What's new

Custom clone

This is where I started:
A new qshave futur clone, and two lumps of metal, aluminum and brass.

IMG_0001.JPG

All the machining was done on a 1947 South Bend 9A. No electronics, no dividing head. I mentioned in my intro that I have been a hobby gunsmith for over 30 years. The handle is made to the same dimensions as I currently use for a muzzle brake for a centerfire rifle. My idea was to create a bottom adjust futur clone. The machining is kind of like sculpting, you start with a lump of metal, and remove everything that doesn't look like the finished product.

IMG_0003.JPG

Before I assemble the parts, the next slide shows how to really firm up your clone. Notice the two pieces of shim stock in the pic. One goes around the smooth machined part on the head, just above the threads, one goes around the spring. These two pieces of .004" shim stock take up the slop in the tolerances in the head. Makes a big difference in the feel of the shaver. You can use brass or stainless.

IMG_0004.JPG

The brass shims are visible on the following partial assembly. The handle is secured to the head with JB Weld, as is the knurled base for the adjusting rod, and the brass bearing on the base of the handle.

IMG_0006.JPG

Partial Assembly (almost there...)

IMG_0011.JPG

And finally...

IMG_0007.JPG

All the parts are either aluminum or brass. Any exposed zamak was encapsulated in JB Weld.

I guess I should name the critter...
FatFut?
"SS" (shooter's special)?

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's one last pic of the new guy hangin' with his fat bros...
From the left: Two Canadian Pre-war fat handled techs, long bar on the left, segmented bar on the right, '59 Fatboy, the new guy, and another qshave that showed up today. I have another idea for that one...

I haven't shaved with it yet! The JB Weld needs 24 hours to completely cure. I also made a shim to compensate for the slight blade misalignment. Easy fix.
I probably won't use it much, I'm really fond of my gillette adjustables and techs.

That looks great, and you've actually improved it by moving the adjustment to a bottom knob, so there's no more need to grab the head to make adjustments, you can just hold onto the outer shaft. Colour me impressed!

The machining in this project is pretty easy stuff. Just time consuming. Each one of those holes must be punched, center drilled,then through drilled into the bore. All 28 of them. Time flies when you're having fun.

That looks great, and you've actually improved it by moving the adjustment to a bottom knob, so there's no more need to grab the head to make adjustments, you can just hold onto the outer shaft. Colour me impressed!

Thank you! I'll take it for it's shakedown cruise tomorrow morning.

Top Bottom