What's new

Cut Throat Razor

Doing some looking into the etymology of the term 'cut throat', I learned that it is British in origin - It seems from sometime in the mid-1800's. It also comes from the ability of crooks to easily hide the razor, a deadly weapon used in aggressive armed robbery and murder. That evolved into other uses of the term for dastardly things such as 'cut throat sales tactics' or 'cut throat competition'. Indeed, the term 'cut throat' itself has become synonymous with the term 'killer' and 'hit man'.

Now, I am not one who freely believes everything I read on the internet to be true and admit that I did not look into any resources to confirm if this is indeed fact, opinion, or something gleaned from a story book.

Last edited:
Doing some looking into the etymology of the term 'cut throat', I learned that it is British in origin - It seems from sometime in the mid-1800's. It also comes from the ability of crooks to easily hide the razor, a deadly weapon used in aggressive armed robbery and murder. That evolved into other uses of the term for dastardly things such as 'cut throat sales tactics' or 'cut throat competition'. Indeed, the term 'cut throat' itself has become synonymous with the term 'killer' and 'hit man'.

Now, I am not one who freely believes everything I read on the internet to be true and admit that I did not look into any resources to confirm if this if indeed fact, opinion, or something gleaned from a story book.

I can't attest to the accuracy either, but this seems quite logical. Considering England never had the gun culture that Americans have fully embraced, their weapons of choice for such dastardly deeds would have been sharp edge-ed devices. A straight would be both easy to find and conceal, and fairly innocuous if caught with one in your possession.

Addendum: I'm in agreeance with my Bingle buddy, Rory. It evokes quite the visceral historical image in my mind.

Last edited:
There was also a funny joke here a while back that made use of the cutthroat connection. I'll retell it quickly here. It was pitched as a Cajun joke but could be any culture.

A man settled into the chair at a barbershop for a shave and a manicure. He hit on the pretty manicurist, asking what she was doing that night. She replied that she was married, but that didn't deter him. She added, "To the man behind you holding the razor!"

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
I don't have a problem with the term cut throat at all. If you don't want to call them cut throats then also stop using terms like Chopper as well !

Razors have been used as a weapon on many ocassion in the past. This is why they are called a cut throat.
e.g. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Razor_gang
There is also many cases of people choosing to leave this world by misusing them back when every man had one. Sad but true.
Again it is the misuse that gave it its name.

I shave with a straight razor and have never cut my throat. I have no problem calling it a cut throat razor, after all these are not your multi blade lady shavers.

I don't have a problem with the term cut throat at all. If you don't want to call them cut throats then also stop using terms like Chopper as well !

Razors have been used as a weapon on many ocassion in the past. This is why they are called a cut throat.
e.g. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Razor_gang
There is also many cases of people choosing to leave this world by misusing them back when every man had one. Sad but true.
Again it is the misuse that gave it its name.

I shave with a straight razor and have never cut my throat. I have no problem calling it a cut throat razor, after all these are not your multi blade lady shavers.

Fascinating read. A quote from the article:

"At the same time, the Crimes Amendment Act 1930 was also passed, leading to six-month imprisonment terms for anyone found possessing cutthroat razors without good reason"

Good reason. How many B&B'ers can come up with a good reason when the police find the horde of razors stashed about?
:laugh:

"At the same time, the Crimes Amendment Act 1930 was also passed, leading to six-month imprisonment terms for anyone found possessing cutthroat razors without good reason"

Good reason. How many B&B'ers can come up with a good reason when the police find the horde of razors stashed about?

Don't worry about the police, worry about an excuse when your wife finds out!:blink:

Don't worry about the police, worry about an excuse when your wife finds out!:blink:

Rarely a truer word has been spoken. :lol:

I think it just scares people! The term cut throat, although inaccurate of it - under normal circumstances, keeps people who would benefit from the experience away because they can not think of anything other than slipping and cutting their throat.

What would be a better name?

Straight Razor is great but another 21st century name would help the brand a lot.

mrlandpirate

Got lucky with dead badgers
:laugh: $Astra Astra.jpgIRazor

Hate that term too. But straight razor does not nail it either. Worse is the french term coup choux (cabbage cutter) .Best is German: Rasiermesser as opposed to Rasierhobel (DE), Rasierapparat (electrical) and Rasierer (anything else). Why do English speaking folks not use shaving knive, just like the Germans? That would be the best term, wouldn't it?

Last edited:
In French I've seen razoir droit (literally straight razor).

Though Wikipedias entry in French also refers to it as a sabre - which I think is a great name for it.

You guys may not believe it, but straight razors are practically banned in India (at least nobody sells them), due to the simple reason that they got used for gang wars and similar crimes.

So, they were practically used as "Cut throat" razors.

I don't say cut-throat, though that's mainly because I speak swedish mostly... But when using english I refrain from that term, I find it is kinda poking fun of the ol' silly ways of shaving. Looking on websites after straights I just find it a tad bit unproffesional to refer to these noble tools as cut-throats. But interresting to know the history behind the term which seems to be older than I thought!

Top Bottom