What's new

Custom straight.

I ordered a custom straight razor when ordered my custom scuttle. It's been a few months and got my first pictures tonight. It's not finished, but here she is So far. $uploadfromtaptalk1436146196047.jpg$uploadfromtaptalk1436146204629.jpg

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
Those scales just look inspiring! .... The smile on that blade would seem to be something I would love to shave with, yet be entirely unable to hone. :tongue_sm

Neat looking razor! But you may need to be extra careful on the strop with that tail and those curved scales. Good luck!

Very visually striking, but for me the most interesting parts are the technical aspects. From a honing/stropping/geometry perspective, the 'razor' is formed between the edge and the spine side of the hollow, approximately midway in the blade. The area from the grind line to the back of the spine does not function as part of the geometry of the blade but rather as art, though it does move the actual razor in relation to the tang and obviously effects the weight and balance of the razor.

I like the brass inserts in contrast to the pattern welded steel. I also like the fact that the etch goes all of the way to the edge, of course honing will create a non etched reveal at the bevel but this would normally be much narrower, and I think more attractive, than the mask usually done by most makers using pattern welded steel.

I could be wrong but it appears microchipped at the toe, toothy. It's an easy fix if it is.

Last edited:
That's not a chip but the Damascus. It probably could be polished and smoothed out a bit more on the heel and tip.

I will try and shave with it tomorrow and figure if it is good enough or if I need to send it off or try and fix it myself.

Did you ask him how it was honed (ie: tape... and how many layers)
That way when you touch it up, you won't have as much work to do.

Last edited:
Top Bottom