it some extra flavor. Cider vinegar? Mediterranean sweet spice mix? Cinnamon?

I've never heard of it until reading this post. It definitely sounds interesting, and I think I'll try to whip some up myself. Thanks for the recipe, Jon!

There is a small deli behind the local Community College which I would always get mambo sauce on the fries. I thought it was his secret or something. It is amazing sauce. Hence why at 2am after the bars closed girls would frequently flash for free fries.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Take away the paprika, add garlic and it is the sauce that I use on my sweet and sour meatballs . . . served on a bed of rice. One of the few things I cooked when I first met my wife 19 years ago. Now I'll try adding the paprika.

Top Bottom