What's new

current formulations of 80s bests

Hi im new with fragrances but ive been closing in on the 80s powerhouse colognes. Im curious for opinions, comparisons, best deals. Only talking about current reformulatons, im not going to look or vintage bottles. So far i got Azzaro PH in Ross for $20, new to me, but its definitely very weak longevity. I tried Paco Rabanne PH, very good, read its weak too but didnt buy yet. Tried Drakkar Noire in Target.... its so weak its ridculous (i have orig bottle.)
Tried Aramis a few times, the initial scent smells like urine to me so i pass. Fahrenheit... not in love with the gas-like smell, so i pass. Quorum, Tzar, havent found them to test yet. Dior Eau Sauvage, tried it in Sephora, seems like weak reform. But i really like Dior Eua Sauvage Perfum, newish product, not the same. But its $80 and out of stock on fragrancenet.com. Polo Green Bottle, really like it, think its about $60 on fragrancenet.com. (All prices above for 100ml, I think.)
Brut cologne, only have the AS, plan to get the 5 oz plastic bottle cologne off Amazon. Tabac... got the AS and edc, but just ordered the edt off Amazon because i read its more like Paco PH.

So basically the only currently sold formulations with good longevity of products in this realm of scents that i currently know of is Polo green bottle for about $60 or (if its similar enough to be consideres in same realm) Dior Eau Sauvage Perfum for $80.

I think Creed Aventus is in same realm too but what is that, $260 discounted?

Im wondering if the $80 Azzao PH in Sephora maybe is longer longevity than the $20 in Ross, because Enrique Egliasis is know endorsing it so maybd theyre selling a good formulation.

I got Quorum for $15 at Ross. Its real good. Smells smoother, less edgy than Azzaro. Its also somewhat like Polo green bottle. I think its similar to Aventus at 1/20th the price but Im relying on memory. Still want to get the other ones i list above but this one is real good. So far if i had to pick just one (not including Creed for $300) Id pick Polo green bottle. Quorum is 1/3 the price and in the same realm.

Im wondering if the $80 Azzao PH in Sephora maybe is longer longevity than the $20 in Ross, because Enrique Egliasis is know endorsing it so maybd theyre selling a good formulation.

I'm going to guess that is highly unlikely. You could always go test a spritz next time you are there though. You're just seeing the difference between a retail price with a marketing campaign and a discount seller.

Others from the 80's that I don't think have been neutered quite as badly: Zino Davidoff, CK Obsession and Versace l'Homme. All can be had around $20.

I should ask, what is it that draws you to the 80's fragrances? I enjoy stronger scents, but tend to prefer more modern blends as they seem smoother and more rounded. It's still quite possible to find modern blends that have strength.

Last edited:
What draws me to them is the scent, which is similar of ones i list. Its a powerhouse manly scent, i think theyre all frougeres, with similar note structures including oakmoss, patchouli, leather, with some sort of citrus top note. Its a style of fragrance from late 70s and 80s. Ck Obsession i dont think is at all similiar (though may be from 80s.) There are some modern fragrances in the frougee realm i think, but im no expert. I think Creed Aventus is similar and Dior Eau Sauvage Perfum may be slighlty similar, im not sure but i like it. Most modern fragrances are dissimilar ie all of the acqua, fresh scents. I was around in the late 70s, 80s so the old school scents and style appeals to me.

Last edited:
I tried the Azzaro PH at Sephora but didnt determine if longevity wss any diff than $20 bottle I got at Ross. The packaging is new (at least box), scent seems same.

Halston z-14.... its at Marshalls for under $20. reviews complain about reformulation but shamus (reviewer particularly into these scents says its still worthwhile, has mon monseur blog) considering the price. Ive never smelled new or old versions but its compared to Polo green and Tom Ford Italian Cypress (expensive may be discontinued, dont know). Shamus says Z-14 predates Azzaro and Quorum.

What draws me to them is the scent, which is similar of ones i list. Its a powerhouse manly scent, i think theyre all frougeres, with similar note structures including oakmoss, patchouli, leather, with some sort of citrus top note. Its a style of fragrance from late 70s and 80s. Ck Obsession i dont think is at all similiar (though may be from 80s.) There are some modern fragrances in the frougee realm i think, but im no expert. I think Creed Aventus is similar and Dior Eau Sauvage Perfum may be slighlty similar, im not sure but i like it. Most modern fragrances are dissimilar ie all of the acqua, fresh scents. I was around in the late 70s, 80s so the old school scents and style appeals to me.

