What's new

current formulations of 80s bests

Ive never tried the Veg, nor Clubmans other than the orig. I have a few AS, but we're talking colognes here.

Right now i have orginal Drakkar Noire on (bought it new )with Skin Bracer AS also. (i tried currrent Drakkar it sucks.)

Last 2 days i used Azzaro PH and Quorum respectively, current reformulations, sprayong on a lot, looking for good longevity. Quorum lasts longer.

I tried Knize Ten a few weeks ago but balked at price $125 for 120ml. Main excuse was i found out here thay Guerlaine Vetivier is only $60 from fragrancent.com and while diff, i tested that and determined its ok. But i didnt buy that either after i found Azzaro and Quorum for under $20 and have been using Tabac (as) so I ordered Tabac edc and edt for $22 approx each (still waiting for arrival.) I wasn content with the scent of Knize Ten, felt it was too soft and spicey (though good). What caused me to feel that was trying Santa Maria Novella Spanish Leather ($125) which i didnt buy yet either due to cost.

Right now im focused on Quorum and Tabac (edc and edt) with Azzaro for more arrogant uses. (I already bought these, Tacac are incoming.)

My future purchase plans are the $7.99 Brut cologne in plastic bottle (to go with the AS.)

Also id like to get currrent Paco Rabanne PH (i tried it) but its about $49 for 200ml on fragrancenet,com for a reform. with bad reviews.

Halston 1-12 and z-14 are both in Ross cheap, both bad refoarms i read.

Polo greeen is about $60 for 100ml online, i think its a pretty good reform i tried it.

I think im doing good with what o already have.

I have the current formulation of Lapidus PH, another monster scent from that era. If you haven't tried it yet, you should.

There's a blog by a guy whose taste is very similar to mine. He has a lot to say about many of the scents you've described. It's called pour Monsieur. I encourage you to check it out. Have fun on your journey!

Ive read through Monsieur's blog and also some of his reviews on basenotes.com and fragrantica.com

Monsieur's name on those 2 above sites is shamus or shamus 1. I may have first found his blog due to post by you on this site. As u know, almost every fragrance in this thread is discussed by him. Quorum and Azzzaro PH are his top favorites and Paco Rabanne PH used to be his fav. Tabac edc is about #11 on his list. Polo green he used for many yrs.

Last edited:
I recd the Tabac edt and edc i ordered off Amazon. Ive already beeen using Tabac AS. So far ive tried the edt. I had, ordered despite reviews that said its not as good as the edc, because i read its more similar to Paco Rabanne PH which i like but dont currently have. My first impression wasnt great but i really like the drydown and its very familiar to me. (I wonder if a relative used it or maybe the AS used to smell more like this.) It also seems very longlasting as the box says. Its not as arrogant smelling as Azzaro (or Aramis). To me, any negative reviews of this scent as compared to Tabac AS may be related to lack of patience with the drydown. I have yet to try the Tabac edc but I will. I think a great deal of thought and skill went into this edt formulation (along with the as). From what it says on the box, they were looking to design for longevity too. The thoughts i get from comparing the scents of Tabac, Azzaro and Quorum, which im now focused on, is theyre very different, by different minds with different concepts. so far the Tabac edt is the most compelling to me but its the newest to me.

Hi im new with fragrances but ive been closing in on the 80s powerhouse colognes. Im curious for opinions, comparisons, best deals. Only talking about current reformulatons, im not going to look or vintage bottles. So far i got Azzaro PH in Ross for $20, new to me, but its definitely very weak longevity. I tried Paco Rabanne PH, very good, read its weak too but didnt buy yet. Tried Drakkar Noire in Target.... its so weak its ridculous (i have orig bottle.)
Tried Aramis a few times, the initial scent smells like urine to me so i pass. Fahrenheit... not in love with the gas-like smell, so i pass. Quorum, Tzar, havent found them to test yet. Dior Eau Sauvage, tried it in Sephora, seems like weak reform. But i really like Dior Eua Sauvage Perfum, newish product, not the same. But its $80 and out of stock on fragrancenet.com. Polo Green Bottle, really like it, think its about $60 on fragrancenet.com. (All prices above for 100ml, I think.)
Brut cologne, only have the AS, plan to get the 5 oz plastic bottle cologne off Amazon. Tabac... got the AS and edc, but just ordered the edt off Amazon because i read its more like Paco PH.

So basically the only currently sold formulations with good longevity of products in this realm of scents that i currently know of is Polo green bottle for about $60 or (if its similar enough to be consideres in same realm) Dior Eau Sauvage Perfum for $80.

I think Creed Aventus is in same realm too but what is that, $260 discounted?

Im wondering if the $80 Azzao PH in Sephora maybe is longer longevity than the $20 in Ross, because Enrique Egliasis is know endorsing it so maybd theyre selling a good formulation.

