What's new

Cut Throat Razor

I'm glad I'm not the only one who doesn't care for the term. To me, it's...trying too hard. Like a guy who dresses up like a biker on weekends.
And yeah, it makes me skip past the eBay sellers who advertise "cut throat" razors.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
I'm glad I'm not the only one who doesn't care for the term. To me, it's...trying too hard. Like a guy who dresses up like a biker on weekends.
And yeah, it makes me skip past the eBay sellers who advertise "cut throat" razors.

By all means pass by these listings, no problem with me. If anything it is one less bid for me to buy something really good.
But you may be passing up on a really nice Wade and Butcher for example just because it is listed in another country.
Once you buy it you can call it what you like, I have on many occasions.

Here in NZ if I search our online auction site Trade Me with Straight Razor you will find no listings. Look for Cut Throat and there is pleanty.
I have picked up many a Bengell "Cut throat razors" at a bargin price, now I have a few great Bengall straight razors.

A rose by any other name would smell as sweet.

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
I had an inadvertent swallow happen while on the NS stoke right at the Adams's Apple on Monday. So, um, yeah, the term seems pretty bang on to me *sigh*

*warning: throat cut pic. No blood but a styptic-sealed cut
proxy.php

I had an inadvertent swallow happen while on the NS stoke right at the Adams's Apple on Monday. So, um, yeah, the term seems pretty bang on to me *sigh*

*warning: throat cut pic. No blood but a styptic-sealed cut
proxy.php

TRIGGERED!

I will now retreat to my safe space to recuperate.....

I have to agree that, even if you don't like the term yourself, passing up listings which do use the term might well be cutting off your nose to spite your face!

In the U.K. most people who shave with them will know what you mean by a "straight" but everyone will know what a cut throat is.

But I also agree - here in Austria it's "shave knife" which is a nice term for it

The term doesn't mean much to me one way or another. Now that I am using one every morning I have to admit that I shed much less red stuff with a straight razor in my hand. My personal throat really appreciates the switch to straight razors. I haven't had red stuff come out it quite a while.

That said, two of my favorite TV shows decided to use our favorite face tool in a very inappropriate manner. One show did use the straight razor as intended.

NCIS - Gibbs is caught using his straight razor to shave with... +1

NCIS New Orleans - a literal cut throat scene or was it two...

Blue Bloods - another literal cut throat scene

I'm in the UK and most people who are not interested in shaving would not know the term "straight razor" but would instantly know "cut throat".
It's like "side walk" and "pavement", "hood" and "bonnet" the list is endless!

Currently there is a bloke listing on ebay what he is pleased to call "Cut through" razors. I am undecided as to whether that term is more or less sinister than the traditional one!

C.

I think Doc is simply gaslighting all of us. He actually could care less about the terminology, he's just trying to scare folks away from his EBay poaching grounds!

i kinda see the term cut throat for straight razor like you would call a knife a stab-o-matic, or a baseball bat a bludgeon-er. but to each his own, i dont like the term because i feel it misrepresents the razor, but i wont shy away from listings that use the term.

Top Bottom