Understood. Of the ones I mentioned I have the Versace and Obsession. Obsession definitely falls well outside of the fragrances you have been describing. I also have a bottle of Azzaro, though it sees little use.

Drakkar, I have an old Cosmair, Inc. labeled bottle. I understand this is among the older, stronger formulations. Of all things, I hear the $8 "version of" Drakkar that sells at Walmart is one of the closest matches to the old scent.

I also see recommendations for YSL Kouros and Chanel Antaeus. I've not tried them myself, so I can't really offer too much feedback other than to say the reviews still point to strong longevity.

I havent run across Kouros and Anteus yet but ive read of them. Now that i have new bottles of Azzaro and Quorum, plus both edc and edt bottles of Tabac en route to me (again the edt is suppposed to be like Paco Rabann PH I read) im not so desparate to find more. Though im waiting for 5ml empty spay bottles from Amazon so i can carry a replenisher supply of Azzaro when i wear it out since it seems low longevity. Im not wearing these to work as i work in a no fragrance allowed cubicle.
I find i can use Tabac AS before work but thats as much fragrance risk as i will take at work. Nights and weekends i can try out stronger colognes.

The ones im looking to get next are the $7.99 Brut cologne plastic bottle to go with my Brut AS, and Polo green bottle cologne that im still thinking of from trying it in a store Saturday. At $50 to $60 for 100ml its not so compelling though.

Last edited:
Halston z14 is a magnificent classic sent with that manly unforgettable retro vibe. My wife loves it, I love it and it is a great indulgence to spray it on – – particularly in the cooler months. However it has been reformulated and this is a significant reformulation. It is not what it once was and this has to do with, among other things, the exclusion of oakmoss in the current formulation.

The good news is that you can still find the original by looking for the promotional packaging featuring racecar driver Jeff Gordon. I know, it's cheesy, but that formulation – – still found on eBay from time to time has oakmoss in it and is absolutely stunning. It's also quite cheap. I have three 100 mL bottles each of which cost $15 shipped in the last year. If you can, get it with the small bottle of aftershave. The aftershave is a perfect scent match, and I just can't think of anything better when it is wintry them to splash that on my face after a shave.

I suggest you persevere until you can find the original – – the Jeff Gordon NASCAR packaging. You'll be well rewarded with a potent masterpiece of masculine fragrance art.

Aventus by the way, is not a fougere, but it's creed sibling Green Irish Tweed is.
Aventus is a linear sent, which means it doesn't transform while you are wearing it--what you get at the beginning is more or less what you have for the next 6 to 8 hours. But still it is great.

For an interesting fougere try Sartorial or Patrick. Really good stuff.

Btw: Tom Ford Italian Cypress is basically the same scent as the classic formulation of Z14. I have both, so I can attest to their near identicalness. I have read that it is his homage to Halston Z 14.

Thanks for the info but i dont want to search for vintage discontinued fragrances, im trying to orient this discussion on what can be found on the shelfs at stores now. I think I read Tom Ford IC is discontinued but im not sure. If its not discontinued, its probably expensive. I prefer inexpensive buys. As to frougere vs chypre (sp?) Definitions of fragrances, im not informed but regardless of categorizations i still think Creed Aventus is more like Aramis and Azzaro etc than Creed GIT is. I think ive read that. My thinking, after trying both Creeds in a store, is that Aventus is more of the agressive scent to try to pick up women, like wearing an expensive suit and flashy tie and bling, in a nightclub, whereas GIT is more of a distinguished gentleman who is more suave (who might attract women more that way.) Basically Al Pacino v. Cary Grant (who bespoke GIT.) Just my opinions.

Last edited:
From my reading online, TF IC is either discontinued or in process of that, and its expensive. Its considered similar to Z14 old formulation and Polo green.

Roger & Gallet L'Homme.