Hi im new with fragrances but ive been closing in on the 80s powerhouse colognes. Im curious for opinions, comparisons, best deals. Only talking about current reformulatons, im not going to look or vintage bottles. So far i got Azzaro PH in Ross for $20, new to me, but its definitely very weak longevity. I tried Paco Rabanne PH, very good, read its weak too but didnt buy yet. Tried Drakkar Noire in Target.... its so weak its ridculous (i have orig bottle.)
Tried Aramis a few times, the initial scent smells like urine to me so i pass. Fahrenheit... not in love with the gas-like smell, so i pass. Quorum, Tzar, havent found them to test yet. Dior Eau Sauvage, tried it in Sephora, seems like weak reform. But i really like Dior Eua Sauvage Perfum, newish product, not the same. But its $80 and out of stock on fragrancenet.com. Polo Green Bottle, really like it, think its about $60 on fragrancenet.com. (All prices above for 100ml, I think.)
Brut cologne, only have the AS, plan to get the 5 oz plastic bottle cologne off Amazon. Tabac... got the AS and edc, but just ordered the edt off Amazon because i read its more like Paco PH.

So basically the only currently sold formulations with good longevity of products in this realm of scents that i currently know of is Polo green bottle for about $60 or (if its similar enough to be consideres in same realm) Dior Eau Sauvage Perfum for $80.

I think Creed Aventus is in same realm too but what is that, $260 discounted?

Im wondering if the $80 Azzao PH in Sephora maybe is longer longevity than the $20 in Ross, because Enrique Egliasis is know endorsing it so maybd theyre selling a good formulation.

Hi,
I understand where you are coming from. Below are some recommendations which you may find helpful.

Paco Rabanne - if the back of the box lists Oakmoss as one of the ingredients buy it as there many boxes that still contain Oakmoss being sold at discount stores and at Perfumania stores.

Drakkar - better substitute is Lomani Pour Homme (you can find Lomani at small fragrance stores in malls etc and make sure the version lists Oakmoss on the back of the box versus the newer version that does not contain moss and is not the same. This lasts all day with a few sprays and is under 20 bucks for 100ml

Halston Z-14 - This and Drakkar ruled the 80s and we're both very Masculine smells. you can easily buy a vintage Halston version for less than 30 bucks at Halston Gift Set Halston Z-14 By Halston | eBay

Polo Green - Most Polo made in the past 15 years contains treemoss as an ingredient and it smells good and lasts several hours. Also, you can buy Stetson Sierra very cheaply at Walmart or on the web as Sierra smells like original Polo, contains quaility and lasts a while with a few sprays.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
If you want Polo Green cheaper, get a tester.

Same, but no cap and marked Polo on neck.

Have almost all of these; Lapidus was late to the party but it is great.

AA

I like Eau Sauvage which is not 80s but 60s. Its not a powerhouse. But the hedione gets screechy on some days. I like Chanel Antaeus. Kouros got the old-er lady approval at customer service when I returned it. I tried to sample Chanel Egoiste by purchasing the deododorant. Supposedly, it smells like the original formulation. I just smelled what the potpourri smells like in a fancy shopping mall restroom.

As I posted above, I loved kanon in the 80s and mourn its demise. I keep trying the new $8 EDT they sell at Marshall's or TJMaxx expecting it to be better than the last time I took it out but alas, its always a pale imitation. However, I just shaved and used Clubman Vanilla aftershave, and after it dried a bit I hit my neck with 2 little sprays with the kanon. Together they're not bad. Its still not 1986 kanon, but we'll see what happens over the next hour or two.

I got Kouros a couple of years ago, so I am sure it is not the original version, but it is still extremely powerful and long lasting. I love Kouros, but it is polarizing for sure, so if you can get a sample or a decant, I would go that route. A full bottle can be had for not much on the discount sites, so picking up a bottle is not that much of a risk.

Anteus can be found at stores sometimes. My local Nordstroms carries it.

The current VC&A reforms are good - both Tsar and Pour Homme. Eau Sauvage Parfum mentioned above is currently out of stock most places as a new formula (not a reform - a new fragrance really (different notes)) is set to arrive at the end of this month (Europe anyway).

Halston Z-14 - This and Drakkar ruled the 80s and we're both very Masculine smells. you can easily buy a vintage Halston version for less than 30 bucks at Halston Gift Set Halston Z-14 By Halston | eBay

I bought the same gift set listed in that eBay auction at Walgreens for $8 just after the last holiday season, but I assumed it was NOT vintage. It was in a plain brown box with aftershave. I don't know the original to know any different, but I do love it! Cinnamony goodness.

nostalgia? same reason we love old Def Leppard and Duran Duran :)

what is nostalgic for one, might be current affairs for another!

proxy.php

I bought the same gift set listed in that eBay auction at Walgreens for $8 just after the last holiday season, but I assumed it was NOT vintage. It was in a plain brown box with aftershave. I don't know the original to know any different, but I do love it! Cinnamony goodness.

I thought I may have lucked out, but alas, mine is the newest incarnation. I love it, but will still keep an eye out for the earlier version(s).

Top Bottom