Only available in Europe. Unchanged since it's release in 1982. Better than most '80's powerhouses (many say...the best).
proxy.php

Last edited:
Test use of the $20 Azzaro PH from Ross, longevity being able to smell it on my arm right up to my nose is less than an hour. I have to believe Ross is selling a very weak formulation obtained during a period where there was some closeout. But since Sephora is now selling Azzaro PH for over $80 in a new box with Inrique Iglasias' picture on it, I have t o believe the longevity has to be better because otherwise theyd be flooded with complaints aa nd returns. I spray tested the scent at Sephora but couldnt tell the longevity. If i go back there i can do a better test. The $20 bottle from Ross is almost useless. If I used it at a singles event, id have to replenish every 45 minutes.
I dont think this is olfactory fatigue because i can still smell the Quorum i sprayed on my other arm (also from Ross, i think it was 16.99 for 50ml
50ml, almost twice the cost of Azarro PH for $20 for 100ml.) I like Azzaro but the longevity lack i frustrating. Im not sure how much better this Quorum is (i have no confidence in its longevity or or sillage either) but its better. Id rather pay and get something i know has good longevity and sillage so i can concentrate on other things.
Im tempted to go with a real, currrent, popular fragrance from a reputable company . I dont know Sephora's return policy but if i pay $80 for Azzaro PH there and it acts like the $20 Azzaro PH from Ross, Id certainly try to return it.

Last edited:
Correction re pricing, above.. Azarro PH at Ross is 200ml, Quorum is 100 ml.

The fragrance from France listed above is $70 on Amazon for 100ml and not retailed in US. Expensive blind buy and reviews i read online say its NOT a powerhouse but longevity is good. For that much $ Id rather go with something i can test in US and that is more of a powerhouse. Again, all ive found so far is Polo green bottle that isnt quite as compelling to me of scents of Azzaro PH and Quorum. [Edit... amazon uk reviews of that French fragrance above say its been reformulated badly, calling it a travesty.]

Last edited:
Correction re pricing, above.. Azarro PH at Ross is 200ml, Quorum is 100 ml.

The fragrance from France listed above is $70 on Amazon for 100ml and not retailed in US.

Which fragrance? Quorum is on US Amazon for $11. Azzaro is there too but your price at Ross is better.

Test use of the $20 Azzaro PH from Ross, longevity being able to smell it on my arm right up to my nose is less than an hour. I have to believe Ross is selling a very weak formulation obtained during a period where there was some closeout. But since Sephora is now selling Azzaro PH for over $80 in a new box with Inrique Iglasias' picture on it, I have t o believe the longevity has to be better because otherwise theyd be flooded with complaints aa nd returns. I spray tested the scent at Sephora but couldnt tell the longevity. If i go back there i can do a better test. The $20 bottle from Ross is almost useless. If I used it at a singles event, id have to replenish every 45 minutes.
I dont think this is olfactory fatigue because i can still smell the Quorum i sprayed on my other arm (also from Ross, i think it was 16.99 for 50ml
50ml, almost twice the cost of Azarro PH for $20 for 100ml.) I like Azzaro but the longevity lack i frustrating. Im not sure how much better this Quorum is (i have no confidence in its longevity or or sillage either) but its better. Id rather pay and get something i know has good longevity and sillage so i can concentrate on other things.
Im tempted to go with a real, currrent, popular fragrance from a reputable company . I dont know Sephora's return policy but if i pay $80 for Azzaro PH there and it acts like the $20 Azzaro PH from Ross, Id certainly try to return it.

If you want longevity and sillage, go for Kouros.

Kouros has been reformulated in the last few years. I havent tried it yet. Opinions online, mostly of older versions are highly polarized. Since I find current versions of Aramis and Fahrenheit disagreeable (scents similar to urine and gasoline respectively) and since older versions of Kouros are so polarized (numerous opinions mention cat urine) I doubt I will like it, but havented tried it yet.

Kouros has been reformulated in the last few years. I havent tried it yet. Opinions online, mostly of older versions are highly polarized. Since I find current versions of Aramis and Fahrenheit disagreeable (scents similar to urine and gasoline respectively) and since older versions of Kouros are so polarized (numerous opinions mention cat urine) I doubt I will like it, but havented tried it yet.

I bought my Kouros late last year, so I suspect it's the reformulated version. It's still powerful stuff. My most distinctive scent. Of course, I also rock the Veg. Kouros and Knize Ten have the greatest sillage among my 30+ colognes (according to my wife, who is in a much better position to gauge such things).

Top Bottom